dbrown23

Cracked Nightshade Basket

I have a guy trying to sell me a nightshade 12 that the rim where the surround meets is cracked. I am just wondering could that be fixed and if so, howe much would it be. He said that it was supposedly damaged in shipping.

If it's just a small crack and NOTHING has shifted, you could probably throw some sort of epoxy on it. Worst case scenario is that you need a FULL recone from the magnet up.

i think people just totally replace the basket when that happens. IF it disturbs the functionality of the woofer. but this means a re-cone.

if that ends up being the case you should have him deduct the costs of the recone & basket. or something like that.

Edited by mbarber25

Got any pics of it? If its just a crack and not totally shattered I wouldn't recone it yet.

[/quote I will try to take one an up load it the basket isnt cracked its the rim.

gallery_11929_368_15799.jpg Here is the pic of the sub if you look a the top right corner you can see the rim is cracked in places.

looks pretty abused. but that's just my opinion. sure it's not blown too..?

Edited by mbarber25

Heard it play but I admit it does look ruff thats why I was wondering what a recone cost.

Heard it play but I admit it does look ruff thats why I was wondering what a recone cost.

ok good. i know looks aren't everything, for the most part ;) lol

but i'm not sure how much sundown charges for their recones, but my guess is probably around $100. give or take a little. somebody will chime in and correct me.

A recone will cost you at least $100+shipping.

Give him $65 as that's about what a used motor is worth.

So what all is included in the recone will that fix the rim of the sub as well?

I only see a couple cracks around the mounting lip. As long no spokes are busted then it's playable. Drill an extra mounting hole on each side of each crack and screw it down. It's not like you can mess the basket up any worse. The sub will play fine.

So what all is included in the recone will that fix the rim of the sub as well?

You'll have to pay a little extra for the basket to be replaced as well, if you go that route.

Derrick's way will work as well.

I only see a couple cracks around the mounting lip. As long no spokes are busted then it's playable. Drill an extra mounting hole on each side of each crack and screw it down. It's not like you can mess the basket up any worse. The sub will play fine.

Second that, as long as the coil hasn't been disturbed you should be okay.

Thanks appreciate the help, even if I had to do the recone it would be worth it.

hey a recone runs for 150-200 complete job and i suggest also doing what derrick recommended!