lilkman2202

How to Figure out Car tuning

I already have one box thats tuned down to 30hz but i am looking to build a second for competetions. I know higher hz are much easier to get loud on TL. I want to figure out the best hz to tune my box to so it will be as loud as possible. Is there a way to figure out what my cabins best tuned too.

I already have one box thats tuned down to 30hz but i am looking to build a second for competetions. I know higher hz are much easier to get loud on TL. I want to figure out the best hz to tune my box to so it will be as loud as possible. Is there a way to figure out what my cabins best tuned too.

I hear a sealed box, a microphone, and a bit of testing does the trick

where r u located?

U will also need to install all sound deadening to be used prior to testing. If it's a wall or any other type of design which will section off part of the car for the box, you will need to test AFTER the box is built AND have an adjustable port so u can build it to the right length.

where r u located?

U will also need to install all sound deadening to be used prior to testing. If it's a wall or any other type of design which will section off part of the car for the box, you will need to test AFTER the box is built AND have an adjustable port so u can build it to the right length.

What if you want to listen to it both daily and competitions? Is it good to make a removable port for a wall?

Sorry for threadjack.

That would be smart so you can have a daily box and comp box all in one instead of one over the other; thats what alot of people are doing nowadays.

i use an interchangeable ports for competition burps, competition driveby and daily music

i use an interchangeable ports for competition burps, competition driveby and daily music

Im going to seal of the trunk with the sub facing the cabin and want to make interchangable ports so i can wang daily at like 28-30hz and then sstill be able to compete at like 40s

First things first, buy a termlab.

All the advice and tips/tricks in the world are for nothing if you don't have a meter to consistently test on.

As for figuring out your vehicles "tuning", also known as it's resonant frequency, you will need to do a couple things.

1) Build small sealed enclosure

2) Test the enclosure in an open environment, play 20 hz to 80 hz, one frequency at a time, and record the scores.

3) Place the sealed enclosure in your car, and do the same test, 20 hz -80 hz

4) Subtract the vehicle score from the open air score for each frequency. The biggest difference in scores is your resonant frequency (i.e. the frequency at which your cars cabin will produce the highest increase in score)

Edited by tommyk90

TL isn't necessary, just a repeatable mic of some sort and a way of analyzing it

TL isn't necessary, just a repeatable mic of some sort and a way of analyzing it

If he's serious about competing and getting better numbers, a termlab is a necessity.

Not only that, but it's essentially the cheapest to own, and the most consistent. An audiocontrol will run you into the thousands.

Not too many other choices out there besides that splmeter.com one, but I'm not even sure if those are still around or made.

If he's serious about competing and getting better numbers, a termlab is a necessity.

Not only that, but it's essentially the cheapest to own, and the most consistent. An audiocontrol will run you into the thousands.

Not too many other choices out there besides that splmeter.com one, but I'm not even sure if those are still around or made.

Not at all necessary to figure out the acoustic resonance of his car which is what the thread is titled.

Not at all necessary to figure out the acoustic resonance of his car which is what the thread is titled.

Very true. If he is avid in competition though, it might prove to be a useful purchase.

Enlighten me as to how the OP can figure out his cabin resonance without a GOOD spl meter?

i can sum it up-

It doesn't require any particular meter in terms of accuracy.

As long as the meter is rated to accurately measure pressure at the pressure level he creates when finding his car's peak will suffice.

Why? Because the meter is the constant in the equation and the frequencies are changing so when the meter peaks, that should most definitely be the car's peak.

Now, i also agree about using a TL as well.

Just like what was said before, if serious about competing, get a TL.

Most sanctions use these so why not use the meter that u will be metering on in practice?

Most sanctions use these so why not use the meter that u will be metering on in practice?

That way you wont have to worry about inconsistencies from the two different meters.

i can sum it up-

It doesn't require any particular meter in terms of accuracy.

As long as the meter is rated to accurately measure pressure at the pressure level he creates when finding his car's peak will suffice.

Why? Because the meter is the constant in the equation and the frequencies are changing so when the meter peaks, that should most definitely be the car's peak.

Oh, I agree with you that as long as the meter is consistent then you are golden.

But therein lies the problem. How many meters are out there period? From that, how many are considered "consistent"? How many are affordable for the average joe?

After those questions are answered, I can only think of two: the termlab and the splmeter.com one, if it's still even made.

Audiocontrols are ludicrously expensive, as is the B&K. There's a couple older ones out there that wouldn't be bad, say the linear x for example, but for the cost of one of those you may as well get a meter thats still used today by pretty much everyone.