SpeakerBoy

WinISD

I just downloaded WinISD and am trying to figure out what length i need for my port, but my driver is not listed, and i don't know the t/s parameters

Driver is a bose 201 6.5" its fairly old, early or mid 90's. External dimensions are 6"x9.5"x12" using 1/2" mdf. port will be 2" pvc pipe, and the port will be external.

port length and driver are independent

The T/S parameters will affect the box size, not the port

port length and driver are independent

The T/S parameters will affect the box size, not the port

I though t/s affected the overall. What i am specifically looking for is the length of the port i need for a given tuning, i already have the peices cut to make the box, so dimensions are set.

Then choose that box size and port area and you will be fine.

The T/S do have an effect on the overall enclosure, but that is of course because if you change the size of the box everything else changes.

Right. Driver does not affect port dimensions. The only things that affect port length are net box volume, port area, and tuning frequency. Notice here what the inputs are: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=165

Whenever I'm using winISD and just want a port length I just choose the default driver, which I think is A/D/S something or other, for quickness's sake. Doesn't matter what driver you use.

Right. Driver does not affect port dimensions. The only things that affect port length are net box volume, port area, and tuning frequency. Notice here what the inputs are: http://mobile.jlaudi...php?page_id=165

Whenever I'm using winISD and just want a port length I just choose the default driver, which I think is A/D/S something or other, for quickness's sake. Doesn't matter what driver you use.

Well i got most of it sorted out, but my port length is coming out to be really long; i think it was fifty something inches and when i change a few things, it jumps between that, and a few hundred inches. I am using 2"pvc, and i have 2ft of it, but i can use maybe 4" to the elbow and 6" sideways for a total of 10". i might be able to pull off a little more with another elbow.

Why doesnt Polyfill work in a vented box? I've seen it done, but never questioned it.

Edited by DeepSubBoy

Welcome to the world of small boxes, they always equal long ports. :P

As for the Polyfill in a vented box, it isn't that it doesn't work it just adds more variables that aren't helpful. A better question is why do you want to add it?

*note I am not referring to lining the walls of the enclosure, but stuffing

Welcome to the world of small boxes, they always equal long ports. tongue.gif

As for the Polyfill in a vented box, it isn't that it doesn't work it just adds more variables that aren't helpful. A better question is why do you want to add it?

*note I am not referring to lining the walls of the enclosure, but stuffing

I am just trying to get the best lowend i can out of a 6.5". No world records, but something that is decent. I was noobish when i built the first two, and destroyed them by clipping and beating on them. I want a clean sound, down to at least 35hz. I have 12v/160ca/12ah of power to work with and i might even double that. I need to take my battery to autozone, for them to put the acid in it (i have never done it before). I am going to pick up a jigsaw blade soon, to cut the baffle, and port hole. Then i can screw, clamp and glue. if i have ~.35cuft with 12 inches of 2" port what should that come out to?

If i lined the box with polyfill, as opposed to stuffing, would it benefit me to do so?

Basically what he is saying that there will be no 6.5" speaker that should be in a box tuned that low. Either rethink drivers or rethink your goals.

.35cuft and ported is going to be a RIDICULOUSLY long port, even for 40Hz. Nothing you can do will get tons of output down that low out of such small surface area. And no I wouldn't worry about lining as you aren't going to meet your goals anyways.

Pretty sure you aren't realistic on what 35hz actually is...