bigrank916

bigrank916 geo big 3 upgrade

More like big two cause I didnt ground the alt to the chassis. There wasnt any dedicated ground post on the stock alt so I thought I would put it in later. Thought the other two were the most important anyway. Maybe when I get a new alt for her, I'll do the third. That will be expensive though!

Should have done this a long time ago but I was off work due to the weather today. What better time to do it then now? Had to get some new battery post terminals as they wouldnt work with my 1/0 terminals. Put the black loom on there to make it look nice too. It was lying around so why not?

Right off the batt I could tell the difference. The lights dont dim anymore and it even seems a little louder. The volume goes up a little more than it did before, without distorting at a comfortable listening level. I cant wait to put a bigger amp in here now. Maybe throw in some tweets that are lying around with the 50.4 now. Its alllll goooooooood!!!! :ban2::dancing:

I should add this went A LOT EASIER than last time.

big two in geo metro

well done!

Good job man on the Big 2, about time someone joined my club of only have the Big 2 done so far.

Good job man on the Big 2, about time someone joined my club of only have the Big 2 done so far.

I thought it was better to get those done if anything. They seem like the most important ones to me.

Thank you J. If only people knew how valuable these upgrades are to a system! I see a ton of posts where people would rather not do it, if they can get away with it. I think it really important especially if your stockers are pathetic like my geo is.

See the problem with my grounds is that Saturn decided they didnt want to scratch any paint off before they made grounds, so I had engine noise from start no matter what radio I used. But once I redid my grounds it helped out a whole lot, when my car starts now when it's cold it starts at 5.4volts on a cold morning and 15volts on a warm morning so Im pleased. Glad everything is up and up on the Metro, now the build log can proceed :santa:

See the problem with my grounds is that Saturn decided they didnt want to scratch any paint off before they made grounds, so I had engine noise from start no matter what radio I used. But once I redid my grounds it helped out a whole lot, when my car starts now when it's cold it starts at 5.4volts on a cold morning and 15volts on a warm morning so Im pleased. Glad everything is up and up on the Metro, now the build log can proceed :santa:

Nice factory grounds. Thats bull. Ya, I want to start deadening the geo soon. Gotta get some more damplifier light!

I thought it was alt to batt +, batt - to chasis, and chasis to engine block?

watch out solder (lead) isn't at conductive as a crimped terminal

It is.

It is.

I think I got the idea from my truck when I ran a dedicated ground from my ho alt to the chassis. I must have carried the thinking over to the geo. Whoops...No problems with the system though.

Looks like I have a small side project to do. Thank you.trink40.gif

Curious as to where you got that information?

Ive always heard its far better to solder your terminals. shrug.gif

It's better to do both actually, crimp then solder. Solder by itself is not a great conductor.

It's better to do both actually, crimp then solder. Solder by itself is not a great conductor.

True. Crimp then solder. Thats usually what I do but these terminals needed mega channel locks to bend em! Super hard to crimp. It was a batch from the local shop. Thats why these only got solder.

Didnt know it wasnt a great conductor. That sucks.

True. Crimp then solder. Thats usually what I do but these terminals needed mega channel locks to bend em! Super hard to crimp. It was a batch from the local shop. Thats why these only got solder.

Didnt know it wasnt a great conductor. That sucks.

You'll be fine, I found out the hard way as well and my wire is just fine ;)

My dad who is an electrical engineer who told me not to solder.

i just use my vice i got at home depot for about ~25 bucks then if it wasnt quite crimped well enough i hammer it down. then i used heavy duty electrical tape.

My dad who is an electrical engineer who told me not to solder.

i just use my vice i got at home depot for about ~25 bucks then if it wasnt quite crimped well enough i hammer it down. then i used heavy duty electrical tape.

I needed a bench vice anyhow but this gives me yet another use to justify the purchase. Thanks for the tip.trink40.gif

Ive never thought about hammering them good idea.

Ive never thought about hammering them good idea.

Yeah I hammer mine but bigrank you gave me an idea on how old them in place or keep the wire still while crimping, just clamp it to something FTW!