Frostedflakejake

Bass Shakers

Wasn't entirely sure on what section to stick this one in...

So i've seen a few companies that make these "bass shakers" (mostly Aurasound.) I was wondering if anyone had any expereince with any bass shaker. I am by no means interested in buying one, just more or less curious about placement and effectiveness. If you ask me, they kind of sound like a stupid idea... but what do i know. They kinda look fun to play around with... :santa: but not for how much they cost....

and do they shake different for different frequencies or....? it's all confusing to me.

thanks!

Edited by Frostedflakejake

I use them in our Haunt. They work good for what we use them for. Different frequencies = different vibration rates.

My friend has them attached under his couch and chairs for his home theater room. They vibrate your ass pretty good. Hard to tell how much because he has a pretty powerful sub too but its a very nice set up either way. Very intense.

does it add the movie watching experience? or does it just seem.... odd that your ass is vibrating that much?

Chicks dig them

heheheh. That's kinda what i was thinking. they seem more like a showoff item. It seemed like something that would get annoying after a while..

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call them a stupid idea. They operate on the principle that our perception of low frequencies is based as much on tactile sensation (the feeling of vibration/etc in your body) as it is through actually hearing the sound. This is especially true of sound at the very bottom of the audible spectrum and those below the audible spectrum. Below ~20hz you don't even hear the sound, it's all tactile sensation down there. While not a whole lot of music goes this low unless you drive around listening to classical orchestra music, special effects in movies can have a lot of action down there. Reproducing low frequencies at realistic levels in a home or theater can be challenging, especially on a budget and without dedicating a lot of space to a subwoofer system. With a tactile transducer like the Bass Shaker, you can obtain the sensation of low frequency reproduction without requiring a significant and powerful subwoofer system.

So while they aren't really necessary for car audio, they can serve a useful purpose in other genres of audio reproduction. How "realistic" they feel would probably be an individual opinion.....but I suppose at the very worst, having an unrealistic representation isn't as bad as none at all.

ding ding ding. OP, it may not be of your purpose but it does serve a purpose greatly elsewhere.