nefariouscaine

fi q vs sundown z15 or ? Port type suggestions also...

ok. I've been eyeing all kinds of tc varients, the q, the z15 and a bunch of others. Kinda think i've narrowed it down to the q or the z15. Mach5 was around in the top 3 but don't think i can get a 15 from them right now. Have also been looking at ssa dcon.

Looking at powering the sub with an arc 2500 xxk on a 4ohm load in the area of 1000w rms. Box isn't built so i don't have anything to work around there except for size limits. Wanting to work within the 36x20x20 inch box size to conserve trunk space. Going ported and thinking of going either slot ported, maybe aero ports, or a transmission line (not saying i know much but know very little about those differences in performance).

Sub is going to be for daily use and will see hours of play a day at relatively high volume with a variety of music from bass intense techno, hip hop, classic rock, metal and jazz.

I'm keeping budget around 250 for the single driver and will be buying used if possible to keep costs down below that. Have no personal brand pref at this time. So long as no one suggests funky pups i'll be ok with getting yelled at. Didn't search as my browser isn't acting right so i can't click that button. Was debating on sub size before but think a single 15 will hit lower notes with more accuracy and presence than a single 12 will or tri 8's or dual 10's. Plus there is the added costs to the additional drivers. /rant

Now tell me what sub to buy outta those ones (dcon, fi q, mach5, sundown), what port type to use or if i'm way off base and need something else totally.

Cross off the Q and either look at the X, SSD or BL when looking at Fi! The Q is a "SQ" driver and the others are made for getting loud and daily ground pounding while still sounding good.

Cross off the Q and either look at the X, SSD or BL when looking at Fi! The Q is a "SQ" driver and the others are made for getting loud and daily ground pounding while still sounding good.

I'm guessing i'm not getting the meaning of something here. I can understand if the q isn't meant for daily pounding but i want tight accurate response and not a decent sounding spl driver that can take a daily pounding. I want an sq sub that can take a daily pounding while getting loud.

Personally the only thing remotely close to sq i've used is a type x and its not exactly that either.

At least tell me why i shouldn't look at an sq sub. I don't play my bass over powering and level it to match the overall sound with everything loud.. Granted the bass intense techno can get pretty stupid with the amount of bass.

In your first post you talked about how the sub would be seeing high volumes, which usually sends up a red flag for the SQ people... I guess someone like M5 would have to step in and clarify, but as far as I understand, SQ and high volume do not go hand in hand. I think that the afore mentioned BL would be a good choice and the SSD would be fine if you want to save some money.

Don't get me wrong the "Q" is a great woofer, it's just not designed to be played at high volumes or generate high spl. The SSD or BL is better suited for your application. Both can be played at high volumes, get very loud and still sound good.

Another option you may want to look into is the SSA XCON or ICON.

Icon and Q are in the same league : great sq, but great output too. It seems to be what you need, but the "high volume" point makes people think about the bl or other loud drivers for you !

It will be difficult to find a used Xcon, but that would be your best choice IMO. Xcon = best of both world !!! :)

looking at the icon and xcon more now. As well as the ss rlp. Haven't ruled out the q totally and just when i was thinking i'd just buy one of the close out z15's they'd already been sold out. I sleep on deals i should jump on...

Looking at powering the sub with an arc 2500 xxk on a 4ohm load in the area of 1000w rms.

Don't waste your budget that way. There is NO benefit at all at running your subs at 4ohms. Spend the money on a smaller amp if 1kW is what you need.

Wanting to work within the 36x20x20 inch box size to conserve trunk space. Going ported and thinking of going either slot ported, maybe aero ports, or a transmission line (not saying i know much but know very little about those differences in performance).

Thank you for at least posting box size. Many options can fit in <6cuft. You sound like a ported user so far IMO. Transmission Lines are completely useless in a car and do not fit at all with your "conserve trunk space". Anyone who designs one for you that fits in the space you have has absolutely NO idea what they are doing.

Sub is going to be for daily use and will see hours of play a day at relatively high volume with a variety of music from bass intense techno, hip hop, classic rock, metal and jazz.

