faaaaq

Fi versus Kicker (i know which is better :P)

What do you think of Kicker?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Kicker subs in general?

• Crap. Total crap
    • OK for entry level systems or low budget setups
    • Amazing---for the price
    • Absolutely awesome. Not the best, but amazing nonetheless
    • Incredible. None better.

Alright, so my buddy has two Kicker CVRs in a 4.5cubic foot ported enclosure tuned to 38hz (a little high, yeah, but it still sounds alright), getting 500watts RMS each. Would upgrading to a Fi woofer increase SPL and/or SQ in a noticeable manner, considering they will still be getting 500watts each, 1000watts total, and would be in the same enclosure as the CVRs are now (at least temporarily)? If so, what would be the best sub? In not a noob so no need to baby me, but im not an expert either so go easy xP

Not really a comparison at all to be honest with you, the SSD's may be your best bet but they are being upgraded at the moment.

Not really a comparison at all to be honest with you, the SSD's may be your best bet but they are being upgraded at the moment.

i know Kickers cant compete with Fi, but I do not know if switching to a Fi sub while keeping the same power and box would make a noticeable difference or not. In my car i will be stuffing the biggest BTL i can into my Fiero because i know they get insane loud and also have acceptable sound quality, but as far as i direct comparison to CVRs at 500watts in the same box, i have no idea. Im not new to car audio, but i am new to higher end brands such as Fi

buy the new subs and let us know ;)

The SSD's would most likely choke in that enclosure, making them sound like poo. In a better enclosure actually made for the SSD's they would most likely be louder.

You want to stuff a BTL into a Pontiac Fiero? I wish you luck.

The SSD's would most likely choke in that enclosure, making them sound like poo. In a better enclosure actually made for the SSD's they would most likely be louder.

really? the 12 inch SSDs need more than 2.25 cubes a piece?

also, lol at the poll results, but id appreciate honest answers :P

You want to stuff a BTL into a Pontiac Fiero? I wish you luck.

i know it will fit, im just worried on how much it will cost to MAKE it fit. Ill for sure post a thread detailing the build once i do it tho, should be an interesting little story lol

It's the tuning and port area that worries me. 2.50 cubes would be better actually.

It's the tuning and port area that worries me. 2.50 cubes would be better actually.

Well ill trust you that 2.25 is too small for them. Based on the spec page, the BTL and BL models would work in his enclosure, airspace-wise at least. If i remember correctly, that is. But based on the replies to my question, Im guessing that i remember incorrectly, or the port and tuning make them not the best idea?

What is the port area and tuning of the current enclosure?

What is the port area and tuning of the current enclosure?

I'm unsure of the port area atm, but it is tuned to 38hz. Its high I know, but with the kickers, my friend is happy with how its tuned. I will post back in a moment with the port area.

Edit. Cannot find what the port area is. It looks quite large tho. A bad estimate would be 8 or 10inches in diameter, and maybe 20 inches long? Its hard to estimate without being able to see it atm

Edited by faaaaq

2.25 if fine for them but the tuning is kinda high. SSDs play louder down low vs kicker which will be louder up top.

Well it seems I've gotten the best answer anyone can really provide :/. So, just one final quick question. Would one Fi Q (any size) run off 1000watts rms be louder than the two CVRs? Or any other Fi woofers for that matter? Can be any woofer any size, but needs to be noticeably louder at 1000watts (in a custom built box, tuned at 32 maybe?)

Well it seems I've gotten the best answer anyone can really provide :/. So, just one final quick question. Would one Fi Q (any size) run off 1000watts rms be louder than the two CVRs? Or any other Fi woofers for that matter? Can be any woofer any size, but needs to be noticeably louder at 1000watts (in a custom built box, tuned at 32 maybe?)

The Q's can get loud, in my opinion. But if you're shopping for "loud" go to the BL line.

As far as 'which is louder'...who knows?

The Q's can get loud, in my opinion. But if you're shopping for "loud" go to the BL line.

I'm sure someone knows if the Fi are louder than the crvs in the situation I've describe

i know you arent a newbie, but these are newbie questions. especially when you bring up kickers brand like that. and FYI i think that the BTL is Fis most efficient sub. so that will get the loudest off a 1000watts.

I'm sure someone knows if the Fi are louder than the crvs in the situation I've describe

this info might help you. id take fi ssds over cvrs any day of my life.

i know you arent a newbie, but these are newbie questions. especially when you bring up kickers brand like that. and FYI i think that the BTL is Fis most efficient sub. so that will get the loudest off a 1000watts.

I don't understand why bringing up kicker is noobish, but ill ttry to avoid it in future threads

Kicker is OK.. If OK is okay then, well.. okay :shrug: BUT Fi is good/great and will make a difference, but will it be worth the cash? - If his pockets are on swoll then do ittttt! :santa::drink40::woot:

Kicker is OK.. If OK is okay then, well.. okay :shrug: BUT Fi is good/great and will make a difference, but will it be worth the cash? - If his pockets are on swoll then do ittttt! :santa::drink40::woot:

Fi isn't really too expensive. The box will cost more to have built the the Fi sub :P

Lets see, I beat 2 12 CVRs in a ported box by 6 dBs, I beat 2 15 CVRs in a sealed box in an extended cab by .8 dB while my 2 10 SSDs were in a trunk. Its more about installs and box than anything. However, I would choose Fi over Kicker anyday.

Lets see, I beat 2 12 CVRs in a ported box by 6 dBs, I beat 2 15 CVRs in a sealed box in an extended cab by .8 dB while my 2 10 SSDs were in a trunk. Its more about installs and box than anything. However, I would choose Fi over Kicker anyday.

What were you tuned at and how many watts to each speaker?

44hz but I also had a tuning of 34hz and I would have been about 1 dB under the two 15s in the extended cab. I hate extended cabs as well as CRXs hehe. O and I would say about 1300-1800 watts to both SSDs.

I don't understand why bringing up kicker is noobish, but ill ttry to avoid it in future threads

he was talking about you bringing up a "which sub is louder" question, not just about the brand