danometal

Good 15 inch subs for sealed

Hello.

I really have a thing for sealed subwoofer setups, mainly for how well it produces all the details of drums. I understand how going sealed sacrifices output, so I was considering dual 15s sealed in the trunk of my Saturn, so as to attempt to have extra output with sealed SQ.

I have around 5 cubes space available, and a Rockford p1000-1bd (I want to run it at 2 ohms @ 500 RMS).

Any suggestions for a good pair of 15s of this criteria?

Peace.

Okay, other then 15s sealed and power available, can you give us some more info like budget?

x2 on the budget! A lot of options in the SSA store as well as great box build plans!

Okay, other then 15s sealed and power available, can you give us some more info like budget?

Hello Denim. I've been a silent onlooker for a while on many different forum sites, and I've seen you being famously respectful and helpful on all of them. :)

Anyway, for lower power subs, I'd say no more than $200 each, lest I waste my budget, whereas otherwise, I could upgrade power instead. I've been looking at JBL GT0 15s on sonicelectronix, but nobody has reviewed them.

x2 on the budget! A lot of options in the SSA store as well as great box build plans!

Yea, definitely some cool stuff in the SSA store!! I would love some Icons, but I don't have 2k power, nor electrical to support it. I am going to do the big 3 anyway.

BTW, I'm willing to be talked into going ported depending on some questions I may have about response.

Peace.

Another choice if your worried about amplifier power is the DCON series from SSA. An amazing sounding subwoofer either ported or sealed. Check them out they won't break the bank and are very versatile.

Another choice if your worried about amplifier power is the DCON series from SSA. An amazing sounding subwoofer either ported or sealed. Check them out they won't break the bank and are very versatile.

I was actually just looking at them in the SSA store!! An American sub is hard to find lately. I was at a local audio shop recently learning about DD 1500 series subs. The shop owner stressed DD's recommended 40 hz tuning. I wasn't really crazy about the implications of that.

My system goals are transient response, punch, AND low, low end. This is why I was thinking large sealed box.

How do the Dcons do in say... 1.5 cubes sealed each after displacement? The price is right, and they look GREAT.

I was actually just looking at them in the SSA store!! An American sub is hard to find lately. I was at a local audio shop recently learning about DD 1500 series subs. The shop owner stressed DD's recommended 40 hz tuning. I wasn't really crazy about the implications of that.

My system goals are transient response, punch, AND low, low end. This is why I was thinking large sealed box.

How do the Dcons do in say... 1.5 cubes sealed each after displacement? The price is right, and they look GREAT.

After re-reading your topic I see your looking for a 15". DCON does not come in a 15".

Read my review on my 10 DCON .... OldSkool_08 DCON Build Log and Review - SSA Car Audio Forum

After re-reading your topic I see your looking for a 15". DCON does not come in a 15".

Read my review on my 10 DCON .... OldSkool_08 DCON Build Log and Review - SSA Car Audio Forum

Sweet review, man!! If you were impressed with a single 10, maybe 2 Dcon 12s might meet my goals. I would have room to port them since there's no 15 inch offerings. I would love some advice as to how to tune them to get both low end and punch. I listen to a lot of metal, and I don't want fast drumming to get muddy. Also, I got a thing for suoper low bass music from the 90s. lol

Take a look at the box plans for the DCONS. I mainly like to port my enclosures in the 30-35HZ range, sounds the best to me. I too listen to Metal, 35 hz tuning seems to capture that double bass impact I like. It also depends on your crossover setting as well. 2 DCONS ported would be very impressive.

Take a look at the box plans for the DCONS. I mainly like to port my enclosures in the 30-35HZ range, sounds the best to me. I too listen to Metal, 35 hz tuning seems to capture that double bass impact I like. It also depends on your crossover setting as well. 2 DCONS ported would be very impressive.

I'm just about sold on this... like an hour after inquiring about sealed 15s!!

A couple important questions concerning them:

1). Is the "box plans" the recommended tuning and volume on the Dcon's description in the SSA store?

2). My Rockford amp has a fixed SSF @ 28 hz. What tuning would work well with that, or do I even need it?

3). Can they play below tuning at all like the DDs can?

4). Is your recommended 35 hz the lowest optimal tuning whereas low end extension and transient attack are both realized?

Whatever the case, I think 2 of those would love 500 watts RMS (birthsheet actually says 891 RMS, but of course that's at 14.4 V right at clipping, all at some particular frequency). We'll say 600 watts daily.

1). Is the "box plans" the recommended tuning and volume on the Dcon's description in the SSA store?

2). My Rockford amp has a fixed SSF @ 28 hz. What tuning would work well with that, or do I even need it?

4). Is your recommended 35 hz the lowest optimal tuning whereas low end extension and transient attack are both realized?

Whatever the case, I think 2 of those would love 500 watts RMS (birthsheet actually says 891 RMS, but of course that's at 14.4 V right at clipping, all at some particular frequency). We'll say 600 watts daily.

The Box plans are designed by JBLCamry here on the forum and are what SSA recommends.

Your SSF filter should be fine. Absolutely use it.

Most subwoofers are able to play below tuning. Just be careful with the volume knob and do not use any bass boost.

I would not go any higher than 35hz with the DCON and not any lower than 28hz. As far as my recommendation I like the 35hz tuning because I feel I get the bost of both low loud rap style bass and the tighter faster transient attack of rock and metal.

Your amp should power a pair of DCONS just fine as RF is great quality.

Hope this helps!

The Box plans are designed by JBLCamry here on the forum and are what SSA recommends.

Most subwoofers are able to play below tuning. Just be careful with the volume knob and do not use any bass boost.

I would not go any higher than 35hz with the DCON and not any lower than 28hz. As far as my recommendation I like the 35hz tuning because I feel I get the bost of both low loud rap style bass and the tighter faster transient attack of rock and metal.

Hope this helps!

All of this ^ will make a you a happy Danometal.

Post pics of your build.

Hope this helps!

When my tax money comes, it a DEAL. SSA should cut you a commission check.

Is there a link to the box plans, or should I search out that user? I would like to know the best port area and volume. I'll be using RE's box calculator for tuning. All I got to do is add a little length to one side of the box in RE's calculator to cancel out the woofer displacement, and then there's my true tuning frequency!! Maybe the box plans cover all this, however.

Anyway, thanks a bunch!!

Hope this helps!

All of this ^ will make a you a happy Danometal.

Post pics of your build.

Yea, this sounds like a winner. I got to figure out how to bypass my factory amp in my saturn, and install the head unit. After I get the wires ran, it will be box time!!

those angled braces are just a 2 inch (i think i didn't check it) peice of mdf cut with 45 degree cuts on each side, your average circular saw or jigsaw should be able to adjust to 45 degrees.

those angled braces are just a 2 inch (i think i didn't check it) peice of mdf cut with 45 degree cuts on each side, your average circular saw or jigsaw should be able to adjust to 45 degrees.

Sweet. That makes all the difference!! I should be able to handle that, even being a noob. :)