smokiethebear912

Smokie's Focus Build

I have read so many other build logs on here I figured I would contribute by showing how my first build turned out.

What Ford deemed adequate for my focus I deemed a bit weak.

105_0218.JPG

My old 8" from Ford

105_0219.JPG

My new Fi q12 d2 and my audioque 1200d

105_0199.JPG

Positive side 1/0 welding cable

105_0227.JPG

The 150 amp fuse

105_0225.JPG

My rear ground also in 1/0

105_0224.JPG

My box which upon further research my port is too small on

105_0214.JPG

My ghetto temporary amp rack

105_0217.JPG

Good thing I need to redo the box anyways as I blew out a corner somehow

105_0213.JPG

I am not quite sure what I am going to do next to replace this. I am unimpressed with my current output.

I don't know if it is from my improperly designed and created box or just that this SQ woofer won't get up to where I want it.

I am undecided in what to do next. Maybe get another q 12 and build a new box if I can spare the room, or put it in a sealed box and give it to my mother or sell it....

Any ideas?

Edited by smokiethebear912

might as well put an 18 in it. i had an 18" Q in my focus and it was rediculous.

I would go the cheaper route first which is to build a better box and then if still wanting more add on. What are the max dimensions you have that you want to dedicate to an enclosure (height x width x depth) and what do you want the port tuned to? Me or some other members may have box design for you in no time.

I would also remove that ford speaker in the trunk also.

try sub up port up. it works the best and sounds the best.

I would go the cheaper route first which is to build a better box and then if still wanting more add on. What are the max dimensions you have that you want to dedicate to an enclosure (height x width x depth) and what do you want the port tuned to? Me or some other members may have box design for you in no time.

I would also remove that ford speaker in the trunk also.

I removed the ford driver after those pictures were taken.

105_0231.JPG

I went out there and took some measurements. I can conservatively do 18" deep and 18" high (but would like to build a false floor to hide the amp and for room for future expansion.) The hatch is 40" wide wheel well to wheel well but the door is only 34" wide so that may cause some issues.

The only issue with a false floor is I would like to still have access to my spare tire easily. I learned that a box is a bitch to move to change a tire so something like this guy did from my focus forum would maybe be ideal.

21064970015_large.jpg

Just with out the amp in the middle so i can raise a hinged part for the spare wheel and still carry groceries. I have no problem giving up my back seats as no ever uses them and they just serve as a movable junk holding device.

Oh and the tuning i did this box to 32 hz as that was what is recommended but I couldn't tell you why 32 hz is recommended. I listen to a pretty diverse collection of music from Neil Young to Young Jeezy, but Rap/Hip Hop is what I mainly listen to.

I like the look of that setup from the focus forum

Ye, your port is WAY too small. If you need a box design just pm me.

I like the look of that setup from the focus forum

Well first thing I am going to have to pull the rear seats and see what the floor looks like underneath to see how hard it is going to be to mount,

and figure out what kind of space I have so I can decide on what size and type of drivers I want to use.

If I get the inititive maybe I will pull the rear seats after work and take some more pictures and see what kind of space I have available.

Nice sub. :)

On your next box, run a bead of titebond wood glue on every edge that is going to connect to another side. Then get silicon caulk and seal the seams of all the panels. And always have a port with a height to width ratio < 9:1.

Nice sub. :)

Thank you, I am sure my mom will like it... I am thinking of maybe 2 15" xcon's or something like that to replace that little baby on a sundown 3500

i just recently got a ford focus zx3 to i have 1 18 fi btl in mine its pretty loud but still alot of work to do the first box i had in there was 6 cubesand a tight fit the box i have now is like 4 cubes

i just recently got a ford focus zx3 to i have 1 18 fi btl in mine its pretty loud but still alot of work to do the first box i had in there was 6 cubesand a tight fit the box i have now is like 4 cubes

I hope you dont have that 18 Fi Q in 4 cubes of space, what a waste?

yea i like to change it up alot. the nightshade is alot louder but also geared towards spl more. def go sub n port up if u want to keep ur backseat

Edited by Brandon Daily

Sub up, Port up

3.5 cubic feet @ 34hz

And its also possible that your not getting the most out of your amp due to some voltage issues. Look into doing the BIG 3

On your next box, run a bead of titebond wood glue on every edge that is going to connect to another side. Then get silicon caulk and seal the seams of all the panels. And always have a port with a height to width ratio < 9:1.

