Sign in to follow this  
mrray13

si d2 15 proto

yep, got it today...

and already have it installed...

it's in 2.5ft^3 tuned to ~34hz with 25in^2 of port and currently recieving 1200wrms @ 4ohm from my orion.

no review yet as i haven't done any real listening sessions..but for those who are wanting to compete with it...

it'll take at least 2500wrms. it won't like it for daily, but for burps..it did fine.

ok...tomorrow night or thrusday night, a full review.

pics follow...

simagd20016vd.jpg

simagd20027ma.jpg

simagd20037vb.jpg

a shiny ass

simagd20046ey.jpg

installed in one of my old treo ss's enclosures..specs above

simagd20058da.jpg

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Looks good :)

Looking forward to the detailed review!

x2 on what steve said. Cant wait for them to come in :D

I'm so interested to see how it will work in that enclosure as I know the previous version was poo in that tiny thing vented.

Sweetness! I thought Bob might have been holding it for ransom there for a while. ;) 'glad to see that he got it off to you. I just got off the phone with Chris about his order (above post). Time to drink a beer and hit the sack!

looking good kent, very interested to hear about it

Noticed in those pictures the sub isn't using woven tinsel leads. Is there a reason? Aren't you worried about tinsel slap? Also I've always had problems with speakers that didn't have the woven tinsel leads (the tinsel leads would break).

Noticed in those pictures the sub isn't using woven tinsel leads.  Is there a reason?  Aren't you worried about tinsel slap?  Also I've always had problems with speakers that didn't have the woven tinsel leads (the tinsel leads would break).

Better than were and tear of woven...which can over time damage the spider in high excursion instances. Tinsel slap is non-existant...may have existed like 3-5 years ago...but tis no more...felt pads on back of cone take care of it...

NG

Tis' true. 12 had none whatsoever. Instead of noticing them not being woven, notice how thick of a guage lead is used :)

Noticed in those pictures the sub isn't using woven tinsel leads.  Is there a reason?  Aren't you worried about tinsel slap?  Also I've always had problems with speakers that didn't have the woven tinsel leads (the tinsel leads would break).

Marketing scheme used by another company who makes a big deal out of it. They shouldn't. It's really nothing special. I've only had 1 driver ever have lead slap and that was the Brahma. Like has been said previously, it's just not a problem anymore for really anyone.

The leads are explained on the 12" web page. :)

They are also very large leads like Ryan mentioned, and they are very very flexible too...compared to other lead wires out there.

well....got some listening time on it...lil better then an hour and half.

but no review yet. i want to hear it sealed before i write anything.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

The leads are explained on the 12" web page.  :)

They are also very large leads like Ryan mentioned, and they are very very flexible too...compared to other lead wires out there.

Yeah the tinsel leads that I had a problem with were on some not so good subs I got from crutchfield. It happened to around 7 subs I believe. They had thin wire though and one of them the tinsel lead wire was too short in my opinion.

welp, review time.

first, thanks to nick for letting me play with it a bit. i appreciate it a bunch.

now on to the nitty gritty...

clarity. this sub plays clean. the only time i could get it to distort was with 2500wrms and even then, it slapped more then it distorted. my rl-p is about the only other sub i've heard play this clean.

response. using dimmu borgir, i forget the song, tom? ,the MAG had some trouble with the really fast double kicks. while it wasn't bad, it was noticible. switching to ac/dc, i noticed a lack of upper freq's. after listening to several different songs and artists, i came to the conclusion this sub just didn't want to play them loud. but throw in lil john or ludicriss..wow, this thing can sure go low! it loves the low notes, alot! again, my rl-p and my solo x are the only subs i've owned that liked to go this low.

output. while this is mostly box dependent, and i don't think my box was big enough, i'll say this. i think it has great potential, and in the right box would be quite loud. however, in this box, 2.5ft^3 tuned to 34hz, it was "just" loud. i had to adjust my settings to get it up to the point i thought it was respectable. don't get me wrong, it was loud, just not as loud as i think it should have been. again, i believe this to be more of a box issue, not sub. adn again, while not the loudest, it was definitely one of the cleanest getting loud. be it 1200wrms or 2500, it was almost impossible to get it to distort.

