Which Mids/Highs amp?

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which amp?

• Rockford Fosgate Punch 400-2
    • JL Audio G2250
    • Boston Acoustics GTA-802
    • Sundown SAX 50.4
    • Other

Like the thread says, looking for an amp for mids/highs. This will only be powering the front stage, so I was looking at 2 channel amps, 4 channel amps would work as well, but i'd kinda feel like i was wasting money on 2 extra channels (if this was for me, i would go 4 channel and just bi-amp, but its for a friend). He already has speakers that are 2 ohm and rated at 70 watts RMS. He doesn't have a specific budget for this amp, but around $200 should work for his overall system budget. Also, this is going to be professionally installed, so mainstream brands can cost a little more, since it will save on installation costs.

I was looking at:

RF Punch 400-2 (would be lots of headroom and plenty of power if he upgrades speakers later)

JL G2250

Boston Acoustics GTA-802

Sundown SAX 50.4 (wouldn't have much headroom, but would have the most expandability options if upgraded later)

Leaning towards either the RF or the Sundown, but I'm open to suggestions

Sundown

Sundown for quality and crossover features it has available.

I just bought a MB Quart DSC 4125 from an ebay seller for less than $140.00 shipped. :trippy:

Hooking it up this weekend, will let you know how I like it.

Specs and features are great and the guts look very nice also.

125 x 4

250 x 4 @ 2

500 x 2 bridged

Not my pic

000_0014.jpg?t=1263349973

That MB Quart actually looks pretty beefy, but it might be a little overkill in the power department. I'm curious to see how it performs

Edit: what kind of crossover options does it have? (ie. can you use it to bi-amp?)

Edited by Solid_State13

That MB Quart actually looks pretty beefy, but it might be a little overkill in the power department. I'm curious to see how it performs

Edit: what kind of crossover options does it have? (ie. can you use it to bi-amp?)

Ever heard of a Gain knob?

Ever heard of a Gain knob?

Misc-OhSnap.jpg

nope, never.

My point was that I would rather get a higher quality, lower power amp than spend the money on over 3X the rated RMS of the speakers

Ever heard of headroom?

Sundown all day, I got a 50.4 and love it.

nope, never.

My point was that I would rather get a higher quality, lower power amp than spend the money on over 3X the rated RMS of the speakers

Ever heard of headroom?

yes i've heard of headroom. But like I said before, it seems a little bit overkill to pay for 3X the required power when that money could instead go towards an amp with lower power and higher build quality, especially since a decent amp should have enough headroom even when run at its rated RMS

but going back and forth like this isn't really going anywhere, so if you think that the power output of the MB quart trumps the build quality and features of the sundown, just say so

This will only be powering the front stage, so I was looking at 2 channel amps, 4 channel amps would work as well, but i'd kinda feel like i was wasting money on 2 extra channels

You would them loose your left and right control.. which isn't bad.. but wouldn't you also lose your time alignment feature from your HU? (assuming you have that feature).. i'm really curious cause i wanna run active front stage w/ time alignment and if i could get away with using a 2 channel it would be great!!!

especially since a decent amp should have enough headroom even when run at its rated RMS

Decent amps don't have any headroom. An amplifier with headroom is indicative of an amplifier with a weak and poorly engineered power supply, unless it has a special gimmick in it like the RF T15KW.

so if you think that the power output of the MB quart trumps the build quality and features of the sundown, just say so

If the MBQ has the quality and features the owner needs, I'd take the higher power option every day of the week :)

especially since a decent amp should have enough headroom even when run at its rated RMS

Decent amps don't have any headroom. An amplifier with headroom is indicative of an amplifier with a weak and poorly engineered power supply, unless it has a special gimmick in it like the RF T15KW.

so if you think that the power output of the MB quart trumps the build quality and features of the sundown, just say so

If the MBQ has the quality and features the owner needs, I'd take the higher power option every day of the week :)

x2

Really people spend too much time branding equipment rather than building something that makes actual sense.