ssh

sealed and ported?

So right now I have an alpine type-r 10" sub in a sealed box. Im planning on buying another alpine type-r, would it sound weird if i put it in a ported box?

Or should I just have it match the other sub in a sealed box?

So basically, 1 sealed & 1 ported vs 2 sealed

whats your input?

Thanks

Dont do 1 ported and 1 sealed. First try porting the one you have and if that isnt enough then buy the second and port or seal both of them but dont do one of each.

Dont do 1 ported and 1 sealed. First try porting the one you have and if that isnt enough then buy the second and port or seal both of them but dont do one of each.

I agree, because if not you will have weird imbalance with the sound as one driver will peak at a different time then the other and one will roll off much earlier then the other. Heck, the Type-R's should be ported anyway. ;)

alright thanks for the advice, now I just gotta port my boxes :D

Going to have to replace your current box, they require a significantly larger box ported than sealed.

Depending on your goals you might be better off selling the Type R and buying either one or two different subs. Maybe a new box would be enough as well. Not sure without knowing what you are trying to do.

I decided that Im going to leave the 10" sub in the sealed box.

When I need space I'll use the 10" sub and leave the rest of my jeep free.

When I don't need the extra space ill run a bigger enclosure with either 2 12's or a 15.

Then I can just switch boxes... Im looking into getting the Hifonics BXi 1210D amp

# RMS Power Output: 1 x 450 W @ 4 Ohms

# RMS Power Output: 1 x 900 W @ 2 Ohms

# RMS Power Output: 1 x 1200 W @ 1 Ohm

Now I just need to decide if I should get a 15" or 2 12"s...

thanks everyone for your input, always steering me into the right direction

why not just get one 15 and call it a day? 1 15 in a sealed box and run it at 1ohm off that amp or you could do a ported 12. We really need to know what your goals are. Since you have a type r i would assume SPL. Seeing as it is sealed then maybe you like SQ? Let us know and we can give you better recommendations

Edited by chrisommer

You could be like the high-quality craftsman on Craiglist who put a 12" and 15" Type R in the same ported box :lol:

That was a joke, of course ;) To be serious, how much space do you want to take up? Wranglers don't have a lot of trunk space if you want to put other stuff back there. Maybe find a 10" or 12" made for small, sealed boxes?

why not just get one 15 and call it a day? 1 15 in a sealed box and run it at 1ohm off that amp or you could do a ported 12. We really need to know what your goals are. Since you have a type r i would assume SPL. Seeing as it is sealed then maybe you like SQ? Let us know and we can give you better recommendations

If you notice an "SQ difference" between sealed and ported, you did something wrong with the ported box...

You could be like the high-quality craftsman on Craiglist who put a 12" and 15" Type R in the same ported box :lol:

That was a joke, of course ;) To be serious, how much space do you want to take up? Wranglers don't have a lot of trunk space if you want to put other stuff back there. Maybe find a 10" or 12" made for small, sealed boxes?

If you notice an "SQ difference" between sealed and ported, you did something wrong with the ported box...

The box I had my 10 type R was ported and made solely to to get "loud" and had no SQ at all. That being said I do know that you can build a ported box for SQ. Most people I know with a sealed box either built it because they were shooting for SQ or they just bought a prefab box for the sub and the sealed box happened to be cheaper.

I have a fair amount of space:

between fenderwell and rear seat = 17" (width)

between rear of driver seat and tailgate = 38" (length)

height = anything under 17" would be good. (depth)

volume: 6.35 cubic ft.

The subs will have to point either up or to the side of the vehicle.

Im going for spl. Im looking at the hifonics atlas 12" subs (ATL12D4 12" DVC 4 Ω 1200 W MAXX 600 W RMS)

Im trying to spend under $300 for the subs.

How would those hifonic 12"s compare to a single 15" SSA ICON 15D1/D2 http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/15%22-SSA-ICON-15D1%7B47%7DD2.html#

Edited by stefanhinote

Im going for spl. Im looking at the hifonics atlas 12" subs (ATL12D4 12" DVC 4 Ω 1200 W MAXX 600 W RMS)

How would those hifonic 12"s compare to a single 15" SSA ICON 15D1/D2 SSA STORE

No, stop it. Icon owns those all day.

Your going for SPL? Your looking at the wrong drivers then. That is not what the ICON or the Atlas are made for.

Your going for SPL? Your looking at the wrong drivers then. That is not what the ICON or the Atlas are made for.

X2

Look at the Fi bl, Sundown subs,...the choice is yours !

The box I had my 10 type R was ported and made solely to to get "loud" and had no SQ at all. That being said I do know that you can build a ported box for SQ. Most people I know with a sealed box either built it because they were shooting for SQ or they just bought a prefab box for the sub and the sealed box happened to be cheaper.

Generally speaking...

Small ported boxes + "high tune" = peaky, loud

Big ported boxes + "low tune" = Smooth response

99% of prefab ported boxes are too small or tuned too high for "Teh EssQue" :lol:

"We" build sealed boxes for many reasons...airspace is airspace (box goes anywhere), smaller space taken up, costs less, lighter weight, etc. OH...and you can't mess up a sealed box unless it's very leaky :D

I'm moving from "small sealed" to "small-ish ported" so it's different strokes and all that ;)

How would those hifonic 12"s compare to a single 15" SSA ICON 15D1/D2 SSA STORE

Well...I'll let the experts take over, then :D Good luck :)