Tarpon87

Need help finding some 10s

As the title says, im looking to replace my 2 10s and Im having trouble finding some that work well in my enclosure. Its a sealed dual 10 enclosure with 1.1 cu ft for each sub. Everything I have looked at has an optimum sealed enclosure of .5-.8. Anyone have some suggestions for me, price range would be around 500 for the pair. Thanks

As the title says, im looking to replace my 2 10s and Im having trouble finding some that work well in my enclosure. Its a sealed dual 10 enclosure with 1.1 cu ft for each sub. Everything I have looked at has an optimum sealed enclosure of .5-.8. Anyone have some suggestions for me, price range would be around 500 for the pair. Thanks

What subs do you have, whats wrong with your current setup? Check out the SSA Icons, Dcons or Xcons. What amp will you be using for these subs?

What subs do you have, whats wrong with your current setup? Check out the SSA Icons, Dcons or Xcons. What amp will you be using for these subs?

right now I have Alpine type r 10s and 2 PDX 600.1 Its just not loud enough and doesnt hit low enough. Im not sure on what amp, Ive been looking at the Sundown amps recently.

Have you thought about making a ported enclosure

Edited by Mac N Cheese

Have you thought about making a ported enclosure

I have, Id like to keep the box I have now if I can find something that will work well in it. If not then I may just redo everything.

I just looked at the Icon 10, looks pretty nice and the optimum enclosure volume is .9cu ft, not sure how much the extra .2 cu ft would effect the sound, but .9 is getting closer. And they are in my price range

Have you thought about putting blocks of wood in the box to take up the space. :ehh::drink40:

If your setup is not loud enough already, I'm not sure new subs will entirely fix that problem. Sure, more sensitive subs with more power going to them will be louder, but a ported enclosure is much more economical.

If your setup is not loud enough already, I'm not sure new subs will entirely fix that problem. Sure, more sensitive subs with more power going to them will be louder, but a ported enclosure is much more economical.

True enough, Im not too knowledgable about this. Can an existing sealed enclosure just be modified to a ported enclosure? Heres basically what it looks like now, this is from my old Camaro, the new box is in a Firebird but its the exact same hatch area. Just the box is cut for round subs obviously instead of the Kickers.

Picture001.jpg

Im guessing someone who knows what they are doing (not me) could put a port in tuned to the right freq. and then just recover the box with vinyl?

Potentially, most likely it will require an external port though as ported enclosures are usually larger than sealed.

I would agree with everyone here that ported would be best, but if your set on your enclosure, the FI SSD 10's call for .6-1cuft and after the subs dispacement it sould leave you at .98cuft or something like that. Those subs should give you good volume if you amp them right. just an idea.

I would agree with everyone here that ported would be best, but if your set on your enclosure, the FI SSD 10's call for .6-1cuft and after the subs dispacement it sould leave you at .98cuft or something like that. Those subs should give you good volume if you amp them right. just an idea.

Good idea, look at either the FI SSD 10''s or SSA Icon 10"s. When I looked on there website for the SSD it said it needs an enclosure smaller than what he had then read the technical page and see they had different numbers up there, otherwise I would of mentioned it earlier when I posted after doing my research.

Potentially, most likely it will require an external port though as ported enclosures are usually larger than sealed.

x2 You could build a new enclosure, but if you are really dead set against it you can

a.) drop the money for the SSDs or Icons

b.) talk to one of the custom fabricators on the forum to have them build a box for you

Im not 100% dead set on the enclosure, only reason i want to keep it is the clean look of it sitting in the well area and it has the slot on the bottom front that allows me to use the t-top storage instead of having to lay them in the back seats. But if im gonna go so far as having a new ported enclosure built, I'd probably just go back up to a pair of 12's. I was really happy with the way that kicker setup sounded.

Question about the external port. Im guessing instead of having the port inside the box and just seeing the opening, you would be able to see the port (tube or whatever) sticking out from the box somewhere? Am i correct? And since the box is divided internally, I would really need a port on each side?

Im not 100% dead set on the enclosure, only reason i want to keep it is the clean look of it sitting in the well area and it has the slot on the bottom front that allows me to use the t-top storage instead of having to lay them in the back seats. But if im gonna go so far as having a new ported enclosure built, I'd probably just go back up to a pair of 12's. I was really happy with the way that kicker setup sounded.

Question about the external port. Im guessing instead of having the port inside the box and just seeing the opening, you would be able to see the port (tube or whatever) sticking out from the box somewhere? Am i correct? And since the box is divided internally, I would really need a port on each side?

Yes an exterior port is sticking out of the box but can be hidden if clever, yes you will need two ports since your chambers are divided.