smullen

12 ga Speaker wire enough for Mid/Tweets?

To run from my alt to my Sub amps, the guy said I could get away with it, if I put in a special fuse....

I am So just kidding, don't shoot.... Not even ure how I came up with that as I was typing... :) lol...

But, Seriously on the speaker wire, think 12 ga would be decent enough to run from the amp (100.4) to the cross overs to the mid/tweet sets(Polk MM6501s)???

I was getting ready to oder some power wire and I was like, Ohhh, I need some speaker wire too....

Thinking about just buying a spool of 12 ga Stinger from Darvex... I would like to oder it all from one place if I can...

If I have any left over, which I'm sure I would, I'll just keep it around for a future install or something... I'd rather have 10+ feet too much than 2 feet to little and I'd rather have home runs, with no splices...

Edited by smullen

I didnt even use 12 gauge on my subwoofer but it will work fine if that is what you want to use.

I didnt even use 12 gauge on my subwoofer but it will work fine if that is what you want to use.

I didn't know 16 was the regular speaker wire gauge, I thought it was 12 so thats what i ordered

What'd you use???

What'd you use???

For my subwoofer I ended up using some Rockford Fosgate 13AWG twisted wire that I had laying around. I will be buying some nice 16 guage wire from Fry's within a couple of days since they have spools of 100 ft for $20-30 depending on the quality.

What'd you use???

For my subwoofer I ended up using some Rockford Fosgate 13AWG twisted wire that I had laying around. I will be buying some nice 16 guage wire from Fry's within a couple of days since they have spools of 100 ft for $20-30 depending on the quality.

Nice to know, I usually just buy the Scoshe 14 gauge from Walmart, iirc it's like $15 for 25ft or so. Will def look into this. Thanks.

I use the scoshe 14awg for all my mids/highs in the truck. Works great, have had no issues.

And I use Stinger 8awg for subs :)

12 gauge is overkill. I ran 14 gauge on my 100.4 that now belongs to Mac and Cheese and that is way more than enough. I would say 14-16 gauge is plenty unless you have 12 lying around it isnt needed.

12 gauge is overkill. I ran 14 gauge on my 100.4 that now belongs to Mac and Cheese and that is way more than enough. I would say 14-16 gauge is plenty unless you have 12 lying around it isnt needed.

yep thats why i am using 12ga because i have some sitting in my room