1hotc6

Ported vs. Sealed?

I Have looked on the Fi site and will be using 2 12" BL in a corvette run by a kicker zx2500.1. I was wondering if anyone has put them in a sealed box. I know there are no specs because it is not reccommended, but would it hurt the sub to be in a fiberglass enclosure with the correct airspace?

It wont hurt them in a good sealed box, but to get the most out of the BL's I would suggest to go with a ported box made out of wood.

what would be a good size for the box? the design I am using would make it hard to port the box, so if it wont hurt the sub, I will seal the box.

Well you can ask FI directly. Email Nick or someone else.

Or look for other people using the BL's in closed box and see what kind of box they use. You can ask them how they like it, any recommendations from experience with the BL's.

Edited by The enD

It wont hurt them in a good sealed box, but to get the most out of the BL's I would suggest to go with a ported box made out of wood.

Wood has nothing to do with it.

Well you can ask FI directly. Email Nick or someone else.

Or look for other people using the BL's in closed box and see what kind of box they use. You can ask them how they like it, any recommendations from experience with the BL's.

Or you could realize that the BL is NOT designed to work well in a sealed box. Port it or run another driver.

OP, are you looking at sealed because you don't have space? If so, 1 BL ported will definitely give you more of what you want than 2 sealed. If you have to run sealed I'd use a different driver.

what are the Q subs like? can they handle over 1000W with the BP power setting? I will be running them in a 2007 corvette in a fiberglass enclosure. I want a sub that wont distort at loud volume as well. I want the sub to be super clear. What should I go with in that case? again i will have them run by a kicker zx2500.1

What is the most airspace you can get?

*you need airspace before shopping for subs

where do you live ?

you might be able to get a demo from a local fi q user.

i live in ct. if your near by i'll give ya a demo.

i think the fi q might supprise you at how loud and clean it can play .

I am considering the sealed because of the design that I thought of that would make porting the box very difficult. I could use more of a generic "box" design and port it, but it would not be as visually pleasing. My thing is, if it's in a corvette will the Q series sound loud enough for my pleasure since the cabin is soo small?

What is the most airspace you can get?

*you need airspace before shopping for subs

Please answer the question, without an answer NO ONE can answer your question.

In that space 2 BL's ported will be WAY louder than 2 Q's sealed.

Ports don't have to be straight.

will the BLs still be clear though?

What do you mean by clear, makes no sense? Almost any sub installed right and in the right built enclosure will have good output and sound quality.

I want a sub thast will get really loud and wont distort notes at a loud setting. I dont want bass that "crackles"

I want a sub thast will get really loud and wont distort notes at a loud setting. I dont want bass that "crackles"

If in the right enclosure and installed right with the right amp settings you wont have that problem, Ive never heard of bass crackling.

If I put the Q series in the proper sealed enclosure with the BP power setting (that Fi says will increase power by 200-500w), would that be of better sound quality than that of the BL series?