Sign in to follow this  
waltham415

Is this amp bridgable?

Here is the situation, I am looking into buying some 100wrms component speakers. I found this amp (Alpine MRH-F255) in my friends trunk and he said I could have it. After searching the internet i found out that it is running 35X4rms along with a subwoofer channel. Does anyone know how I would go about bridging this amp into a 2 channel (if its even possible). This amp is running a wire harness for its speaker outputs and so I have absolutely no idea on how I would bridge it... And if I cant bridge it, would 35 watts sound better than just the head unit to power the speakers (most likely Alpine spr-17s or sps-600c)?

My second question is if i do deside to use the amp, I know i would have to buy a seperate wiring kit, but would I use the same remote wire that I use for my mono channel amp and just split it? Im new at this and am still not entirely sure what the remote even does.

Thanks for any help

Here is the situation, I am looking into buying some 100wrms component speakers. I found this amp (Alpine MRH-F255) in my friends trunk and he said I could have it. After searching the internet i found out that it is running 35X4rms along with a subwoofer channel. Does anyone know how I would go about bridging this amp into a 2 channel (if its even possible). This amp is running a wire harness for its speaker outputs and so I have absolutely no idea on how I would bridge it... And if I cant bridge it, would 35 watts sound better than just the head unit to power the speakers (most likely Alpine spr-17s or sps-600c)?

My second question is if i do deside to use the amp, I know i would have to buy a seperate wiring kit, but would I use the same remote wire that I use for my mono channel amp and just split it? Im new at this and am still not entirely sure what the remote even does.

Thanks for any help

The remote is what turns the amp on when the radio is turned on so (its like the on and off switch for the amp so it wont stay on all day). Take it out and notice your amp wont come on period without regardless if the power and ground is hooked up. Yeah you can just run a wire from mono amps remote wire terminal to the other amps remote wire terminal and it will work fine or you can run its own seperate one it doesnt matter (its personal preference but both work either way).

Alright, thanks, that makes sense. do you have any ideas on whether the amp is bridgable or not?

Alright, thanks, that makes sense. do you have any ideas on whether the amp is bridgable or not?

Im pretty sure it is but since I couldnt find any info on the amp, I choose not to comment since I dont know.

Im pretty sure it is but since I couldnt find any info on the amp, I choose not to comment since I dont know.

Yeah, I spent like 20 minutes just to find how many watts it was runnin, let alone what all i could do with it. Alright, i guess ill have to find some money to pick up an amp. I dont think 35wrms will do the speakers justice. Thanks

Well it depends on the speaker but I would just use the amp till you get what you want and sell it when you dont need it anymore. Just my .02

Well it depends on the speaker but I would just use the amp till you get what you want and sell it when you dont need it anymore. Just my .02

Oh yeah, didnt think of that. I guess 35wrms would still be better than whatever the headunit would be running.

Yeah cause the most headunits put out is 22 rms and once you turn the volume up that high to receive all that rms you will be distorting your speakers probably.

Yeah cause the most headunits put out is 22 rms and once you turn the volume up that high to receive all that rms you will be distorting your speakers probably.

Yeah, and i dont even think my deck will run 22rms. Well ill keep scouring the internet to see if that amp is bridgable or not. if i could run it at 70rmsX2 that would be perfect since i dont plan on running any rear speakers.

I would just try it out and see if it can be bridged, it wont hurt anything. If it works then your good to go and if not your still in the same position as you are in now (so to me its a win win situation for you).

I would just try it out and see if it can be bridged, it wont hurt anything. If it works then your good to go and if not your still in the same position as you are in now (so to me its a win win situation for you).

Ok, i thought trying it could maybe damage something if it wasnt suppose to. Ill definately give it a shot then.

The only way you will damage the amp is if you bridge it using 2 ohm speakers, if it doesnt work you wont get no sound period so it wont hurt anything.

Look at the bottom of the amp, sometimes companies will put wiring configurations on a sticker on the bottom of the amp. If all else fails get a hold of Alpine Tech Support or go on there website and see if you can find the owners manual.

Alright, good to know. and the speakers im getting are 4ohm so it'll be fine. alright, this is going to sound stupid but most amps that i have seen are labled channel 1,2,3 and so on, you bridge them from chn1+ to 2- and 3+ to 4- this amp uses only left and right for the front channels and left and right for the rears... so would i bridge the front left + with the front right - and same with the rear or, front left + to rear left - and same with the right side....... or does it even matter :huh:

It does matter. But unfortunately which + and - on which channel you use varies by company. But whenever I've looked at an amp, it has always been the outside terminals of the two channels next to each other. So if the channels are labeled

Ch1 CH2

+ - + -

you'd use Ch1's + and Ch2's -. Vice versa if it's - +, - +.

But don't quote me for sure. Easiest way would be to just email alpine.