Sign in to follow this  
cougarballa2k5

D2 15 on 400 RMS??

Right now I've got an Ascendant Audio Atlas 15, and about 400 - 500RMS to play with. I am thinking of upgrading to the D2 later this year. My question is, on limited power, is the D2 still an upgrade?? The Atlas is no slouch down low and does pretty darn well off of 400 RMS, 18mm xmax.

The box I plan on using is going to be a 4.5 cubic foot ABC box tuned to 33hz.

The D2s are exceptional with low power. That's about what I will be running to mine if not less.

I tested the 12 with around 400, it was amazing

I actually will have around 600 RMS from an old school US2200 made by Zed Audio.

Box wise, 4.5 cubes is pretty good right?? I'm actually thinking of lowering my tuning to 30hz, since it is an ABC I don't need the extension help of a 33hz tuning.

I think it should be a fairly good output increase. I'm looking for something noticeable, like 2+dB on music across the frequency range. I see it as possible...especially since I've got 600 RMS instead of only 400. The atlas can't even take advantage of all 600.

-Alex

I used to have the 2200F, sweet amp, more power than stated

I think that is basically the amp I'm getting. Zed lists it as a USA2200, and the only 2200 listed on USAcoustic's website is the USA2200F (No longer in production)

How much is it rated for, and how much do you wager it was doing??

I'm getting a great deal on em both!

mine did just shy of 700 with a good current going to it, love that amp for clean well priced A/B sub power

When my Crossfire BMF100D decided it needed a new mosfet I ran my 15D2 off of two bridged channels of my VR404 (about 200 watts) and it did quite well, surprising actually. 400 watts would be fine with it, but I'm not sure how it would compare to an Atlas. I would assume just a tad better (not dissing on the atlas, i know it's a quality sub, I just think the D2 is a bit more sub).

I own a jl 500/1 amp, this would work well untill i could get 1200 wat rms into the 15 d2 right?

in my experience that will be plenty of power

I own a jl 500/1 amp, this would work well untill i could get 1200 wat rms into the 15 d2 right?

Perfectly fine.

Cool, im debating on what to get, i heard some MTX thunder 9500 12" today and they were nice...

they are, but I prefer the sound of the MAG, I tested the new one :fing34:

i'm curious about this as well as i have 2 atlas 15s tuned at 36hz with 3.13cubes each, wired to 1.333 ohm on my orion 1200d, will the mags be a lot more sub or just barely? i mean i don't want my gf to spend $1000 on subs to barely be able to tell the difference, lol

EDIT: i'll be able to feed the subs as much power as needed but must have looked over any wattage ratings on the website, anyone want to enlighten me?

i'm curious about this as well as i have 2 atlas 15s tuned at 36hz with 3.13cubes each, wired to 1.333 ohm on my orion 1200d,  will the mags be a lot more sub or just barely?  i mean i don't want my gf to spend $1000 on subs to barely be able to tell the difference, lol

EDIT: i'll be able to feed the subs as much power as needed but must have looked over any wattage ratings on the website, anyone want to enlighten me?

First off, she won't be spending $1K. Second, don't have any experience with the AAs, so cannot compare, nor any experience with the new Mags, but I know the previous versions worked so well with low power; the new ones should be even better.

Only problem with your amp is, the most power you will see out of it is 600watts. With the dual 2 ohm coils and a pair of drivers, you cannot get to the magic 1 ohm your amplifier needs for maximum power.

i wouldn't hesitate to strap another 1200d to it and push about 2400W@2 ohm though,

the AAs do great but i want something that makes it hard to breathe when i really crank them, of course i rarely really push them, but when i do, they should respond :-D

hey im gettin a 15 too, any idea where to get a box my trunk is pretty small i want a sealed box, and will a phoenix gold tantrum 1200.1 be too much power for a 15" mag? my last one melted or soemthing with that amp

make your own box, that way it'll fit

btw if you're limited on trunkspace, why go with a 15? what kind of car is it? whats your max height vs width vs depth?