wof131s

12" or 15" DP?

I know that this post maybe useless to some ppl, and I may not even get a single response but here goes. I am planning to purchase either a single 12" or 15" IA Death Penalty for my application. It will be going into a 2000 dokota ext.cab and am running the AQ2200 in either a 2.5 cb.ft net for the 12" or 3.75 cb.ft net for the 15". I was woundering which would play the low end with more authority. The reason for my asking is for a 15" enclosure, the enclosure will take up most all of the cab space under the glass (no wall). I believe that with so much room taken up, it would give the sound less surfaces to bounce of giving a more boomy sound than low end. Whereas with a 12", the enclosure will be smaller which gives more surfaces for the sound to bounce off giving a more quality low end sound. Am I correct in my thinking? If not, then can someone let me know how it works? Any input is welcome.

Thanks

I am confused about what you are saying with the surfaces and what it has to do with low end sound. But in a proper enclosure, the 12" model will produce the same frequencies as the 15", just with less cone surface. As for output, that is all dependent on the install/enclosure.

Ok let say that we take two of the exact same subs and place them in the exact same enclosure tuned the same. Place one in an SUV and one in an ext. cab truck. The setup in the SUV seems to yeild more output with low end extension verses the setup in the ext. cab truck which sound more boomy. Now lets just work with with a smaller space, the truck. Since the 15" enclosure takes up most of the ext. cab part of the cab taking up a lot of space, while the 12" will take up about 1.25 cu.ft less, will this yelid more low end bass to the ear with the 12" having more space to work with in the cab? Am just throwing this out there. I just want to make the right chose in the size woofer I purchase.

Thanks

Edited by wof131s

I don't think that's a concern. I'm a little confused too. Build the enclosure larger and tune lower for better low end. But what do you mean by "low end?"

The 15" should be louder in theory, by the way.

Ok let say that we take two of the exact same subs and place them in the exact same enclosure tuned the same. Place one in an SUV and one in an ext. cab truck. The setup in the SUV seems to yeild more output with low end extension verses the setup in the ext. cab truck which sound more boomy. Now lets just work with with a smaller space, the truck. Since the 15" enclosure takes up most of the ext. cab part of the cab taking up a lot of space, while the 12" will take up about 1.25 cu.ft less, will this yelid more low end bass to the ear with the 12" having more space to work with in the cab? Am just throwing this out there. I just want to make the right chose in the size woofer I purchase.

Thanks

Are your talking about resonant frequency of the vehicle? As in larger vehicles tend to have lower res. freq.?

12" DP, is that 6" x2? *couldn't help it*

Low frequency capability has nothing to do with woofer size. Both drivers will require that you adjust their box for your vehicle, so neither is a win in that regard.

I know that this post maybe useless to some ppl, and I may not even get a single response but here goes. I am planning to purchase either a single 12" or 15" IA Death Penalty for my application. It will be going into a 2000 dokota ext.cab and am running the AQ2200 in either a 2.5 cb.ft net for the 12" or 3.75 cb.ft net for the 15". I was woundering which would play the low end with more authority. The reason for my asking is for a 15" enclosure, the enclosure will take up most all of the cab space under the glass (no wall). I believe that with so much room taken up, it would give the sound less surfaces to bounce of giving a more boomy sound than low end. Whereas with a 12", the enclosure will be smaller which gives more surfaces for the sound to bounce off giving a more quality low end sound. Am I correct in my thinking? If not, then can someone let me know how it works? Any input is welcome.

Thanks

The one in its optimal/recommended box will play the lows with more authority, if the 15" is in its ideal enclosure it should probably play the lows better since the cone area will give it that extra output. So that should answer your question.

Thanks

Are your talking about resonant frequency of the vehicle? As in larger vehicles tend to have lower res. freq.?

YES. Thanks man i couldnt get my words right for shit. Now in a truck like mines (2000ext. cab dakota), how do i know which woofer at what frequency will perform better?

Edited by wof131s

The woofer has nothing to do with your vehicles resonant frequency, that will take lots of testing with a simple sealed box playing lots of tones to find out where your vehicle peaks at. Check under the SPL thread for topics on this issue, many have been made already. To find out what woofer will perform better at a certain frequency will take you buying both of them and lots of testing, nobody can tell you that.

I think I understand what you're saying. ;)

You can get the 12" and put it in the best & bigger box you can afford in your car. That will leave room for amps, batts,..., and groceries !!!

I don't know your car, but if you can fit the 15" in with a right box, and still have room for amps...go for the 15" !!!

The bigger, the better !

That's just my 2cents !peepwall.gif

Yea, am going to go with the 15" DP in a 3.9 cu.ft enclosure tuned to 32 Hz with extra bracing. I wanted to tune it lower around 28~30 Hz but this should work. Hopefully I get what am looking for, if not ill try something else i.e another enclosure.

Thnaks for all the help guys