gadgeteer123

15" xcon in a temporary infinite baffle setup.

I have been broke since the xcon, I sold some stuff and borrowed money from my mom to get it, I just sold my old kove subwoofer this morning, I am gonna try and order a box from one of the guys on here. If you search you can find the enclosure I wan't built.

are you my ex-gf? you have a damn excuse for everything, you can't build a box yourself but you can torture a sub in a closet with duct tape and brag about how good it sounds? I mean do you think the box you build yourself is going to look worse than the vids you posted above? Do you think it wont' function as well? Is the (tiny in comparison to the xcon cost) investment too much?

you have your expensive sub stuck in a closet door because you're too ignorant to do anything better with it, and therefore have to wait for someone else to fix your problem for you......

do you not see something fundamentally wrong with that? With a $50-$75 investment you could have an ungodly loud setup while you wait for you "professional" box and you'll even have a properly functioning subwoofer to go in it.

I have been broke since the xcon, I sold some stuff and borrowed money from my mom to get it, I just sold my old kove subwoofer this morning, I am gonna try and order a box from one of the guys on here. If you search you can find the enclosure I wan't built.

I personally cannot think of a single reason I would waste time searching for what you want built, if you honestly think I should know what you want you should at least take your right hand off your man meat long enough to paste the link for everyone, it's common courtesy.

I normally do post the link but I was in a hurry since I was busy making food, and I did do the door thing just because i was curious if it would work, its always interested me. i am taking it down tomorrow, it did suck at anything above 35hz though but that is expected. I want to build a box but my mom wont let me use her wood, and I am saving eevery penny I can get for my new enclosure, here is the link.

I am looking for someone to build a Enclosure - SSA Car Audio Forum

Ok let me just throw these out there, these aren't just my opinions, they are facts that you simply aren't grasping.....

I'll bet $350 against your xcon that it did not sound good below 35hz or above 35hz, or at exactly 35hz. You sub in your closet sounded awful, you just don't know enough about sound to know it, and that's insulting to you, but you need to grow the frig up and accept it or become a recluse and chant "ignorance is bliss". Everyone here will tell you that their first awful system sounded better(to them) than their $40k system now simply because we were all too stupid at one point to know what sounds good. The better you get at listening (something you are incredibly bad at) the more you can pick out what is "wrong" with music, the more wrong you eliminate the more good you get. YOU HAVE ALL WRONG so you have no good.

You're having trouble getting a box built because of the SAME reason you're having trouble getting help, it's YOU and your attitude. I would not build a box for you, I wouldn't even approach it because you want all kinds of stupid shit without doing any research to see what you may actually NEED. You're asking a professional box builder to carpet the inside of your box because you know it's what you want, but everyone has tried to tell you that's stupid....but you still want it and you think that because you have some money you should be able to buy whatever you want. Take a moment and give respect to the person building your box, tell him what you want the subwoofer to do, and take whatever the frig he builds you and see if it doesn't sound better than anything you've ever heard. You have money but no talent and you won't listen to the people with talent(and there are other people with money that will listen and won't bitch later).

I have grown really annoyed by you at this point and I'm done trying to help you (like most of the other people). I do wish you good luck and hope that you don't waste too much money.

edited for the tippy ties

Ok let me just throw these out there, these aren't just my opinions, they are facts that you simply aren't grasping.....

I'll bet $350 against your xcon that it did not sound good below 35hz or above 35hz, or at exactly 35hz. You sub in your closet sounded awful, you just don't know enough about sound to know it, and that's insulting to you, but you need to grow the frig up and accept it or become a recluse and chant "ignorance is bliss". Everyone here will tell you that their first awful system sounded better(to them) than their $40k system now simply because we were all too stupid at one point to know what sounds good. The better you get at listening (something you are incredibly bad at) the more you can pick out what is "wrong" with music, the more wrong you eliminate the more good you get. YOU HAVE ALL WRONG so you have no good.

You're having trouble getting a box built because of the SAME reason you're having trouble getting help, it's YOU and your attitude. I would not build a box for you, I wouldn't even approach it because you want all kinds of stupid shit without doing any research to see what you may actually NEED. You're asking a professional box builder to carpet the inside of your box because you know it's what you want, but everyone has tried to tell you that's stupid....but you still want it and you think that because you have some money you should be able to buy whatever you want. Take a moment and give respect to the person building your box, tell him what you want the subwoofer to do, and take whatever the frig he builds you and see if it doesn't sound better than anything you've ever heard. You have money but no talent and you won't listen to the people with talent(and there are other people with money that will listen and won't bitch later).

I have grown really annoyed by you at this point and I'm done trying to help you (like most of the other people). I do wish you good luck and hope that you don't waste too much money.

edited for the tippy ties

I know what sounds good, i have heard good subs and I have a pair of $160 dj headphones. I'm not saying it sounded great, It sounded loud. like spl loud for 200 watts. and if you would of read the whole topic, i dropped the carpet idea and asked for ideas to what color to paint the inside. I may not of heard a ton of speakers, but I do not what good sound is. And I did ask a lot of people to what box is best and I came up with that 4.0 cubic foot box tuned at 29hz

you know you guys say i'm not doing things right, yet i am building my box to what you guys suggested, I got the speaker you guys suggested, and I am seeking out pros on here to build it. So I am just a little confused.

I normally do post the link but I was in a hurry since I was busy making food, and I did do the door thing just because i was curious if it would work, its always interested me. i am taking it down tomorrow, it did suck at anything above 35hz though but that is expected. I want to build a box but my mom wont let me use her wood, and I am saving eevery penny I can get for my new enclosure, here is the link.

I am looking for someone to build a Enclosure - SSA Car Audio Forum

ok this really is my last one..... you realize you did nothing but make excuses for yourself again, right? you did nothing but make an excuse for.....

*not posting the link (I shouldn't expect courtesy because you were cooking and hitting the post button also stopped the doomsday timer?)

*doing the door thing (we should hold our tongues and not tell you how stupid it is because you were curious and struggle with steep learning curves?)

*thinking it sounded good (sure anything below 35hz sounded great because you're presence defies physics)

*not being able to build a box (nobody here is shocked that you mentioned your mom and put blame on her, you don't have to be Dr. Phil to see that one coming)

*still thinking the damn thing sounds good (so you have $160 dj headphones? you also have a $400 sub in a closet door and should be wearing a helmet)

*wait no i meant SPL loud, off 200W (no senior member here will ever ever ever say this....gee i wonder why?)

i mean the only real excuse is it's your fault, period. try something like this next time....

Sorry about not posting the link, I included it this time. The door thing was obviously stupid but I'm glad you all caught me before I destroyed my awesome new sub. I thought it sounded good but from what you all say it can sound much better so I'm going to look at some installs using 15" subwoofers for home theater and see what kind of setups they've used. I don't have any tools and have never built a box, and honestly the idea of it is too intimidating for me so I'd rather just pay someone to do it for me.

its not intimidating I will try and build a box but i expect help when i need it, i will be nice but i'd like help. and infinite baffle requires a large room which it is in one, so i dont understand this how it can destroy it being in the door, its not my attitude i really don't understand how it can wreck it under such low power. the amps power supply shuts off before it gets to loud.

The sheer amount of closed minded nascence in this thread is unbearable.

Let the kid have some fun and do his thing. When I first got into audio I threw an MTX 4500 8" in a cardboard box and jammed in my room, sure I didn't post it on the internet but the was you guys are reacting makes me glad I didn't. I honestly think I would have been deleted form the forum if I posted anything like that and it's completely despicable. Let people enjoy their audio, because it is THEIR audio; not yours.

can you please explain to me exactly why the door will wreck it and I will be done on this topic and leave you guys alone. Please

A very good question, the door is NOT properly sealed so in the end you're really just going to have a sub moving so much you bottom it out trying to get it to be louder. You will not be able to achieve those awesome SPL loud tones that you desire because your front and rear waves are interacting and your sub is in a 20cubic foot box tuned to about 2khz (essentially what happens when you have a large leaky enclosure)

Also FWIW you completely forget about how much power you're throwing at the sub once you go IB, a 1500W sub can easily be overpowered (not clipped) by 200w IB (you have no air spring from your sealed enclosure).

and a link explaining IB

http://home.comcast.net/~infinitelybaffled/

(note, not reading the link and then asking dumbass questions that are clearly explained in the link will be cause for us making even more fun of you)

The sheer amount of closed minded nascence in this thread is unbearable.

Let the kid have some fun and do his thing. When I first got into audio I threw an MTX 4500 8" in a cardboard box and jammed in my room, sure I didn't post it on the internet but the was you guys are reacting makes me glad I didn't. I honestly think I would have been deleted form the forum if I posted anything like that and it's completely despicable. Let people enjoy their audio, because it is THEIR audio; not yours.

I'm 99% certain that if you feel that strongly about it Aaron would be more than happy to transfer Small Town's warranty responsibility to you.

um you can hear it, you can hear below 20hz if you are hitting volumes of above 120db, look it up, if you wanna see true loudness, google the rotary subwoofer, that thing can flex garage doors. and I have sonys best headphones that can hit down to 5hz and i have heard 5hz before, it is really quiet but it was there. and i have great hearing, I have been in sound test before, and I could hear up to 28,000hz, that was a few years ago though, idn if i can hear that anymore after all my loud music.

No you can't. Just because a speaker plays to a frequency does not mean you can hear it. You also cannot hear 28kHz. LOL. In fact, I'd bet $1M you can't hear either and I can guarantee I'll win.

I am sick of your attitude and responses. This thread is closed. You have a week to read the T&C's before you will be able to post again. During this week, please leave the Xcon in the box as I really don't want to hear what excuse you have when you blow it by doing something stupid.

*note, when you come back you will not be given as much leeway as you have already had. Time for you to grow up, stop with the excuses and follow instructions.

And for the others that had their personal attacks removed, please stop. There is no place for that either :(

I got alot of laughs from this. Reminds me of when I was young and bored. had no car so I mounted an 18" in a large paint bucket. Did ok for a 15 yr/old with no money. lols

Great videos.

Just be careful as it would be a shame to push the driver to failure before getting to use it in a vehicle.

here is alittle help to get you going... so you don't have a bunch of money to get a box built..... anymore there is alot of older guys who love to build stuff out of wood and have a shop at home full of wood working tools...So.... first i would ask someone nicely to send you some plains for a box for your sub ... then i bet if you posted a ad on craigs list in your town you could find some nice old guy who has all the tools in your town who would build you a box to your plains...you buy a sheet of mdf and some wood glue.. some screws.. and pay him... mite be surprized at how cheap some old guy who use to make cabintes for a living mite do it for you, and if you are nice he mite let you help, and teach you to while doing it... i bet there is alot of old guys out there who are bored and just go out to there shop to get away from the wife and drink a couple beers..... just a idea.... but worth a try..........

I am sorry for anyone that i have bothered with this, i just was looking for some laughs and some conversation, if you wan't me to change anything, do please tell me, it is ok if you are blunt about it just as long as it is informative.

You've got a very strange sense of humor. I would laugh if I see a guy bail out your car because of the system being too loud(installed properly maybe).

But that is just disgrace... That woofer deserves more than played in a "door sealed with cardboard and ducktape... :suicide-santa:

Maybe this looks funny to you, but for us audiophiles... we love your subs and amps. We spend hours and hours a day trying to "take care" of them so they will take care of us when we turn the volume up.

If you are so bored, why don't your try make a real box? I don't know about you, but with 300$ I can build myself like 2 or 3 boxes.

lol are you pucking serious? he can do whatever he wants. its a free country. in fact i could just go buy 10 xcons and just throw them off the roof of my house onto my asphault driveway. lol if theyre mine i can do whatever i want with them. just because its a car audio driver doesnt mean he HAS to go make a "real box" and make it into a nice system in his car. wth is wrong with you? did you just find out your gf cheated on you with 10 dudes so you get on these forums and just talk down on people? shit... I applaud this guy for doing something creative when hes bored. dont be such a pucking debby downer.

