Dan208

Need some advice for summer project.

My birthday is in July and I'm trying to decide what to do with the money I get (yes, I'm 30 years old and still get money :) ). I do know that I want to upgrade sub/subs, but I'm not quite sure which way to go.

Budget will be between $200-$250. Not sure if I could swing $300, but it's a possibility. I've got 600 @ 2 ohms to work with. The main thing is I'd like to keep the box size down as much as possible. I don't want to go over 2 cubes total, and even that's pushing it.

So, I'm thinking either 2 8's or 10's in a small sealed box, or a single 10" or 12" ported. I'd love to try a 15" since I've never run one before, but I don't want to choke it down into too small of a box. I'm not looking to compete, and I'm not out to impress anyone except myself. I just want a good sounding, decently loud daily driver. I'm mainly looking at Sundown, IA and SSA.

Two Dcons in a sealed enclosure might do you fine. :drink40:

That was the original plan. Or two Sundown 8's. I wasn't sure how two sealed subs would compare to a single ported.

2 DCON 10" sealed or 1 DCON 12" Ported! What kind of vehicle?

2008 Saturn Vue. It's the family vehicle, so I can't take up the whole back. :(

2008 Saturn Vue. It's the family vehicle, so I can't take up the whole back. sad.gif

I did 1 ported 10" DCON on 500 watts and it was very impressive. Check out my build log and review under the SSA section.

With the information given so far, the option mentioned I like the best is the single Dcon 12 ported, @ 4 ohm mono. If not the pair of 10's will still be awesome. :)

Thanks guys. With all the reading I've been doing today I'm really leaning towards either a single 10" or 12" Icon. Seems like it might be the best option for keeping my box size down but still being able to get loud.

I have a single 10" Icon in a ported box and it sounds great, i am also pushing it with a sundown 125.2, so roughly 400WRMS. The 12" would be a great option too, to add just a little bit more bass. Good luck with the choices, either one will be great!!

I don't know, the Dcons still have my interest. I've got a couple of questions for Denim, or anyone else with Dcon experience.

1) How much does running them sealed affect the low end? Will they still get pretty low in a sealed box?

2) Is there going to be a major difference between running them at their optimal sealed enclosure size vs the minimum?

With the information given so far, the option mentioned I like the best is the single Dcon 12 ported, @ 4 ohm mono

The only thing about that is I won't be using my amp's full potential. Not that it is necessarily a bad thing, I'd just like to use all of it, so to speak. :shrug:

I don't know, the Dcons still have my interest. I've got a couple of questions for Denim, or anyone else with Dcon experience.

1) How much does running them sealed affect the low end? Will they still get pretty low in a sealed box?

2) Is there going to be a major difference between running them at their optimal sealed enclosure size vs the minimum?

With the information given so far, the option mentioned I like the best is the single Dcon 12 ported, @ 4 ohm mono

The only thing about that is I won't be using my amp's full potential. Not that it is necessarily a bad thing, I'd just like to use all of it, so to speak. shrug.gif

Actually with the sealed box the low end will roll off slower and will not affect the low end at all. Ported will be louder over the sealed. How much? That is hard to say.

Running a subwoofer in it's optimum enclosure specs will yield very little difference. If anything the low end will be sacrificed in a smaller sealed box.

Ported will be louder from about 30-45 hz.

In the minimum sealed enclosure the subs will start to roll off at a higher frequency. Since you have the extra power you may be able to compensate for it if you have an EQ to go along with it.

Since you have the extra power you may be able to compensate for it if you have an EQ to go along with it.

No EQ. Just a bass knob.

Actually with the sealed box the low end will roll off slower and will not affect the low end at all.
In the minimum sealed enclosure the subs will start to roll off at a higher frequency.

Ok, really dumb question. Could someone explain the "rolling off" thing to me? I read about it all the time, but don't understand what it means.

Frequency response begins to lower. In other words, it becomes quieter. In a sealed enclosure you'll hear about an F3 point, that's where the frequency response is 3 decibels down from the reference level. Most sealed boxes have the F3 somewhere in the 40s. So the response will probably be flat from 55 hz and up, then start its roll off and become -3db at, say, 45 hz. Then it will be -6db at maybe 37 hz, -12 db at 22 hz, etc. It's a curve downwards.

Ported boxes do the same right below tuning but with a much steeper curve. They are usually -3db only 2-3 hz below tuning, and -12 db only 5-6 hz below.