elastic

4k rms for 18 btl daily

does one 18 btl handle 4k rms for daily listening? in a 10 cft box.

i just want to get the most out of my btl so i think of strapping my two bxi 2610 two 2 ohm.

someone told me one could never have enough rms for music. this guy was running 4 15 l7 on a kicker warhorse.

Probably if you have to ask the question...then odds are you probably shouldn't do it...and will likely result in a broken sub.

There's a huge difference between having power on tap and not using it (Headroom) and having power on tap and abusing it...

10 cubic feet throws up red flags to me anyhow...the larger the enclosure is the more your mechanical power handling goes down...you can't run tons of power with a big box daily driving regardless, unless you have the experience to do so.

does one 18 btl handle 4k rms for daily listening? in a 10 cft box.

i just want to get the most out of my btl so i think of strapping my two bxi 2610 two 2 ohm.

someone told me one could never have enough rms for music. this guy was running 4 15 l7 on a kicker warhorse.

If you want to use a boat load of power, then your enclosure should be on the small side of the recommendation.

Also, 4k requires a pretty solid electrical system.

Probably if you have to ask the question...then odds are you probably shouldn't do it...and will likely result in a broken sub.

There's a huge difference between having power on tap and not using it (Headroom) and having power on tap and abusing it...

10 cubic feet throws up red flags to me anyhow...the larger the enclosure is the more your mechanical power handling goes down...you can't run tons of power with a big box daily driving regardless, unless you have the experience to do so.

Why?

Why?

There is no way around it, the mechanical power handling of a woofer decreases in a larger enclosure. That's they efficiency increases too, it will take less power to reach the same xmax.

The larger the enclosure the more efficient the box becomes. The less power it will handle. 4K is an insane amount for a daily setup. The stress on the electrical alone will cause problems unless upgrades are addressed.

I understand that "The larger the enclosure the more efficient the box becomes. The less power it will handle." and "the mechanical power handling of a woofer decreases in a larger enclosure." but why does this happen?

To put it simple:

Big box= lots of excursion on low(er) power=more efficient

Small box= less excursion on the same amount of power=less efficient

Smaller boxes have less air in it, so it support the cone better=less excursion.

Too much excursion=blown sub.

but i dont understand why the rated power handling of a sub isnt related to its enclosure size.

fi recommends 5-10 cft of airspace for a btl but like you said this power handling is dependend on the box size aswell.

but i dont understand why the rated power handling of a sub isnt related to its enclosure size.

fi recommends 5-10 cft of airspace for a btl but like you said this power handling is dependend on the box size aswell.

Because people would ask all sorts of dumb questions

Obviously on any website they have to be conservative with any spec to a point. Power ratings are also VERY frequency dependent and box tuning dependent. You don't see that on their site either.

The one fact with their specs is that it will take the power it is rated at throughout the range of options they list.

*as long as you use a subsonic of course*