overall i believe this to be a nice sub. this one having a motor issue (chrome on the inside where it didn't belong) probably held it back some. being in too small of a box didn't help it on the output end of things. it is clean, very clean, impressively clean. it handled all but the fastest transients well and with some adjusting, got respectably loud. this is definitely an sql driver and a fine on at that! i wouldn't hesitate to recommend this sub to ppl looking for a sub capable of bieng loud and sounding clean doing it.

again, all listening done in 2.5ft^3tuned to 34hz with 25in^2 of port. the sealed thing didn't go thru as the box was sold. :(

nick, i've got the sub packaged, just gotta get it shipped. will try for later this week. thanks again for letting me play with ur baby. it was worth it!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Good review, Kent.

Thanks for taking note of the upper freq. stuff.

Brahma 15's lack in the upper bass as well

Not a problem. Thanks for the review! If you can, just send it back our PO Box address (3082, Mooresville NC 28117). :)

You damn people and your "upper bass." :Doh:

We need to introduce you guys to MIDBASS and REAL subbass. B)

Hack up your doors and have some fun dammit. :P

Good review Kent. I had the feeling that enclosure wouldn't be spectacular, but what do I know. My experience with the previous Mag, albeit a totally different beast, led me to the conclusion that anything 3 cubes or less is just too small vented. My own personal opinion though. Some may like it.

You damn people and your "upper bass." :Doh:

We need to introduce you guys to MIDBASS and REAL subbass. B)

Hack up your doors and have some fun dammit. :P

Good review Kent.  I had the feeling that enclosure wouldn't be spectacular, but what do I know.  My experience with the previous Mag, albeit a totally different beast, led me to the conclusion that anything 3 cubes or less is just too small vented.  My own personal opinion though.  Some may like it.

lol, as i listened to the MAG, i truly realized that my midbass is lacking that much. potential project? maybe.

as to real subbass, i will definitley stand in line to say that the MAG LOVES to play sub bass. from about 45-50hz down, this thing is STRONG. get real low, in the 20-30 hz range and this thing just reaches. alot. i can only imagine how much stronger it would be down low in a slightly larger box, say 3ft^3 tuned low 30's...shake a car to bits!

and ur right, it didn't do spectacular in this enclosure, but it did real well. handled tons of power and like i said earlier, was amazingly clean. was a little slow, but only on the really fast stuff. but u called it, it's a large box sub. at least ported. i didn't even get the kind of excursion aaron got from the 12, even with 2500wrms rated. i really believe the box held it back on the output end of things.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

The longer and longer I'm into car audio I find that most people don't have, but need, a great midbass setup. Hell, I've got two 8's in a friends car and it isn't enough, I've got two Koda's and they aren't enough, etc. However, the systems without midbass drivers ... well, it baffles me how people get by like that. ;) Having good midbass makes or breaks systems.

But sub bass sure is fun! :D

I think I am going with some koda's for midbass as well! I have heard alot of good things about their midbass duty.

I have been searching for a strong midbass driver for a long time. It is time for me to just buy the damn koda's and see what I think.

Yes, Midbass is key to any system to get total SQ!!!!

I think I am going with some koda's for midbass as well! I have heard alot of good things about their midbass duty.

I have been searching for a strong midbass driver for a long time. It is time for me to just buy the damn koda's and see what I think.

Yes, Midbass is key to any system to get total SQ!!!!

My CDT HD's have excelent mid-bass. I had them in very tiny baffles and they played down to about 80hz. That obvously wasnt good enough for me. Took the baffles off, sealed my doors up, added egg crate behind the mids for better mid range clarity (egg crate is ised in my set up to break up the back wave from the speakers), added some soft clay to better seal the MDF mounting rings, and tada...they play clean all the way down to 63hz at the 12db x-over setting. No distortion, no breaking up, no over excursion. Just clean mid-bass.

I got the proto 12 back today. :( I didn't expect to see it come back with 3 scratches/chunks out of the surround, but oh well. I guess it'll just have to be inverted. :)