CrownVic

Enclosure Advice

I currently have my sub in a poorly designed enclosure accidently tuned to 53hz. Im going to have my dad build me a new one for my birthday. I designed one using the RE calc and came out with a "classic" L port box with the sub and port on same side, tuned to 31.5hz a 4.03 cubes. I want to have the sub facing up and the port back though because i use my trunk frequently and am paranoid about my sub. My question is how would i go about designing this? The total dimensions for the box i designed with sub and port same side are 26" W 21" H 20"D.

I also was wondering how this would affect the sound and volume. Thanks alot for the help.

make the port width 2.5" and the second length 3" and then build the box exactly how it looks. then just instead of cutting the hole for the sub on the same side as the port, cut it on the top.

what sub, 31hz may be a bit low for your goals and equipment...

I currently have my sub in a poorly designed enclosure accidently tuned to 53hz. Im going to have my dad build me a new one for my birthday. I designed one using the RE calc and came out with a "classic" L port box with the sub and port on same side, tuned to 31.5hz a 4.03 cubes. I want to have the sub facing up and the port back though because i use my trunk frequently and am paranoid about my sub. My question is how would i go about designing this? The total dimensions for the box i designed with sub and port same side are 26" W 21" H 20"D.

I also was wondering how this would affect the sound and volume. Thanks alot for the help.

It is going to affect the sound and volume of your subs output by a substantial margin, your going from 53hz to 30 something hz. You will play lower frequencies better and lack some output that you had with that high tuning but it should sound way better in my opinion.

Sub is an IA 187. I wasn't sure how low to go. I know ive been listening to alot of music where my sub will not hit the lows well at all. Also i plan on upgrading in the future to a different 15 and figured that would be a good box size for different subs. So say i hypothetically i keep the tuning the same and just go with a sub up port back how will that affect sound and volume. My goal isnt pure SPL but im not after SQ, just want to get loud and not sound like ass. If any more info is needed please ask. Thank you for your time.

Sub is an IA 187. I wasn't sure how low to go. I know ive been listening to alot of music where my sub will not hit the lows well at all. Also i plan on upgrading in the future to a different 15 and figured that would be a good box size for different subs. So say i hypothetically i keep the tuning the same and just go with a sub up port back how will that affect sound and volume. My goal isnt pure SPL but im not after SQ, just want to get loud and not sound like ass. If any more info is needed please ask. Thank you for your time.

If you listen to a lot of rap mainly, you could tune a bit higher. 33-35Hz would be a good range. The rule of thumb is never play more than 1 octave below your tuning frequency. (Tune to 34, don't play below 17)

EDIT: There is no way to really know how building one way vs another is going to change in your vehicle. If you've got an SUV I'd recommend sub up port back, and a trunk sub and port back.

It will be in a trunk. could i just keep the design the same but put the sub on top? That way if it sounds like shit i could just put the sub on the same side as port.

Also i will consider maybe tuning to 33-34hz. Will that slight change in tuning change the box sound noticably?

Sorry about the questions i just want to learn.