Lifted07Duramax

Had a car audio shop tell me JL amps were better than sundown

He said they pull less amps and have more adjustability. He also tried to get me to get a W3 over getting an SA12

He looked up sundowns website and looked at their product and said it looked great and all but JL was still better. LOL

What do you guys think about that?

Also 3 different car audio shops I went to hadnt even heard of sundown. I tried telling them they are a top rated company on the car audio forums and they all looked at me like I didnt know WTF I was talking about

He said they pull less amps and have more adjustability. He also tried to get me to get a W3 over getting an SA12

He looked up sundowns website and looked at their product and said it looked great and all but JL was still better. LOL

What do you guys think about that?

Also 3 different car audio shops I went to hadnt even heard of sundown. I tried telling them they are a top rated company on the car audio forums and they all looked at me like I didnt know WTF I was talking about

You answered your own question in that post, ignorance is bliss and what you dont know will come to bite you in the ass in the future. Not saying JL is bad, they are a great company way more pricey. It is a personal decision dont let them tell you JL is better let yourself tell you that but its more about what is your budget and goals that will determine whats better for you?

People just trying to make their business survive. Would you tell a customer that a product, that you didn't sell was better or equal to what you sell? No, you wouldn't because they are just trying to sell their product, and put food on their family table.

jlaudio is a dollar a watt,so for the price of the 1000/1 you can get the saz3500.I know which one im getting,but jlaudio`s highs are very good.. :drink40:

remember also shops will try to push a certain product on you so they can reach their quota! like sundown is an internet kind a deal and if they tell you sundown is better they benefit nothing! but if they tell you jl is better and they SELL you jl product then guess what they get a cut of that money!

remember the main goal of any establishment is to make money/ profit! if you can't, well you know what happens!

but like jay-cee said it is based on your preferance, buget, and goals!

i was a die hard JL fan.. at one point i had 4 jl w3 12's and 2 JL W6 15s ran with all JL amps in one trunk..... check the sig now......

altho JL makes GREAT amps and they do have great circuity that as far as i knoe no other company offers.. and thats giving rated power no matter the ohm load ( to a limit.) and that is great for some people.. but dollor for dollor amp for amp.. if sundown hands down everyday..

and its no shocker that shops dont know who sundown audio is... and its damn sure no shocker that a shop will tell you that JL is better then X company because when all else fails.. you go with whatcha know......

sundown allday. every day... if you think you cant afford it think again... buy once buy right.. there is somthing to be said about that.

oh I wasnt asking which is better only stating what these shop owners had to say. Why is it most car audio shop owners are such arsehos, most were pretty rude.

But the one guy who looked up sundown already knew I had the amp and knew I wasnt going to buy a JL from him and still said the 1000/1 would easily give the sundown 1200D a run for its money. But yes he wanted ALOT more money for the JL than I paid for the sundown.

the only thing I like about the slash series is that they put out rated power no matter if your voltage is 12 or 14

oh I wasnt asking which is better only stating what these shop owners had to say. Why is it most car audio shop owners are such arsehos, most were pretty rude.

But the one guy who looked up sundown already knew I had the amp and knew I wasnt going to buy a JL from him and still said the 1000/1 would easily give the sundown 1200D a run for its money. But yes he wanted ALOT more money for the JL than I paid for the sundown.

you just have to find a shop thats not overly pushy.

all of them will try to get you to buy their products, but a good one wont put down your product of choice they know nothing about.

I worked at a shop for a few years, I was great friends with the owner. My first system was all of his stuff, then one day I showed up with a 3000D and he loved it.

altho JL makes GREAT amps and they do have great circuity that as far as i knoe no other company offers.. and thats giving rated power no matter the ohm load ( to a limit.) and that is great for some people..

the only thing I like about the slash series is that they put out rated power no matter if your voltage is 12 or 14

The first is in part and the second is completely due to the regulated power supply. Quite a number of amps on the market have it. So these points aren't that special, although they are selling points for some people.

As for this thread, we get one on here every week or two. So your town's shops are not special in either not knowing or hyping their own products over these internet companies'.

Honestly... the SAE-1200D would stomp a mud hole up and down the JL 1000/1 in power output wired @ 1 ohm.

