knogoodidleft

System won't work.

pretty much my truck is telling me no to this system.

I installed my box, wired my subs, wired the amp, fired it up... nothing

amp comes on, zero output to subs. I do hear a whine through the door speakers if I rev the engine.

-installed new RCA's

-I have a 1/0 copper wire running to the frame as my ground. and after no sound I grinded the frame down to bare shiny metal.

-checked all the fuses.

-checked all the wires.

-Rechecked all fuses and wires.

-moved and jiggled the whole length of RCA

-took the remote wire out and jumped a wire from the power to the rem

When I turn the volume up on the HU as soon as a hard not comes through, the amp hits the subs once then goes into protection mode until turned off.

About 6 weeks ago the amp and subs were running fine, i fired them up free air.

But for whatever reason I figured the amp has cease to live. Bought a $320 bandaid (power acoustik 5500) and wired it up in the parking lot with giddy, fired it up...nothing

So I took it around to the shop and asked them, wtf is wrong. since today is sunday they only had 1 guy working on cars so i had a long line, never got to see him.

but the guy let me bring a little 6x9 out to make sure it wasnt my subs. hooked up the speaker and nothing.

So I went home and did some research and found it might be my headunit, so i just went out and got a LOC, wired it up, turned it on...NOTHING

troubleshooted the LOC, still nada.

i have a alpine ida-x100, 6 weeks ago everything was working fine, today - nothing.

there is no Sub setting on this headunit so everything should be fine.

tomorrow morning i'm going to the shop to let them run a rca from a other headunit to my amp, then see whats up.

the amp does get warm to the touch after a min or so.

anybody know what else I can do? I want to lean towards head unit issues.

Do you have a DMM? Have you tested the RCA's?

what kinda deck r u running? and what kinda sub?

He already checked his amp with another speaker so the sub has nothing to do with it. Sounds like an rca issue or grounding issue since you say it gets warm fairly quick, right?

He already checked his amp with another speaker so the sub has nothing to do with it. Sounds like an rca issue or grounding issue since you say it gets warm fairly quick, right?

Right on Jay. Although he did say his ground is in 1/0 aught on the frame. Have you upgraded your battery ground though?

yea but if the amp is 2 ohm stable or even 1 ohm stable he could have had the sub wired up to too low of an impedance and burned the amp up.

yea but if the amp is 2 ohm stable or even 1 ohm stable he could have had the sub wired up to too low of an impedance and burned the amp up.

The BAMF5500 has protection circuits, at worst it would go into protection when powered on, and return to normal when the 4 ohm 6x9 was hooked up. It is possible that it fried the amp...highly unlikely though.

o. didnt know about the protection circuits.

I have the alpine-x100 deck, I do have a meter, just haven't ran it on the RCA's, I will tomorrow.

I do have the big 3 under the hood, in 1/0.

it does get pretty warm pretty quick, not over heating, but getting a lot hotter a lot quicker than it should.

I'm pretty sure its not the amp itself, and now I'm pretty sure the saz3000d isnt broken. same symptom on both amps.

I'm running 2 18'' full loaded BLs 1ohm dvc

alright, the guy at the shop said i had the headunit wired wrong. he put my rcas in the lower slots, then switched the amp to slave mode and plugged the rcas on that side.

everything was fine, got home, unhooked the amp, mounted the saz to the box, wired it, nothing.... so i wired back up the acoustik, the subs get a little volume, but not like earlier.

i dunno.

Where did he plug the RCA's into?

there is 3 pairs of RCA outputs in the back, I have always used the top, worked on the past 2 systems in the truck, and worked fine with the free air on the saz3000d.

he put them to the bottom. and I guess i flicked the master/slave switch, so he had it on master. and he ran the RCAs to the lowest pair of outputs.

I rewired up the acoustik and it was moving the subs a little, then I remembered when I got home I noticed the bass boost was cranked really high, and that I put it back to 0.

So I started turning up the bass boost, and volia - it works. bass boost is damn near 100% up, but it works. Never used the bass boost on any previous amps...

so I was out about testing songs and what not, after about an hour it just stopped. now the protection light is on and nothing I do seems to remove it from protection mode.

amp and subs never got warm.

Edited by knogoodidleft

there is 3 pairs of RCA outputs in the back, I have always used the top, worked on the past 2 systems in the truck, and worked fine with the free air on the saz3000d.

he put them to the bottom. and I guess i flicked the master/slave switch, so he had it on master. and he ran the RCAs to the lowest pair of outputs.

I rewired up the acoustik and it was moving the subs a little, then I remembered when I got home I noticed the bass boost was cranked really high, and that I put it back to 0.

So I started turning up the bass boost, and volia - it works. bass boost is damn near 100% up, but it works. Never used the bass boost on any previous amps...

so I was out about testing songs and what not, after about an hour it just stopped. now the protection light is on and nothing I do seems to remove it from protection mode.

To me the amp sounds bad if you had to turn the bass boost up to 100% or you have some jacked up settings on amp and/or headunit. Do you have any extra rcas to test out besides the ones you are using.

I would double check the deck and make sure your RCA's are hooked up correctly. Make sure they are hooked up to the "Sub Out" or at least to the front or rear outputs.

Double check your power and remote voltage when the head unit is on and when you turn up the volume, to make sure you don't have a voltage drop issue.

Make sure your RCA's are not pinched somewhere.

Before you do anything go toe Lowes/ Home Depot, spend 20 bucks to get a DMM (digital Mulit Meter) Check your voltage all positive points. Also check your ground. It may get enough juice to turn on but not enough to run the subs. I always say if your gonna do self installs, buy a DMM, Zip tips, wire cutter, wireless drill and drill bits. Makes installing and troubeshooting alot easier...I bet you its something simple

Sounds like a Power Acoustik amp to me :(

I just cant understand why the amp only moves the subs with the bass boost all the way up.

tomorrow i will hook up the saz3000d and crank that boost, and cross my fingers for the health of my bls. :Doh:

I just cant understand why the amp only moves the subs with the bass boost all the way up.

tomorrow i will hook up the saz3000d and crank that boost, and cross my fingers for the health of my bls. :Doh:

Don't do that with a 3000D.

Don't do that with a 3000D.

You will be looking for new subwoofers soon doing that :ehh:

ill just do it for a second...or two

just to see if it works.

If it does im going scratch a bald spot in my head from confusion.

Ill run the meter over the truck tomorrow.

I have a 1/0 copper wire running to the frame as my ground. and after no sound I grinded the frame down to bare shiny metal.

is this to say that the ground was not properly done beforehand?

is this to say that the ground was not properly done beforehand?

Well i took out my handy pocket knife and scraped the grudge off of it, the ground was plenty fine beforehand. But after the first time the amp turned on but produced no sound, I figured that just scraping it clean wasn't good enough.

slept in this morning and had to do some errands before work so didnt get around to it today, but i'm going to meter all the wires tomorrow after i try the bass boost saz.