SpeakerBoy

Tang Band 5 1/4" and 6 1/2"

The Tang Band website won't load for me, so if someone could throw me a box size, for these two woofers:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-832

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-831

I am thinking about a new speaker-backpack, for the school show. I will build the box for this out of 1/2" mdf, tuned to 32hz, with one aero port.

Also does anyone know of a small (size) 2 or 4 channel amp (4 channel preferred) i need a realtively cheap small footprint amp, to go in a backpack. i am purchasing a 12 volt, or 14 volt battery to power it. Nothing too powerful, i want to keep away from clipping it.

The specs are on PE's website, you don't need Tangs. 32Hz for those wouldn't be a good idea.

The specs are on PE's website, you don't need Tangs. 32Hz for those wouldn't be a good idea.

Why? If those wont work, i have ~$33 for a 5 1/4" Or a 6 1/2" that will work

How do i find out how much polyfill i would need for a box thats between .25 and .3cuft, i bet that a box that size would be too small by itself.

Tip: click inside this box to load the editor

Why? If those wont work, i have ~$33 for a 5 1/4" Or a 6 1/2" that will work

How do i find out how much polyfill i would need for a box thats between .25 and .3cuft, i bet that a box that size would be too small by itself.

A quick 20 sec in modelling software will answer your first question. As for your second, you really have no need for polyfill in a vented enclosure.

Sorry for my last post, my internet was being screwey last night, and i didnt feel like re typing a paragraph on the wii.

I went to home depot, and bought the supplies, and got the panels cut for the box. i will be gluing/screwing/clamping. I also need to find a router, because if i can't i have to use a jigsaw, which doesnt sound too appealing. It is 1/2" mdf. External dimensions of the finished box will be 6"x9.5"x12"

I bought 2 feet of pvc, and a thing to screw down to the box, to attach it (not using all 2ft of it, it was only $2, might as well have some spare).

I bought 16oz of titebond II, two more clamps (my dad had two already) i got 1" coarse thread drywall screws, and for

Sorry for my last post, my internet was being screwey last night, and i didnt feel like re typing a paragraph on the wii.<BR><BR>I went to home depot, and bought the supplies, and got the panels cut for the box. i will be gluing/screwing/clamping. I also need to find a router, because if i can't i have to use a jigsaw, which doesnt sound too appealing. It is 1/2" mdf. External dimensions of the finished box will be 6"x9.5"x12"<BR><BR>I bought 2 feet of 2" pvc, and a thing to screw down to the box, to attach it (not using all 2ft of it, it was only $2, might as well have some spare).<BR><BR>I bought 16oz of titebond II, two more clamps (my dad had two already) i got 1" coarse thread drywall screws, and for power, i picked up a motorcycle battery at walmart. 12v, 160ca, 12ah, and its fairly small, so it fits nicely on the side of the backpack. I am also getting my kenwood 4ch back from a friend. i will run two 8ohm highs on the "a" side (ch1 and ch2 and bridge the sub on the "b" (ch3 and ch4) side. Separate gain knobs ftw. I need to find a crossover, for the sub. I was thinking, maybe i could get one to go inline with the RCA line in, but if not i could probably get away with a passive.

The pvc will be an external port (for tuning purposes) I cant figure out the length i need for a given tuning. gonna download WinISD in studyhall.

Preliminary testing with my premade bose box, with modified port, sounds decent. It's certainly good enough for the kids at school. Port's too small, but i am building mine in a few days.

heres some inspiration, youtube

Can you describe it? I can't go on Youtube til i get home.

My school blocked Photobucket....Ridiculous....

heres some inspiration, youtube

Can you describe it? I can't go on Youtube til i get home.

My school blocked Photobucket....Ridiculous....

Thats it. Pure and simple.

A guy walking through walmart with a 12 volt stereo on his back. Mids and sub playng.

Wow now I dont see what the prank was but that was about one of the dumbest ideas I seen with some creativity behind it. I would of had it turned down some while actually doing some real shopping instead of walking around thinking I was cool.

Wow now I dont see what the prank was but that was about one of the dumbest ideas I seen with some creativity behind it. I would of had it turned down some while actually doing some real shopping instead of walking around thinking I was cool.

That would have been much funnier! Especially going to checkout.

I would be a little more respectful than that... :)

Are there really any small woofers, primarily 6.5" woofers, that are good for a low tuning (Efficiency instead of high excursion+power).

I am still considering the TB 6.5" high Xmax woofer. But if something more efficient is out there, i'd like to compare. I don't really know where to start. I googled it, but got a bunch of garbage (pyramid and pyle pro ads).

