JoshM20

12's or 10's

Hey Everyone,

I am switching from my 15 BL to either 12's or 10's. I love the 15's but I sold one to a friend and am trying to sell another one that I never even used NIB. Anyway, I was thinking of doing 2 or 3 12's or maybe even 4 10's. I just have not really made up my mind yet. I have not had either and I was wondering which you guys prefer.

If you were going to make a system and had either choice what would you choose and why. Also what brand would you go with, I'm looking for good loud subs that stay tight and keep there quality.

For now they will be on a SAE-1200 but I plan on moving to a 2000 in the future when I upgrade my electrical further.

Basically just looking to discuss on this and look for some ideas.

Thanks,

Josh

Edited by JoshM20

I would personally stick with one 15" or 2-12"s. What car is this going in and the max dimensions you have available, that will tell you what we can and cant do. Why do you want to change your system?

I would personally stick with one 15" or 2-12"s. What car is this going in and the max dimensions you have available, that will tell you what we can and cant do. Why do you want to change your system?

I think I am going to hold on to the 15 and put it into my explorer. I was thinking 2 12's myself originally, I always just get carried away though. This will be put in my Mazda 6, the largest box I can get to fit is 6 cubes. So I should have plenty of room for 2 12's. Which ones would you suggest. I have really switched over to listening to more Rock than rap now but I still like to throw on some rap and bam it.

I think I am going to hold on to the 15 and put it into my explorer. I was thinking 2 12's myself originally, I always just get carried away though. This will be put in my Mazda 6, the largest box I can get to fit is 6 cubes. So I should have plenty of room for 2 12's. Which ones would you suggest. I have really switched over to listening to more Rock than rap now but I still like to throw on some rap and bam it.

Is that 6 cubes beforer displacement? Did you calculate room for your amps, battery and air flow around the box? Any 12's that are sold on this site or FI Car Audio.

The more subs you have, the more power you will have to feed them. So this means you will have to put some money behind some nice amp(s). With all the amp(s) then you're most likely looking at electrical upgrades as well(that is if you haven't already got to that yet). With all that being said... your looking at a good bit of money being spent, so knowing the budget you're on will be helpful. Like the one guy said, go with a single 15", I prefer to just have the biggest sub I can fit comfy in my vehicle(pushing it with just one amp).

Edited by keetykush

I have decided to nix the 10's and either go with 2 12's or a 15. I sold the other 15 to my friend, he wanted to match them after he got the first one.

My question now would be which should theoretically sound louder. I would think the 2 12's since you have more surface area but the power will be split so they will only be getting around 600 rms each.

Or a single 15 with the 1000rms.

My budget right now is around 800.

I have an sae-1200 for an amp at this time.

And the largest ported box I get in the trunk due to the trunk opening was 5 cubes after displacement.

Thanks Josh

I have decided to nix the 10's and either go with 2 12's or a 15. I sold the other 15 to my friend, he wanted to match them after he got the first one.

My question now would be which should theoretically sound louder. I would think the 2 12's since you have more surface area but the power will be split so they will only be getting around 600 rms each.

And the largest ported box I get in the trunk due to the trunk opening was 5 cubes after displacement.

Thanks Josh

While this is true about more cone area it doesnt always mean 2-12"s will be louder than 1-15", it really depends on a lot of factors.

Thanks Josh

Really, really easy question to answer. The setup that is in the most optimized enclosure for your vehicle.

for ~$550, you can get two IconD1's run them on the SAE, and upgrade to the SAZ-2000D later.

The more subs you have, the more power you will have to feed them.

This is untrue. In fact, the more subs you have, the less power you have to feed them to keep the same output. One 15" on 1000 watts is theoretically the same as two 15s on 500 watts.

To the OP, perhaps you should figure out if you want ported or sealed. If you listen to more rock I'd probably lean more towards sealed. But I'm not sure if you'll miss the output in the 20-50 hz range that the ported box would boost for you. But if you keep the BL obviously it's not recommended to go into a sealed enclosure.