Not to say the JL isn't a nice amp -- JL makes a very nice product.

JL amplifiers are very nice, but the crossover network does not compare, and you are getting more power per dollar with Sundown, not to mention you can talk directly to the owner here.

The JL fan boy is here! Sundown Audio makes a great product and so does JL audio. Sundown and Jl Audio both have top notch customer service (I've dealt with JL and seen how Jacob does work here). Sundown is much more economical with prices. Simple as that. But that'ts not to say that JL is overpriced either. If you're talking about dollar per watt, amps like Audison, Helix, McIntosh, and Zapcos can cost much more than JL amps.

The JL fan boy is here! Sundown Audio makes a great product and so does JL audio. Sundown and Jl Audio both have top notch customer service (I've dealt with JL and seen how Jacob does work here). Sundown is much more economical with prices. Simple as that. But that'ts not to say that JL is overpriced either. If you're talking about dollar per watt, amps like Audison, Helix, McIntosh, and Zapcos can cost much more than JL amps.

:drink40:

Honestly... the SAE-1200D would stomp a mud hole up and down the JL 1000/1 in power output wired @ 1 ohm.

It does. My friend has a 1000/1, and after updating just my fuse, even with 4 gauge wire, my saz-1200 is walking all over the JL.

It does. My friend has a 1000/1, and after updating just my fuse, even with 4 gauge wire, my saz-1200 is walking all over the JL.

Just playing the Devil's Advocate here. But what do you mean exactly? Did you clamp the two of them, or is your system just louder?

The first is in part and the second is completely due to the regulated power supply. Quite a number of amps on the market have it. So these points aren't that special, although they are selling points for some people.

I know why it does what it does, never said anything was special about it simply stating what I like about it, special or not.

i was a die hard JL fan.. at one point i had 4 jl w3 12's and 2 JL W6 15s ran with all JL amps in one trunk..... check the sig now......

altho JL makes GREAT amps and they do have great circuity that as far as i knoe no other company offers.. and thats giving rated power no matter the ohm load ( to a limit.) and that is great for some people.. but dollor for dollor amp for amp.. if sundown hands down everyday..

and its no shocker that shops dont know who sundown audio is... and its damn sure no shocker that a shop will tell you that JL is better then X company because when all else fails.. you go with whatcha know......

sundown allday. every day... if you think you cant afford it think again... buy once buy right.. there is somthing to be said about that.

Rockford Fosgate® - T2500-1bdCP :fyi:

Edited by power-fanatic07

That's between 1 and 2 ohm, not 1.5 and 4. The Slash also does the same power at several different voltages.

The Phoenix Gold Xenon amps did the same as the slash series amp, just lacked in quality when compared to JL

Maybe he just wanted to get rid of you. I mean what was the point of going to the shop looking at amps anyway if you already got the sundown? Would you have walked out of the shop happier if the guy told you "yeah, the sundown kicks the shit out of the JLs". I own a SAE-1000D and a SAE-1200D. I won't go to a shop and ask them to compare their products to what I have. It's a waste of gas. It's like going to a Chevy dealer to look at their Camaros when you already own a Shelby-500.

Maybe he just wanted to get rid of you. I mean what was the point of going to the shop looking at amps anyway if you already got the sundown? Would you have walked out of the shop happier if the guy told you "yeah, the sundown kicks the shit out of the JLs". I own a SAE-1000D and a SAE-1200D. I won't go to a shop and ask them to compare their products to what I have. It's a waste of gas. It's like going to a Chevy dealer to look at their Camaros when you already own a Shelby-500.

There is no comparison :)

The Phoenix Gold Xenon amps did the same as the slash series amp, just lacked in quality when compared to JL

I don't know about that. Sort of the last hurrah for PG. The 200.4 can find a place in my cars at ANY time and I'll be happy.

As to the OP, it comes down to your needs. The JL's are power hogs, not overly impressive in output, but are the most flexible amps on the market. Are they overpriced? IMO all new amps are as you win when you buy something used that was quality to begin with. yes I run the JL's, but you'd also crap if you knew what I paid for them. :)

Its not just the power' its the customer service!! you can make contact with sundown about anytime of the day. The worst thing that might happen, is Brandon may answer the phone.