topgun

Windshield Reflections with front stage

Ok, so my front stage is composed of a pair of MLI 6.5's in the doors, and a pair of Fostex FF85k's (3" full range) in the dash. What I am wanting to discuss is windshield reflections.

Where my head is normally is a slightly nasty reflection point, not sure how this relates to phasing issues, reflections, and off axis response. I noticed this awhile ago when reaching for something across my car while listening to a CD and noticing the change as I moved my head across the car. The MLI's and Fostex's are crossed over at ~400hz with the amplifiers onboard crossovers due to the fact my DCX bit the dust. The amps that are being used are a PPI 4240 and a RF 450.2

Thoughts on ways to go about attacking this problem?

My initial thoughs are to make a offset ring to angle the speaker away from the windshield more in order to get the reflection point farther away from the source point . I can't get to carried away without making some ugly blob on my dash which I really don't want since I put a lot of miles on it and don't care to look at it. Also, I am wondering if it is more pronounced on the drivers side since due to the slope of the dash there it is pointed more at the windshield to begin with.

Passenger corner

DSCN1167.jpg

Drivers side

DSCN1165.jpg

LOL NooB! You noticed a change when you moved your listening position.

Seriously, I don't know how much room you have under the dash pad, but I'd try to sink them down and make a wave guide, or make a wave guide above them as they sit now.

Any idear what the offending frequency range is? I would imagine you have a region where the reflection isn't really a problem, and some region where you notice the problem.

It's hard to tell what the dimension of the dash are there, but if the problem frequencies are higher and the dimension there in the corner of the dash aren't bad, you may be able to tame them with some possibly unobtrusive open cell foam shoved there in the corner of the dash.

An informal waveguide would probably work, but I think anything useful would probably be too obtrusive.

Narrowing down the frequencies would definitely help.

Obviously a closer to on axis blob would help, but hopefully we can clean it up some without having to get that extreme.