ambyrell1

magnet weight

how does this effect a sub, because i have been looking at the Atomic Apocalypse, 90oz magnet and the AQ HDC3 360oz magnet.Wouldn't the bigger magnet be better, louder?

No, magnet physical size has little to do with how loud a sub will go. :)There are MANY other factors to consider.

Magnet weight will tell you absolutely nothing about how good a subwoofer is.

A 50lb turd is still a turd.

sometimes a motor is exaggerated for this very stereotype....... bigger is better......... there are alot of factors involved when reveiwing a subwoofer,

the ability to decode the Theile Small parameters is important......

the subwoofers used in SPL only applications, tend to have bigger magnets, in order to keep control of the cone, due to the excessive power thrown at them.

so it would appear that the bigger subs showing up in the louder systems would confirm that...... not really thow.

there is alot of science involved, the appearance alone can not fairly represent the subs performance.

with that said, every sub i have bought has been due to the appearance and size........ :shrug:

oh welll, lol, i married the ol' lady for the same reason! :woot:

chop

IAK

for the most part, magnets will be very large on higher-end speakers that can handle more power, but if the rest of the woofer or speaker is crap, it doesn't really matter. many inexpensive posers out there have huge magnets but sometiems like 1 or 2" voice coil then claim to be a 3000 watt sub, lol no way. lots of things factor, but thing to remember is yes, generally speaking you need a large magnet to handle large amounts of power, but just because there is a large magnet doesn't mean it can handle a large amount of power.

Magnet size will not let you predict magnetic field strength without knowing more information. Magnetic field strength will surely affect the response of a driver, but is far from a logical selection criteria without a thorough understanding of what it does. Even then it isn't the first specification to look at.

I do think Brad said it better however...

Magnet weight will tell you absolutely nothing about how good a subwoofer is.

A 50lb turd is still a turd.

...I doubt you need a bigger turd.

Yea. You will see alot of cheaper companies want to keep up with the Jones' and throw a huge magnet on speakers, with cheap terminals and leads and the cone will be crap, etc.

sometimes a motor is exaggerated for this very stereotype....... bigger is better......... there are alot of factors involved when reveiwing a subwoofer,

the ability to decode the Theile Small parameters is important......

the subwoofers used in SPL only applications, tend to have bigger magnets, in order to keep control of the cone, due to the excessive power thrown at them.

so it would appear that the bigger subs showing up in the louder systems would confirm that...... not really thow.

there is alot of science involved, the appearance alone can not fairly represent the subs performance.

with that said, every sub i have bought has been due to the appearance and size........ :shrug:

oh welll, lol, i married the ol' lady for the same reason! :woot:

chop

IAK

:lol:

Yea. You will see alot of cheaper companies want to keep up with the Jones' and throw a huge magnet on speakers, with cheap terminals and leads and the cone will be crap, etc.

Sounds Like The Old SPL SPLW's, Nice "Looking" Motor And Basket, Crap Soft Parts.

Get A Recone From PSI Or Fi, Or Anywhere You Can However, And You Have An Okay Woofer On The Cheap.

(Saw A Perfectly Fine 15" At A Pawn Shop For $72.50, My Friend Dylynn However Bought A Kicker CVR 12" Dual 4 For $125 At This Same Pawn Shop Instead. Hilarity Ensued.)