The more subs you have, the more power you will have to feed them.

This is untrue. In fact, the more subs you have, the less power you have to feed them to keep the same output. One 15" on 1000 watts is theoretically the same as two 15s on 500 watts.

And then you add power compression and it should even be more output on the two.

With this 1200 w amp you should be good with a single 15" like an xcon, or even with 2 12's Icon.

I like simple system with only one sub in the back in a good custom ported box.

What did you not like in the BL's ?

This information could help us to help you !!!

I know you are not thinking about them anymore, but I personally would go with the two 10's. I am still unsure of what you are trying to achieve but for the power and the availiable air space that you have those 10's would sound REALLY good, especially with rock. Bigger or more doesnt always =better or louder.

Edited by total mayhem

Hey Everyone,

I am switching from my 15 BL to either 12's or 10's. I love the 15's but I sold one to a friend and am trying to sell another one that I never even used NIB. Anyway, I was thinking of doing 2 or 3 12's or maybe even 4 10's. I just have not really made up my mind yet. I have not had either and I was wondering which you guys prefer.

If you were going to make a system and had either choice what would you choose and why. Also what brand would you go with, I'm looking for good loud subs that stay tight and keep there quality.

For now they will be on a SAE-1200 but I plan on moving to a 2000 in the future when I upgrade my electrical further.

Basically just looking to discuss on this and look for some ideas.

Thanks,

Josh

I would take the 12's. I'd only do 10's if that was my only option

I really enjoyed the 15 BL's they were bad ass. But I have a friend from micronesia who wanted to buy them off me with the box and hook up his suv.

I have really been into rock lately because rap is just turning to garbage. But every now and then I like to throw on some old stuff and bam it.

I was thinking of of some *cons or Q's

I don't really understand what you mean by choose the ones that are most optimized by your car.

Yea, I'm still up in the air about wether to go with ported or sealed.

What do you mean about power compression?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand it better.

Well if you liked the sub, don't sell it to him. You don't have to give it to him just because he asks. Make him buy a new one if you want to keep your old one.

Power compression is when so much power is put into a voice coil that it heats up and becomes less efficient at turning that power into sound. Basically, according to theory, if you double input power to a subwoofer you will gain 3db. However, as you reach the limits of the sub, it is not able to turn that power into sound as well. So take, for example, a 1000 watt sub. If you increase the power from 10 to 20 watts, you will probably see a 3db output increase. However, if you increase power from 500 to 1000 watts, in real life you may only see a 2.5 db increase due to power compression. If you try to double power again to 2000 watts, you may only see a 1 db increase over the 1000 watt level (given that the sub survives).

Well if you liked the sub, don't sell it to him. You don't have to give it to him just because he asks. Make him buy a new one if you want to keep your old one.

Power compression is when so much power is put into a voice coil that it heats up and becomes less efficient at turning that power into sound. Basically, according to theory, if you double input power to a subwoofer you will gain 3db. However, as you reach the limits of the sub, it is not able to turn that power into sound as well. So take, for example, a 1000 watt sub. If you increase the power from 10 to 20 watts, you will probably see a 3db output increase. However, if you increase power from 500 to 1000 watts, in real life you may only see a 2.5 db increase due to power compression. If you try to double power again to 2000 watts, you may only see a 1 db increase over the 1000 watt level (given that the sub survives).

Nice explanation....makes it easy to understand.

Well if you have one btl on a SAZ-2000D, and you're adding another btl.... you can't power them both with the SAZ-2000D.

Edited by keetykush

Well if you have one btl on a SAZ-2000D, and you're adding another btl.... you can't power them both with the SAZ-2000D.

Why not?

Why not?

x2. There's no such thing of underpowering a woofer.

Why not?

Misc-OhSnap.jpg

Why not?

Misc-OhSnap.jpg

:owned: