rrollin22

Maybe someone could help this guy out

I'm on it - thanks.

It's too bad that user is having such a tough time with his RL-i's. Totally uncharacteristic of those drivers based on my experience as well as that of many people (friends and internet buyers) that have used the RL-i10's as well. Don't really know what to say, but I offered him a full return credit if he'd like to try out some of the Premium drivers.

There's gotta be something else happening with his setup though.. shrug.gif

Update, same link above. He downloaded a video so maybe you could watch it Mike and tell him if its the sub that has a problem.

Yep, I saw the video and emailed the person about his options. I will cover those woofers under warranty even though I am a bit at a loss as to why the woofers are respoding that way, seeing as both of us were on the line when those products were tested before our eyes and they passed through fine :blink:

Ah well, you win some and you lose some - the buyer and I will work it out in private from here. Thanks for keepin' an eye out for me.

that guy just posted a new reply of what happened when he went to sound splinter with the subs. Something still seems wrong, I feel bad for the guy. It still seems like the subs are not right.

FINAL REPORT!!!

I spoke with mike and we decided that i would drive down to La Jolla(45 min drive) and return my subs for a brand spanking new set. I got off of work and got down there around 4:45. I spoke with the guy that was there(not mike) and of course he wanted to ensure that the ones i had were indeed bad. I showed him how the cone crackles when you tap on one side, but not the other and he said that no woofer can be built perfectly and that there was nothing wrong with that. He mentioned something about the magnets being really close to something or tight fitting, or something to that effect. So then we free-aired them on his machine and both had a nasty resonance at 90hz but he also said this was normal. They got a wee bit poppy, not too bad, around 60hz but they would still (he said) pass inspection. I offered to pull out a cvr and install one to show him exactly what i was talking about. He agreed so i went out to the parking lot and installed a SS in one side and a cvr in the other. My box is chambered so we could do a one on one comparison. I played a bass track and let him watch the SS max out and start popping. He said it was being pushed VERY hard even though it is only seeing 320watts. I then play the kicker for him and i turn the volume up another 7 notches past where the SS dies and the kicker just gets louder and stronger. I played a few other songs and let him watch as the cvr ate up the SS . I looked at him puzzled and he explained that the rubber on the SS surround is softer so it will reach max excursion before the kicker would. I told him that i was told the SS was a far superior speaker in every aspect and he said there was no doubt that the SS was a much better speaker. He said the design of the kicker won't allow it to bottom out but the SS will. I asked "so this is what to expect from sound spinter?" He said no but could offer no other explanation. He asked me to drive down again next week to try and work something out. I gave him my info and went home empty handed. I honestly just don't get it. This speaker has a hard on status on his board but just doesn't perform. Ok, so it has a deeper tone at low volumes but so what. As soon as you get to even a medium "i like this song" volume, you have to worry about it falling apart on you. The part that aggravates me is that i spent over $700 to get some nice LSQ subs in a custom box to replace my fosgate stage 2's and now i am right back where i started. I am tired of the hassle and won't be driving back down there.

Realm of excursion will be receiving videos of two free air rl-i 10's getting about 800 rms each playing late night tip.

wow..i just don't get it...

i wonder who he talked too? my rl-i8 just took 1700 watts in a ported box (gains set conservitely) and only bottomed out if i tried to crank it or up the settings...i don't get what's happening with his. and i know that my rl-i8 will go toe to toe with just about any other 10...

damn...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I think there is some miss-communication between whoever he talked to and mike. Mike already said he would take them back or trade up for the RL-p, which is what I would do!

Yes, that was indeed a misunderstanding. I told the people down in La Jolla to simply take those woofers and set them aside until I get a chance to come down and test them myself, but aparently they took it upon themselves to test it on the spot and then give the guy some hassle trying to say that they weren't going to cover the damn thing :Doh: . I certainly don't appreciate that they took it into their hands to turn away my customer, and will be speaking with them about this when I head down there in the next few days. nonono.gif

I went ahead and followed up in the thread on caraudio to explain what happened. Really sucks for the buyer after all this strife, to have to be given more run-around.. I just hope he doesn't nuke those subs before he reads my post! :unsure:

Too bad about his defective subs and being given the run around at the buildhouse. But it is still good as it shows some of Mike's famously good customer service. I love my RL-i 10.

I didnt want to say this on CA.com but that guy is fuking ignorant. Ive never seen someone try to help someone so much and have them be thankful but so cold about it all at the sametime.

update,

Hey mike,

I took them back with me because he didn't request that i leave them. I really appreciate YOUR excellent service regarding this matter but i don't think that soundsplinter can deliver what i am looking for. I need something to be significantly better than a kicker cvr and fosgate stage 2 with 300rms and .65 per sub. From the way he sounded, it seemed that although my subs weren't exactly up to par with the regular standards, they were close enough to pass. Once again, YOUR service and prompt responses are as good as it gets but i'm not going to take you up on your offer since i feel as though i am setting myself up for disappointment. Thanks again for the excellent customer service.

same amp same box significantly better??? im sure if you put almost any 10 incher in the same box with the same amp theyre gonna sound similar? ,within reason.new amp new box maybe is what this guy wants?

I didnt want to say this on CA.com but that guy is fuking ignorant. Ive never seen someone try to help someone so much and have them be thankful but so cold about it all at the sametime.

Thats the way some people are. Got that stick jammed to far up you know where....

Allright allright.. let's not get too flame happy here :hay:

I think this thread has run its course. Thanks again to those who keep an eye out on the other forums for me heart.gif

:lockd: