Sign in to follow this  
hardrock2401

factory tweeter and speaker question

I have a 1997 grand am and it came stock with tweeters, the door speakers are 4x6's. Tried a search for it but came up with nothin. How do I go about upgrading them, do I upgrade the speaker and tweeter seperate or what, do they have a factory crossover.

Thanks for any help.

From what I've seen, especially with GMs is that they wire the tweeter in parallel with the woofer, sometimes with a Capacitor in line, sometimes not. With some newer systems, like some Monsoon systems I have worked with, they are bi amped and crossed over in the amp circuitry. Dumb if you want drop in replacements. This won't apply to you.

I'd try to get something besides 4x6s to fit. They aren't the best speakers to be working with. You can eliminate the tweeters all together if you do put in new speakers. What is the speaker locations anyways for those? Top of the Dash?

I am planning on gettin component speakers down the road (so dont worry about me keeping 4x6's, I dont want them either) and amping them, but right now the stock speakers sound like crap...just wondered how I could just replace the 4x6 with somthing temporary until I get the component ones.

The tweeters are at the corner of the glass on the door and the 4x6 is low in the door. Thanks

Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB461P 4-by-6-Inch Coaxial Plate-Style Speakers (Pair, Black): Electronics

I would look into something like this if I was in your position. Then you could just leave the stock tweets in if they don't sound bad, or upgrade them also. Maybe even just eliminate them all together. But a plate with round speakers will sound way better than normal 4x6s.