PhishHead

Sound Deadener

This has probably gone over HUNDREDS of times but the search function didnt give me the results I was looking for. From what I have read sound deadening will make you lose spl? Well I like my sub being loud but I hate the rattle from my trunk. What is the best way to apply Second Skin (Seemed to be the best) without losing the loud boom that I am going for? Any help would be appreciated. Sorry to those I anger with this post.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Also....Has anyone ever tried Spectrum? Seems easy enough.....

Edited by PhishHead

Don't use Second skin, buy from Don at SDS. (link in my sig)

Better bang for the buck, in particular when advice is included.

Rattles are different than deadening. Deadening only takes panel resonances out. If you have rattles you have to find them first. Usually some CCF in between the surfaces that are rubbing will solve those issues.

And yes, it is very possible deadener will reduce your score...although it might improve it, depends on a lot of factors. Using CCF to kill the rattles won't hurt your score at all though.

So most likely between the skeleton of the trunk and the actual trunk itself?

Probably a loose latch and everything that can touch rubbing. Get out and push on it and see if you can limit it. Then feel for anything loose on the inside. If you can't isolate it, I'd bet the mating surfaces rub too.

Thanks for the help. I will see what is rattling and look on the web to buy some. Thanks.

Don is an awesome guy as well. He advised me NOT to buy his product based on the goals I was trying to achieve. Ie, increase spl as much as possible to the ear and meter.

Not every business man will tell you what you need to hear, instead of what you want to hear. :drink40:

I've used SDS tiles from Don in my current build and his advice and product are top notch :drink40: . As M5 has already mentioned, it's taking Don's advice and doing a little first hand testing. I'm doing mine in phases with the CCF and MLV, along with covering the holes on the inner skin of the doors.

I have ordered from SDS and Don was very prompt and helpful. The CILD Tiles work great for eliminating irritating panel resonance. I also used the Butyl Rope to seal around my front speaker baffles in my doors and the around the lip of the door panel itself to help seal the door panel. The Butyl Rope has a lot useful value for all kinds of irritating buzz' and rattles. Stick with SDS and you will not be disappointed.

To get rid of the rattling and give the trunk lid a more solid structure I used expanding foam, a cheap option that works. I will be also talking to Don in the future for his products in my trunk but still did the foam option first.

RUDY! RUDY! RUDY!.......ummm, or DON! DON! DON!....lol :drink40:

Damn. Do I have to sit here and take this? biggrin.gif

I think it's time for you to get your own sub forum on here Don! trink40.gif

Damn. Do I have to sit here and take this? biggrin.gif

LOL There he is...

I think it's time for you to get your own sub forum on here Don! trink40.gif

Yeah, many of us would like that but not.... well you know who.