Sign in to follow this  
The enD

Subwoofer choice?

Hi from Bulgaria, everyone.

At first I was going to buy one of the new Nightshades, but realized there will be some months till I get the money and I won't have any other sub to bang in my trunk.

So I am looking for something cheap till I get the money for the NSv2. I am very tempted at the ongoing pre-order of Sundown Audio SA-8. I can get it here to BG for around the same price as Alpine Type-R for instance.

My goal is a cheap sub that will bang loud and good for it's money. Sound Pressure ... around 35 Hz.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by The enD

What music do you listen to? what are your limits for money? What kind of electrical upgrades have you done.

What music do you listen to? what are your limits for money? What kind of electrical upgrades have you done.

Rap, lots of lows, bass tests(bass mekanik, DJ Billy E). Box will be tuned at 35 hz

Money? As cheap as possible. 110$ for SA-8 is a good example.

I think big 3 will be good for starters and 400-500W sub. And some thick runs of wire.

whats it going into? i think atleast 2 sealed 8's would sound pretty decent. seeing your interests are SPL then i would suggest just listen to stock till you get the money for the nightshade. no sense in spending on upgrades if upgrading is in your near future.

whats it going into? i think atleast 2 sealed 8's would sound pretty decent. seeing your interests are SPL then i would suggest just listen to stock till you get the money for the nightshade. no sense in spending on upgrades if upgrading is in your near future.

Car- Toyota Celica.

I don't like sealed. And two 8's is too much money wise. Plus, SA-8 is not recommended sealed.

The thing is it's not the near future. :)

If you're into SPL, you should look for a bigger sub : 8" seems small tome.

You can find a cheap 12" or even 15", it would be better.

Just my 02 cts.

If you listen to a lot of bass tests you NEED a 24 db/octave subsonic filter for your subs since you're tuning somewhat high. Otherwise your subs will be torn up in no time.

If you listen to a lot of bass tests you NEED a 24 db/octave subsonic filter for your subs since you're tuning somewhat high. Otherwise your subs will be torn up in no time.

Well I will be buying SAZ1500 or SAZ2000D and think they have 24 db/octave subsonic filter. :) How am I tuning high? Is 35hz high lol.

I have one 12 around 200W that may work till I get the NS. I don't know.

Well it is to me. My box is tuned to 30 hz. Bass mekanik has some stuff that dips into the 20s (or lower) so I'd want to protect the sub as much as possible.

Well it is to me. My box is tuned to 30 hz. Bass mekanik has some stuff that dips into the 20s (or lower) so I'd want to protect the sub as much as possible.

If you're playing bass tests, you're not going to want to tune high. Most rap music you listen to is in the 40-50Hz range, bass testers will go muuuuch lower than that.

You can 'safely' play 1 octave below you're tuning frequency. In you're case, in theory, you can play to 17.5Hz with you're woofer being safe.

LPF has nothing to do with it. But my point is that if you have to turn your subsonic up to 32 hz to protect your sub, you're going to miss out on a lot of the bass track tones below that.

LPF has nothing to do with it. But my point is that if you have to turn your subsonic up to 32 hz to protect your sub, you're going to miss out on a lot of the bass track tones below that.

Mainly I listen to Rap. But love to listen to some Bass Mekanik which has a lot of different bass notes.

What should I do not to miss out the tones you are talking about , with the box tuned 35 hz?

You can't do anything. You have to have the subsonic just below the tuning frequency. But I guess you could like it, I don't know. Only one way to find out.

So I will just tune for my rap shit but maybe a lil lower ... :)

For the moment I am looking for a saz1500D and next maybe NS for the wall. (dreaming)