EDIT: why does it seem like half the people on this forum are just here to one up people and try to prove they have more knowledge about audio then anyone else? he was just sharing a creative experience he had when he was bored with us. i dont see what is so wrong with putting a sub in a door or cardboard or whatever that is. god damn....

Edited by Gioia69

I am sorry for anyone that i have bothered with this, i just was looking for some laughs and some conversation, if you wan't me to change anything, do please tell me, it is ok if you are blunt about it just as long as it is informative.

You've got a very strange sense of humor. I would laugh if I see a guy bail out your car because of the system being too loud(installed properly maybe).

But that is just disgrace... That woofer deserves more than played in a "door sealed with cardboard and ducktape... :suicide-santa:

Maybe this looks funny to you, but for us audiophiles... we love your subs and amps. We spend hours and hours a day trying to "take care" of them so they will take care of us when we turn the volume up.

If you are so bored, why don't your try make a real box? I don't know about you, but with 300$ I can build myself like 2 or 3 boxes.

lol are you pucking serious? he can do whatever he wants. its a free country. in fact i could just go buy 10 xcons and just throw them off the roof of my house onto my asphault driveway. lol if theyre mine i can do whatever i want with them. just because its a car audio driver doesnt mean he HAS to go make a "real box" and make it into a nice system in his car. wth is wrong with you? did you just find out your gf cheated on you with 10 dudes so you get on these forums and just talk down on people? shit... I applaud this guy for doing something creative when hes bored. dont be such a pucking debby downer.

EDIT: why does it seem like half the people on this forum are just here to one up people and try to prove they have more knowledge about audio then anyone else? he was just sharing a creative experience he had when he was bored with us. i dont see what is so wrong with putting a sub in a door or cardboard or whatever that is. god damn....

to answer your edit question I would say it's a function of your perspective. You are in the same realm of thought as others in that we should just smile and say good job, the other more, shall we say assertive, group chooses to point out his mistakes because the assertive group believes he is making a lot of mistakes that he isn't aware of. Given his obvious level of knowledge, what he is doing becomes far more dangerous to the sub (and therefore should be pointed out by others to avoid the catastrophe that may occur).

Regardless of the setup I feel this same set of responses would have occurred because STA has a very teenage "I already know everything" attitude which nobody ever takes quickly to, especially people that choose to share their knowledge and try to help ppl. I remember when I knew nothing(and now which side of the battery is negative) and I certainly didn't turn down someone's advice, especially telling me how to fix something that I was doing wrong. I didn't tell them that they didn't know what they were talking about or dismiss anything they've told me.

I can tell you that some of my best teachers have been the absolute meanest and if I would have gotten pussy hurt easily I would have missed out on a whole lot of shit.

Believe it or not our ideal scenario isn't for small town to leave, it's for him to listen for a while instead of talking, read instead of posting, and gain a shit ton of knowledge so that next time he gets bored he'll go grab the leftover supplies from his last cheap box build and throw together a proper box or at the very least be able to build a proper baffle for the speaker (and seal it to the door, we all know how easily this can be done and how much better the end product would have been).

Believe it or not our ideal scenario isn't for small town to leave, it's for him to listen for a while instead of talking, read instead of posting, and gain a shit ton of knowledge so that next time he gets bored he'll go grab the leftover supplies from his last cheap box build and throw together a proper box or at the very least be able to build a proper baffle for the speaker (and seal it to the door, we all know how easily this can be done and how much better the end product would have been).

Very well said. The idea is never to push anyone away, it is trying to get through the ideas and tried and true processes that have worked, especially for newer to the hobby people.

How old is this kid, 15? 16 maybe?

I remember being 15 and 16, I loved car audio and I knew everything about it. Come to think of it I knew everything about everything else in the world as well. Nasa used to pay me to listen for alien activity in the outskirts of the universe. After I retired from that I designed the better mouse trap and invented the internet. My 15" Thumps powered by my 1000 watt Rockwood amp were awesome. I built the boxes out of old doors and s few 5 gallon buckets.

But seriously, before you get to angry about what he's doing, remember, subs don't have feelings, they're inanimate objects and we were all young and knew everything at one point, too.