Wackzirth88

Sae 1200 on stock alternator?

My current setup is 2 12" Orion xtr pros dvc 4 ohms wired to 1 ohm powered by rd audio 1000.1 v1 amp with all 0 gauge power and grounds. I have a stock 110 amp alt with a big three upgrade in knukonceptz copper clad 1/0 wire and a litte beefer battery then my car requires. I've been looking into sundown for a while and would love to get a sae 1200 v2. My electrical handles the 1000.1 pretty good, lights don't realy dim unless I'm parked with it cranked up, and voltage doesn't usually go under 13. I know it'd be ideal to upgrade to a HO alt but I don't plan on having this car for more than a year or so. So I was thinking could I upgrade to the sundown amp if I added a yellow top or some other good battery(open to suggestions) in the trunk? Thanks in advance.

yea you should be fine with your stock alt. yea and you should probably add a battery as well

what's you budget for a battery?

My current setup is 2 12" Orion xtr pros dvc 4 ohms wired to 1 ohm powered by rd audio 1000.1 v1 amp with all 0 gauge power and grounds. I have a stock 110 amp alt with a big three upgrade in knukonceptz copper clad 1/0 wire and a litte beefer battery then my car requires. I've been looking into sundown for a while and would love to get a sae 1200 v2. My electrical handles the 1000.1 pretty good, lights don't realy dim unless I'm parked with it cranked up, and voltage doesn't usually go under 13. I know it'd be ideal to upgrade to a HO alt but I don't plan on having this car for more than a year or so. So I was thinking could I upgrade to the sundown amp if I added a yellow top or some other good battery(open to suggestions) in the trunk? Thanks in advance.

Well since you want a temporary fix I would buy a voltmeter and secondary battery and monitor your voltage, that is the only way to tell if your electrical can work well with the SAE-1200v2 but it should be enough.

Yea I was plannig on getting a volt meter. As far as a budget on a battery I'd say no more than 200. I've looked into kinetik and shrukien batteries and they seem like another really good option. And I see a lot of people using yellow tops that's why I said that first but what would be the best?

Edited by zack w

What is your main battery under your hood, what kind?

It's a dura start battery model #65-60 crank amps 1000 and cca 850, if that's any help. I just got it sometime in the summer of 09. And I said it's a little beefer battery than my car requires because my car is a 1999 ford contour 4 cylinder and the battery that I replaced was like 750 crank amps 600 cca.

Will you have any other amps in the car besides the Sundown, if not then adding a yellowtop will due or any other battery equivalent to that.

Extra battery in back and you should be good to go.

Whats wrong with the RD amp?

nothings wrong with the rd amp. But I would like to upgrade to the sae 1200, I've read alot of good things about it and would like to own one myself. Is it a worth while upgrade?

More of a lateral move then an upgrade since you wont gain anything going from 1000w-1200w.

Sundown is a nice amp tho and it is your money. Just asking because I thought the RD's were pretty nice amps.

I have done the same a few times in my life just to change things up, so I am not one to judge.

doesnt the sae 1200 put out 1500 watts though? I like my rd 1000.1 but i cant say the same for my rd 1000.1 v2. I've had some bad luck with newer rd products that i've purchased so i'm pretty much looking for change, like you said. after doing some research sundown seems like it would be a good change-up.

Just because I did not see you say this anywhere, you have the Big 3 done, correct?

I have stock alt and batt in my car and I am running my SAZ-1000D at 1 ohm with no problems, (alt is only 85 amps!).

Just checking...

Just because I did not see you say this anywhere, you have the Big 3 done, correct?

I have stock alt and batt in my car and I am running my SAZ-1000D at 1 ohm with no problems, (alt is only 85 amps!).

Just checking...

yes sir I do have the big 3( 2nd sentence of my 1st post). Yea my rd 1000.1 at 1 ohm runs great off my electrical. I just didn't know if 1500 watts or capability to draw 150 amps of current would be pushing it.

More of a lateral move then an upgrade since you wont gain anything going from 1000w-1200w.

Sundown is a nice amp tho and it is your money. Just asking because I thought the RD's were pretty nice amps.

I have done the same a few times in my life just to change things up, so I am not one to judge.

in my opinion it would be a great upgrade since the rd 1000.1 its rated at 14.4 v so at 90% efficiency its potential max out put is 1114 watts and the sundown is rated at 12.8v and 90% efficiency is still actually under rated and can actually do at max power could put out 1728 watts on ideal conditions . to me its a mush better amp

i also just have a 110alt , going to have yellow top batt and big 3 done, and people on this forum told me that i should be ok with just an additional batt in the rear, wish im going to do, ill be running the same amp as you the sae 1200, and also the sax 100.4, from my calculations the set up will me just fine power wise .

so yours should to.

Edited by ivan95m

Just checking...

yes sir I do have the big 3( 2nd sentence of my 1st post). Yea my rd 1000.1 at 1 ohm runs great off my electrical. I just didn't know if 1500 watts or capability to draw 150 amps of current would be pushing it.

Sorry, didn't see it...

Would a shuriken bt60 be sufficient? 1500 crank amps and 60 amp hours

i would do something more like Kinetik HC2000 or something around this

I suggest simply upgrading the under-hood battery to the best XS Power or Stinger AGM battery that will fit.

Otherwise you should be fine.