Sign in to follow this  
jellyfish420

hot cone

how hot should the cone get? after wanging pretty hard tonite for some reason i decided to feel the cone. i couldn't even keep my hands on them. i unstand that the vc produces heat and aluminum will "wick" the heat away from the "vc" which don't get me wrong, is a good thing. but how how does everyone else get?

Well, it is an aluminum cone so it will conduct heat.

I took my 12o out of its sealed enclosure and it was pretty toasty in there.

Not shure if my mmom was bumping it but it was warm to the touch

I noticed the same thing when I was running my PG 12ti (aluminum cone) after a good workout, just wrote it off to the voice coil.

DO NOT TOUCH THE CONE while the sub is playing, you can dimple the sub,

when the cone gets hot and is conducting heat it becomes a little soft during the process

i once gave my focal sub a real hard spanking and its got a metel dust cap now that was hot, and i tok the sub out to make some changes and for some reason i decided to stick my finger in the pole vent it was soooooo hot , never done it again since :Doh:

:idiot: <<<me

when the cone gets hot and is conducting heat it becomes a little soft during the process

no way am i stupid enough to do that. after a real good beating the other day i noticed that i could barely touch the cone...i was just making sure this was the norm :)

no way am i stupid enough to do that. after a real good beating the other day i noticed that i could barely touch the cone...i was just making sure this was the norm :)

yeah its natural, my Eclipse get cooking :domoslay:

is fire a risk? when running a sub hard in a sealed enclosure is it possible to ignite anything?

It wont get that hot.

Unless you have flammable materials in your enclosure :blink:

not unless you take fire to it

i would vacuum out any saw dust in your enclosure first though, for other reasons as well

is fire a risk? when running a sub hard in a sealed enclosure is it possible to ignite anything?

oh hell no, hot but not that kind of heat, just enough to make the metal soft

i made the uber hot... that was fun.

Any woofer will got hot after 'wangage'. Some have alot better cooling built into the motor then others, but they all heat up.

just means that it's time to give them a break. Also means that if you dont give them a break, You'll be smelling coil glue soon.

-Nick

just means that it's time to give them a break. Also means that if you dont give them a break, You'll be smelling coil glue soon.

-Nick

i've been there before :Doh:

when i smell the glue is when i shut it off for a while.

yes.

Its a good "warning" sign thats built into most subs

Yep as others have said, it is a normal occurance. Good thing we use an aluminum cone too, as a paper cone wouldn't be able to effectively cool the system. It really is an effective heatsink, but indeed you should be careful if it is getting super hot ;)