jalat

IXL Power Handling

In the new year, I plan on picking up 12" IXL's and powering them off an Earthquake PHD3 (3000rms @ 1 ohm). This will all be going into a trunk setup, which will be my 139.9 bassrace machine for next season. My question is, will the IXL's be able to take the power daily?

In the new year, I plan on picking up 12" IXL's and powering them off an Earthquake PHD3 (3000rms @ 1 ohm). This will all be going into a trunk setup, which will be my 139.9 bassrace machine for next season. My question is, will the IXL's be able to take the power daily?

The IXL's will take 1000rms. How many will you have? Do you really think that amp will do 3000rms?

The IXL's will take 1000rms. How many will you have? Do you really think that amp will do 3000rms?

I wanna purchase two woofers.

The amp does rated power, but after volt drop, imp rise and all that, i would expect 2500rms

They dont need that power and really dont need all 1000watts to shine, so as long as your safe with the gains and volume know you could do it (just make sure you look, smell and hear for signs of stress).

They dont need that power and really dont need all 1000watts to shine, so as long as your safe with the gains and volume know you could do it (just make sure you look, smell and hear for signs of stress).

Well, I want something i can beat on. At the same time i'm not dumb, and wont be clipping the woofers and such. I'll have an extra batt for electrical and 2 runs of 1/0 wiring. On a single 12" and 1500rms I was able to burp a 140 @ 38hz and 139.2 on music. I wanna be able to burp around a 145 and music around 142ish

Well, I want something i can beat on. At the same time i'm not dumb, and wont be clipping the woofers and such. I'll have an extra batt for electrical and 2 runs of 1/0 wiring. On a single 12" and 1500rms I was able to burp a 140 @ 38hz and 139.2 on music. I wanna be able to burp around a 145 and music around 142ish

Have you heard of the BTL?

Its not about clipping, its about sending to much power to subs. Contact the mach5audio by email if he doesnt respond on her but I dont see the point in giving those driviers more than a 1000rms, just my .02. It looks like you want something that can take a beating, you may want to look into something else.

LOL yes as a matter of fact I have installed a 15" BTL loaded in my friends truck off an AQ 2200d @ 0.5 ohm and its retared loud. Gotta get it metered.

But as for the IXL's, They are within my price range, and I wanna support the Canadian Economy...

Set the gain's correctly and they will sound great. Just because you have a 3k watt amplifier, it does not mean you must set it to full tilt, and there are really no positive long term gains to push the drivers well past their ratted amount.

My IXL doesn't even sneeze at 1000wrms, as long as your careful I shouldn't imagine they'd complain too much with 1200-1300wrms of clean power.

Although you might be better off with the Mach 5 SPL12 for reliability sakes (and support the Canadian economy still).

Jono

LOL yes as a matter of fact I have installed a 15" BTL loaded in my friends truck off an AQ 2200d @ 0.5 ohm and its retared loud. Gotta get it metered.

But as for the IXL's, They are within my price range, and I wanna support the Canadian Economy...

I got it. They should be fine as long as you dont get too happy with the knobs.

The SPL's look nice but might be out of his price range.

"Canada huh?...Almost made it."

Edited by bigrank916

I tried to kill a prototype and couldn't. I only had a JL 1000/1 which I clipped real good and the woofer laughed....but I still am not recommending that you go and blindly do something. Listen for stress and you'll be fine though.

Tried to kill without wanting it to die...

The IXL's will clearly tell you what they like and dont like. In my extensive expierience with these drivers, they do take slightly more than rated power as long as it "Clean". I wouldnt run them there daily though. I metered my 2 IXL's on 750 rms combined and did a 141.0 legal. Now when I uped the power to 2000rms I did a 143.0.

This might sound silly, but is there any way to maybe get the IXL's custom made with SPL coils, something like how you can get DC Level 4 xl woofers?

This might sound silly, but is there any way to maybe get the IXL's custom made with SPL coils, something like how you can get DC Level 4 xl woofers?

I dont think there is. In order to get a coil similar to the SPL series in there would be a very hard thing to do. Theres just not as much gap space in there.

I dont think there is. In order to get a coil similar to the SPL series in there would be a very hard thing to do. Theres just not as much gap space in there.

ohh alright.

And although manufacturers "allow" you to do things like that unless you really know exactly what it will do to the whole response of the driver it isn't such a great idea. The IXL is a superb driver as it is, not sure why you'd want to change it.

And although manufacturers "allow" you to do things like that unless you really know exactly what it will do to the whole response of the driver it isn't such a great idea. The IXL is a superb driver as it is, not sure why you'd want to change it.

Agreed. Even if you could it would change things so drastically that you would no longer have a IXL. And that would be a pitty.