Hard to pick a sub based on those parameters. You are leaning towards SQ spectrum, but I really don't think that is necessary or logical in your install. If it were you would be talking WAY more about the front stage than whatever you put in for subs as it is WAY, WAY, WAY harder to get them to a "relatively high volume" than the sub. My bet is you would be happier with more output and should be looking not at all at the Q, but towards something with more output. I'd also suggest thinking about switching your budget as you are wasting a ton of it on that amp. You could do a lot more if that weren't in your constraints.

looking at the icon and xcon more now. As well as the ss rlp. Haven't ruled out the q totally and just when i was thinking i'd just buy one of the close out z15's they'd already been sold out. I sleep on deals i should jump on...

I don't really know all of your goals, but I bet the bold fits them. We can verify if you share some more information.

I don't know why people say don't do the Q its for sound quality and not loud, but turn around and recommend the icon. The two drivers are quite on par with each other, if you're not recommending the Q, there is no reason you should recommend the icon. /rant

The bl will sound great, as will a Z or many other subs, they may not be a "sq" driver, but i'm guessing you care more about something that will sound great and get loud doing it then sq itself. You may not even like the way sq sounds. It doesn't have to be "sq" to sound good.

Edited by ScreamBloodyGorguts

I don't know why people say don't do the Q its for sound quality and not loud, but turn around and recommend the icon. The two drivers are quite on par with each other, if you're not recommending the Q, there is no reason you should recommend the icon. /rant

The bl will sound great, as will a Z or many other subs, they may not be a "sq" driver, but i'm guessing you care more about something that will sound great and get loud doing it then sq itself. You may not even like the way sq sounds. It doesn't have to be "sq" to sound good.

I think that is exactly is what has been said in the thread-- that they are similar in the needs they fill.

Your second sentence is exactly dead nuts on. A BL is capable of sounding better than what 99% of people who ask for an SQL sub or a loud SQ even think a sub can sound like. And I would also agree that these same people would HATE the way a real SQ sub sounded.

Looking at powering the sub with an arc 2500 xxk on a 4ohm load in the area of 1000w rms.

Don't waste your budget that way. There is NO benefit at all at running your subs at 4ohms. Spend the money on a smaller amp if 1kW is what you need.

Wanting to work within the 36x20x20 inch box size to conserve trunk space. Going ported and thinking of going either slot ported, maybe aero ports, or a transmission line (not saying i know much but know very little about those differences in performance).

Thank you for at least posting box size. Many options can fit in <6cuft. You sound like a ported user so far IMO. Transmission Lines are completely useless in a car and do not fit at all with your "conserve trunk space". Anyone who designs one for you that fits in the space you have has absolutely NO idea what they are doing.

Hard to pick a sub based on those parameters. You are leaning towards SQ spectrum, but I really don't think that is necessary or logical in your install. If it were you would be talking WAY more about the front stage than whatever you put in for subs as it is WAY, WAY, WAY harder to get them to a "relatively high volume" than the sub. My bet is you would be happier with more output and should be looking not at all at the Q, but towards something with more output. I'd also suggest thinking about switching your budget as you are wasting a ton of it on that amp. You could do a lot more if that weren't in your constraints.

i've already bought the 2500xxk and the "matching" 4150xxk for powering the front cdt cox622's and the yet to be installed kappa 692.9i's that are going in the rear deck - budget on those 2 amps is a non issue (got them cheap imo) and i currently do still have the ap1500 to play with (just reinstalled it an hour ago)

I personally have a dislike for sealed boxes that honestly not totally warranted - nightmares of people pressing in on the cone to see how it moves... - you're right i'm a ported guy (still wanting port type recommendations)

i think i'm starting to see why people are totally against my SQ sub thoughts as while i might not be going for pure SPL, i can see how i'm likely further from SQ in my main objective (the comment about something sounding good not being SQ kinda made alot of sense)

currently looking more at the XCON / Fi BL or SSD / still the Z15 / Soundsplinter RL-p / or maybe a custom sub but i'm iffy on that due to lack of proper spec information & ability to build a well tuned box

Well, I will vouch for the Q. I have an 18" ported and it gets real loud. You can check my vids and see for yourself. SQ is alright, but not the best. I'm sure it has to do with my box though. But yea, I don't see why you shouldn't look at the Q. It definitely can get loud and low. Out of all of those you said you are looking at, I would choose the Xcon. Those things look awesome. Only problem with it is its rated for nearly double what the Q is.