I used titebond III to glue up the edges and shot brads in to keep the box held together while the glue dried. It feels very sturdy and heavy just improperly engineered.

I think this time i will just clamp the crap out of it and take my time as opposed to using the brads like i did before (was in a hurry to hear the beast).

I did use silicone caulk, but it doesn't seam to have worked well. It was just normal clear caulk you get at home depot that is what is causing that wet look at the joints.

I just drilled a hole for the speaker wire and sealed it with that caulk and that has broken lose and the wire now slides back and forth creating a leak.

I have seen some builds where people have used fiberglass and resin to seal up the box. Do you or any of the others here have any experence using the fiberglass?

I have never used it but I am willing to give it a try if it will work better than the caulk.

I have a feeling i am going to need some help designing my next enclosure so that everything works right and is built correctly as there is no bracing or 45's

in this box i have now and it seams like something most people are doing.

Is it in the hatch area? I would like 2 15's if I have the cubes available. For that fi q 18 they recommend between 5-10 cubes so how do you like the sound in 4?

From what i have read it seams if you have more cu ft you can get more output from the same amplification level as it is more efficent (up to a point as you can get to a point where you start bottoming out your sub).

yea i like to change it up alot. the nightshade is alot louder but also geared towards spl more. def go sub n port up if u want to keep ur backseat

From what i have see posted by people that have a nightshade it is supposed to be a great driver just a bit expensive.

I want to do something like that guy from FocusFanatics.com did where he used where his back seat would go to put a box.

I have only had 1 person in my back seat in the last year and he needs to get his own car and a license since he is 23 damn years old.

I do like the way I could make the false floor to hide the amps and batts, and still leave a way to access the spare tire as I have a history of

shreading tires (I shredded one just last week on the way back from Florida and it was a royal pain in the ass to change it having

to get that heavy box out then the wires kept me from placing it down on the ground so i had to set it on one end)

and also it would be nice to have a place for groceries when I go to walmart and such.

I am thinking maybe two 15" XCON's on a Sundown 3500 would be nice and more what I want. From what i have read those XCON's sound

fantastic but will be quite a bit louder than the Q. Especially after I do from 1 12 to 2 15's. More Cone Area FTW!!!

make sure u sound deaden that hatch..it rattles like hell with the sub and port facing it.

If you want space back there then why go with bigger drivers for? Don't think smaller size subs don't get loud.

also, u might b able to do a 2 15 setup in the hatch area, ur dimensions are 35 wide 20 deep and i did it 22 high, which was a little above the seat but not much.

If you want space back there then why go with bigger drivers for? Don't think smaller size subs don't get loud.

I am not planning on putting them in the hatch area. I want to pull out the back seat's and do something similar to

this setup someone on a focus forum has. I will include the picture again below

21064970015_large.jpg

I would say you made your box correctly, there was one main flaw when you bradded the nails in there you had nobody holding it down or applying pressure but yourself as you sent nails through. I did the same process with my box but it was me (my little ass) and two of my friends (6'5 and 6'6 dudes) holding it down while we did it and had great success. I bought extra glue so I could use my glue as my sealent also, not saying sealant isnt good enough just went over and beyond (made sure it as no gaps and nice caulk of glue all around every inside and outside crack). On your next box, use clamps to apply the extra pressure than use the nails if you still want to.

I am not planning on putting them in the hatch area. I want to pull out the back seat's and do something similar to

this setup someone on a focus forum has. I will include the picture again below

21064970015_large.jpg

So basically you want the box to go from back of the back seats to right where the hatch cargo begins, well measure that are and give us the max dimensions to see what you can fit if Im reading this correctly.

make sure u sound deaden that hatch..it rattles like hell with the sub and port facing it.

I need to sound deaden the whole car it already rattles as it is and the road noise is horrible in there. If I didn't have the road noise that 8 from ford would have sounded nice.

It was good when you were stopped with the engine off but on the freeway you could barely hear it. That is what started my descent in to the madness called car audio addiction.

I was just going to modify that box and put in a RF Punch P3 shallow but found out you can't modify the factory box if it was from after 2002 and so I got what was supposed to be

my permenant system and you guys see where that has lead...