Sign in to follow this  
mikecdm

My Q is dead

Well just in the past few days I have noticed that my sub was not working. Me being the lazy person that I am put it off for a while assuming that just a connection was loose. Yesterday I finally got around to taking a look and all the connections outside of the box looked fine. The amp (sae-1000D) looked to be working fine, but no movement or sound from the sub. With the music playing I pushed the cone a little and then it made a little effort but once I moved my hand away it did nothing. This was initially, but today the sub does nothing at all, even when I push on it.

Still not sure if the amp could be damaged, I connected another sub that I had laying around and that one works. This leads me to the conclusion that my Q is damaged. I really don't know how it could have been damaged since I rarely listen at high volumes and seldom do I listen to any bass heavy music. I pretty much drive to work and back and that's only a 10 minute drive.

I'm not sure what would be the best course of action.

Well just in the past few days I have noticed that my sub was not working. Me being the lazy person that I am put it off for a while assuming that just a connection was loose. Yesterday I finally got around to taking a look and all the connections outside of the box looked fine. The amp (sae-1000D) looked to be working fine, but no movement or sound from the sub. With the music playing I pushed the cone a little and then it made a little effort but once I moved my hand away it did nothing. This was initially, but today the sub does nothing at all, even when I push on it.

Still not sure if the amp could be damaged, I connected another sub that I had laying around and that one works. This leads me to the conclusion that my Q is damaged. I really don't know how it could have been damaged since I rarely listen at high volumes and seldom do I listen to any bass heavy music. I pretty much drive to work and back and that's only a 10 minute drive.

I'm not sure what would be the best course of action.

First off if u can get ahold of a Digital multi meter then check the coils to see if you get the same reading on either side. How long have u had the sub? It may still be under warranty. contact nick from Fi and i am sure they will be able to help you out. they have gret customer service. just my .02

After checking the coils it would be good to get to the root of the problem. What size and tuning was the enclosure in which it was installed? Were you using any bass boost? What were the levels set to on your HU?

It's important to figure out what happened to it so it won't happen again to the repaired/new one.

Yep, if you are correct when you say you never have it up at high volumes... then logically, the other possibility is mechanical failure.

This is typically caused by setting subsonic filter extremely too low, box too large and sometimes tuned too low.

First off if u can get ahold of a Digital multi meter then check the coils to see if you get the same reading on either side. How long have u had the sub? It may still be under warranty. contact nick from Fi and i am sure they will be able to help you out. they have gret customer service. just my .02

After checking the coils they both read the same. Unfortunately, neither of them does anything or give me any sort of reading. When doing the same to the other sub, the coils read around 3.5ohms. I"m not sure how long the warranty is, but I think that I've had the sub over a year.

After checking the coils it would be good to get to the root of the problem. What size and tuning was the enclosure in which it was installed? Were you using any bass boost? What were the levels set to on your HU?

It's important to figure out what happened to it so it won't happen again to the repaired/new one.

The enclusre is smaller than I'd like but still within the recommendations. It's a little over 0.9 cubic feet after displacement. As for the settings, I'm using the factory headunit, so that kind of limits what I can do. The amp has the bass boost pretty low, almost completely off.

Yep, if you are correct when you say you never have it up at high volumes... then logically, the other possibility is mechanical failure.

This is typically caused by setting subsonic filter extremely too low, box too large and sometimes tuned too low.

I'm not saying that I've never had it at high volumes, just recently I haven't. It's probably been several months since I listen to it at high volumes. It'd be hard to convince anyone that I've never pushed the sub.

Take the sub out and check for problems, especially loose connections around the terminals or broken tinsels. And put a DMM to the coils as well to check resistance.

Sign in to follow this