Sign in to follow this  
antonmiller

Port AND subs firing up in SUV bad? comparison between port firing bac

yea buddy like we said next step is to find out where you peak, gotta turn that box of yours into a sealed box and figure it out. that place down in mankato may have a TL that we could use till i get mine. im going to look into it.

also we could move the subs around to find out where the best placement for the subs would be and try to optimize the design, this may take building a sealed box for one of the 15's you have...

sounds good. 1 problem though. That amp was my buddys and I just installed his system yesterday :(

umm.... i have an saz-3000 sitting aorund, we can use that. problem solved

Update:

Anton and I are geting on a termlab this upcoming week to test my jeep w/ a sealed and ported book to find my peak feq. This will aid/kick start my monster build :P

I also have a queston if anyone can help out plz.

Ok so, someone was telling me that when I add sound deadening in my truck it will lower my peak feq by a few Hz. Is this true?

Edited by 08 Jeep Grand Cherokee

It could go up, it could go down.

just do the math man, trust me, it gains volume. Subtract 14" from the width and max the depth out, WALA!

If u dont know how to gain match their amps, here's an easy way-

Hookup ALL 3 remote gain controllers and keep them plugged in for obvious reasons below-

turn the gains on all 3 amps up ALL THE WAY.

Keep the gain on the remote controls on all 3 amps all the way DOWN.

Now in sync, start by slowly turning up all 3 amp's remote gain knobs on a test tone until they all clip at the same time.

that's an easy way for you to gain match them close enough.

A dmm is cheap and safer alternative to gain matching by following the clip led.

OP : I've seen the setup implemented before in a Grand. IIRC it peaked low. He is going to fight against the odds if he wants big numbers together with a low tune. Try and implement some port inserts to be able to tune higher when needed

What year was that jeep. Each one is different. Even with the same year some will peak higher or lower then others. Just by 1 bad weld spot all the way to a lose bolt can change everything.

I think it was a 99-02 WJ so it's definately different from yours.

Sound deadener will definately change your loudest frew. Been there, done that. If you can you should try and get it done before you spend a couple of hours testing, otherwise it will be time wasted. Also be sure to refer to the rulebooks re: deadener.

Every SUV I've competed (XJ, ZJ, Trailblzer, Element) in a below the windowline install: Sub up port back was louder on the mic.

Last tip: See if you can adjust the tailgate latches to hold as tightly as possible ;)

Once you've got the install done (deadener, cabling & power storage, etc) spend as much time as you can afford in testing on the sensor. Moving the box a couple inches, or angling the portedges can gain you tenths or more, so it seems you two are on the right path.

Sound deadener will definately change your loudest frew. Been there, done that. If you can you should try and get it done before you spend a couple of hours testing, otherwise it will be time wasted. Also be sure to refer to the rulebooks re: deadener.

Every SUV I've competed (XJ, ZJ, Trailblzer, Element) in a below the windowline install: Sub up port back was louder on the mic.

Last tip: See if you can adjust the tailgate latches to hold as tightly as possible ;)

Once you've got the install done (deadener, cabling & power storage, etc) spend as much time as you can afford in testing on the sensor. Moving the box a couple inches, or angling the portedges can gain you tenths or more, so it seems you two are on the right path.

You can do that? How?

Also what kinda testing have u done with subs and port up?

Thanks for the tips. If you got more plz tell.

Some box modifying from subs up port back to subs and port up. Port is the same distance from the bottom of the box vs. as it was from the back wall (8inch's). Next, back wall clearance is the same vs. port clearance was from bottom of box. Last, the same distance apart from each other and centered like it was when porting back. So all thats changed is the port location.

photo0873j.jpg

photo0874.jpg

photo0875r.jpg

photo0877.jpg

photo0878l.jpg

ok, well from what i have done and seen...

port back is best.... BUT it takes up more airspace since the box can't be right against back wall so

sub up/port up correct volume is better than sub up/port back too small a box

And if you do sub up/port up, i have found it best to have wide port(s) and as close to back glass as you can get.

also make sure behind the area of your port you don't have any gaps, even though my box was all the way against my tailgate there was a bump on it about 3 inches from top and above that there was about a 1" gap all across-fixed it and gained .2-.3db

so we built the enclosure and all. just like this:

318btl33hz.jpg

this is the best pic i can find of the box fitting it into the car, its completely dont now and istalled into his jeep.

photo0299m.jpg

so initial results were amazing!it was tough to get the 3 subs to hit at the same rate since one was closer to the port compared to the other 2. and he used some weird way of running the rca's. we could use some suggestions on that if possible, he has 3 amps and we arent sure if you can get a 3 way splitter to connect the amps. so he did a 152.2 outlaw mic on dash legal position on a 35 hz tone. i think thats amazing. we didn't have enough time to adjust everything and try to get a higher score with a higher frequency. but i mean about 20 minutes after install hitting a 152.2 is just amazing(to me anyways). especially doing the port up subs up. i was shocked, he was extremely happy.

some more stats was one music he hit a 151.X (cant remember) at 32 hz outlaw. and legal sealed up he did a 151.x (cant remember) on a 35 hz tone. all these number were done with a term-lab. so, do you think its impressive at all? is that a good number for 3 18"s in a No wall application on 3 AQ3500's? let me know. i know it sucks i have no pics of anything. but we have a show on next Saturday so we will have plenty of vids and pics from it.

photo0325a.jpg

this was on music (a song that kept saying ricky bobby)

photo0323k.jpg

this was a 35 hz tone

photo0324e.jpg

a vid showing the whole install

him having fun at a local shop where the owner didnt want to stay in the car. lol

forgot to ask, but is this a good number for this type of system? 3 18" subs on 13 kwrms? its not tuned yet or anything. any tips or trick to get it louder?

no one has any tricks for getting louder in a jeep?

seems really loud !

I like the picture showing the 2 subs in the box, from the middle of the back windshield.

photo0325a.jpg

seems really loud !

I like the picture showing the 2 subs in the box, from the middle of the back windshield.

photo0325a.jpg

lol yea notice the headline consoul hanging there? haha that thing just wouldnt stay!

he said he adjusted the amps and got rid of some of the cancelation and he said by ear its louder... ill have to check that this weekend. and ill post any tips or tricks we find on getting louder in jeeps that we find.

In my Honda CRV sub and port up sounded louder and better than sub up port back.