No there really arent any 6.5"s that will play that low, you need to up your speaker size to 8" or 10"s and you will be fine.

i've seen dumber.. lol

that family thought it was pretty bad ass. what you cant see is the swarm of employees surrounding them.

Yeah they were excited about it like it was clever. Dont get me wrong it was clever just used for a stupid ass pupose, I would love to have that while walking around or in the mall shopping and wanting to jam.

Yeah I have seen dumber but you know that is still in a class of its own.

Yeah they were excited about it like it was clever. Dont get me wrong it was clever just used for a stupid ass pupose, I would love to have that while walking around or in the mall shopping and wanting to jam.

Yeah I have seen dumber but you know that is still in a class of its own.

i've definitely got some interesting friends. we've done some crazy shit over the years, always looking for some way to out do ourselves. i think the idea came from watching walmart pranks on youtube.

its alittle heeavy for a "daily walker" since its all mdf lol.

sorry for jack OP

Are there really any small woofers, primarily 6.5" woofers, that are good for a low tuning (Efficiency instead of high excursion+power).

I am still considering the TB 6.5" high Xmax woofer. But if something more efficient is out there, i'd like to compare. I don't really know where to start. I googled it, but got a bunch of garbage (pyramid and pyle pro ads).

Search for Hoffman's Iron Law on here and read the sticky. It answers your question very directly.

*if you don't understand how it applies, ask and I'll help but show me you tried in your question

Search for Hoffman's Iron Law on here and read the sticky. It answers your question very directly.

*if you don't understand how it applies, ask and I'll help but show me you tried in your question

Alright let me try to write this out; Because i have a small enclosure+little power, i lose efficiency. If i had a big enclosure, (which wouldnt fit) with same everything, i would have efficiency, but i don't have a box that will fit. :(

The only option i have over this, is one or two small batteries (Are AGM batteries spill proof? If so, I would choose them.) plus a stronger amp. I was thinking a 50.4 or a RF200.2 (I would prefer to try a 50.4, i had a RF200.2, and it was very power-hungry). That would let me have a small box, more power, and in turn, a little more low end.

Or.....

What are a few low to medium power 8" woofers i could run in a super small ported box, or more likely, sealed? Mounting depth would have to be no more than 5"

The amp would either be a 50.4 or maybe a 125.2

My current dimensions are 14"x6"x9.5" external, with .5" mdf

Alright let me try to write this out; Because i have a small enclosure+little power, i lose efficiency. If i had a big enclosure, (which wouldnt fit) with same everything, i would have efficiency, but i don't have a box that will fit. :(

The only option i have over this, is one or two small batteries (Are AGM batteries spill proof? If so, I would choose them.) plus a stronger amp. I was thinking a 50.4 or a RF200.2 (I would prefer to try a 50.4, i had a RF200.2, and it was very power-hungry). That would let me have a small box, more power, and in turn, a little more low end.

Or.....

What are a few low to medium power 8" woofers i could run in a super small ported box, or more likely, sealed? Mounting depth would have to be no more than 5"

The amp would either be a 50.4 or maybe a 125.2

My current dimensions are 14"x6"x9.5" external, with .5" mdf

Try going to partsexpress.com for the subs

An Rli8 with some polyfill could be okay in there but you don't quite have the depth needed for it.

An Rli8 with some polyfill could be okay in there but you don't quite have the depth needed for it.

Hmmm....Let me see if i could cram an 8"x8"x12" box in my bag...Or a slight slant in the baffle... What kind of power would i need? I might have to make a notch in the box for the fitting of the batteries. Amp could go on the bottom or front....Does Knu sell 6ga? That would be good for power/ground (Maybe 4ga). I could back/bottom of the box then mount (2) or (4) bullet tweeters on the corners of the box not covered by the rli (facing up).

This new plan would be purely for fun. Just to see if i can. I figure after a few weeks of bumpin, i'll throw it in my dad's car, as a replacement for the factory 8" in the rear deck (actually a sealed box mounted in the trunk, not IB smile.gif )

How much polyfill would i need? I figure it's relatively cheap, but are there brands that are better than others?

The lower it goes, the better.

Oh, and this plan probably wouldnt happen til mid Feb, or early march (still job searching/saving for car).

Edited by DeepSubBoy

Read up on AGM batteries and tell us if you think they are spill proof, I guarantee within your first few seconds of doing some type of reading up on any company's site that sells them you will have an answer (you just gotta to do a little work on your own, not hard at all). You could even google it and Im sure someone has asked this question before on the internet, search and reading is your friend and not your enemy.