Hello SSA!

Does anyone know if 12v 400 amp circuit breakers exist and where to get them? I've got a 300a breaker on the main 2/0 power wire coming from the alternator and front battery then going back to 5 Deka group 31 batts. At about 2/3 power with music, the breaker kicks. And for those who are curious, I'm running 6 BTL 15's on 6 SAZ-3500D's.

DB

Hello SSA!

Does anyone know if 12v 400 amp circuit breakers exist and where to get them? I've got a 300a breaker on the main 2/0 power wire coming from the alternator and front battery then going back to 5 Deka group 31 batts. At about 2/3 power with music, the breaker kicks. And for those who are curious, I'm running 6 BTL 15's on 6 SAZ-3500D's.

DB

Well Damn, I dont have an answer for you on the circuit breaker size that big but curious on system info such as: numbers it is hitting, what vehicle, box specs? Any pictures, should be a good build log.

To be honest, it's clear you need another power wire. If your pulling 300+ amps of current through the wire, you need more wire.

I would not suggest circuit breakers at all. once they are tripped once, they are no longer accurate on how much power to trip again on. it builds a tolerance to the power.

I would suggest ANL fuses. but seeing how we don't know what kind of amps your using or subs or anything. can't really give a suggestion on fuse size and wire

i have never been able to find a CB bigger then 300 amps... and i have looked!

i have ran CB's for years... and while they to catch alot of shit from people they are a great tool!

although i have changed to a ANL between my bank and amp.. i still prefer them every where else.. IE.. in the front before my run to the rear cells... and in the rear before i enter my bank...

dont bo quick to toss them to the side but please understand the pros and cons.

i have ran CB's for years... and while they to catch alot of shit from people they are a great tool!

although i have changed to a ANL between my bank and amp.. i still prefer them every where else.. IE.. in the front before my run to the rear cells... and in the rear before i enter my bank...

Big Jon, what are the pros and cons of circuit breakers?

To be honest, it's clear you need another power wire. If your pulling 300+ amps of current through the wire, you need more wire.

Umm... He has 2/0. 1/0 can take up to 350 amps of current. He is fine unless he is getting voltage drops.

you could get two 200 amp CB and wire them together like you would two fuses.

Big Jon, what are the pros and cons of circuit breakers?

pros.

a 300 amp CB will trip right at 300 amps when working correctly. ( anl type 300 amp fuse will allow you to surge over 300 amps)

they are easy to trip manualy when servicing your system

they can be used over and over as aposed to a ANL type.

cons.

they will trip right at its rating when working properly!!! so somtimes that can be a bad thing lol.

after then trip a few times they will trip lower then its rating....

somtimes heat a vibration will distroy them.. and they are spring loaded... and they can blow apart!

like i said tho i used them ... and i enjoy them for my servise lines... in a daily type install.

you could get two 200 amp CB and wire them together like you would two fuses.

That was my next step but I would rather have a single breaker. If I can't find anything its probably going to get a 400A ANN fuse because I can't find 400A ANL fuses either. I used 2/0 welding cable for the main run to the back because it was rated just under 400 amps, plus the run is only 13 feet or so. It's in a Scion xB, they are pretty small. I'll have pics soon.

Run two 200 amp ANL fuses. Worked for me