BanginGMC

In the market for a Lift Kit or Air Ride.

3 members have voted

1. 1. Lift kit or Air ride?

First, before you start reading my thread.. i must let you know: I am NOT looking for your thoughts about how this will make my truck look. The style i am going for is what i like and what i want, if you don't like it, that's okay.. but don't make a post saying you don't like it, thank you fellow SSA members.

Now lets get started!

My truck, the one that is in my Signature.. its a "show truck" and i am in the market for a lift kit or bagged so i can raise it so i am able to fit 26-28" rims and still have a big enough turning radius for daily driving.

THIS: http://www.pimped-ou...ar-pictures.jpg

As of now, the truck is lowered a couple inches, not dramatically.. barley noticeable unless you know a thing or two about lowered trucks. I have 20" rims (the ones in my signature) and i have a nice amount of tire, i don't have the size off the top of my head.. and i have a OK turning radius, enough for daily driving though.. but, in tight parking spots i have to take wide turns, sometimes back up.. pull up.. back up.. pull up.. all that fun stuff, ya know?

QUESTIONS:

What would be the best option for me? Lift kit or Air ride.

What should i watch out for so shops don't fuck me? - or fuck my truck up.

Whats the CONS for a lift kit? - in my application

Whats the CONS for air ride? - in my application

What would YOU do.. air ride or lift kit, and why?

Would i need a lot of fabrication work done?

-----------

As you can tell.. i am just in need of as much information i need so i do get the correct application and don't end up getting my truck completely fucked up. My truck is MY truck i take pride in it and the time spent on it.

PLEASE, IF THERE IS ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD KNOW THAT I LEFT OUT LET ME KNOW!

EDIT: I got an estimate on a lift +install [ he said some fabrication will be needed ] that would fit 26" rims for 4-5k, he seen my truck in person.. but did not actually check it out. ( It was at a car show and he had his booth set up across the parking lot and i pointed which truck was mine so he'd know what i am talking about.)

NOTE: I will NOT be doing the install. A shop will.

Edited by BanginGMC

Air ride is a pain in the a**. I had alot of trouble with mine.

air ride is not difficult but u will never tuck and lay 26s or 28s with air ride on that truck. ur best bet is to lift it.

^^

with alot of fabrication, tucking 26s can be done. you would have to cut your hood though haha. i agree with the lift though, easier to deal with and not as much. ive had both before, a bagged and bodied nissan hardbody. it was cool and all, but to much crap can go wrong. blow a bag here and there and it will start adding up

^^

with alot of fabrication, tucking 26s can be done. you would have to cut your hood though haha. i agree with the lift though, easier to deal with and not as much. ive had both before, a bagged and bodied nissan hardbody. it was cool and all, but to much crap can go wrong. blow a bag here and there and it will start adding up

Like what? why would i have to cut my hood?

Edited by BanginGMC

bc the truck isnt big enough to lay frame on that big of wheels without going through the hood, you would also need to notch ur frame to make way for ur tie rod ends to lay out, also anything over i think a 20" with a low pro tire u have to hack out some of ur firewall and make ur own and get rid of ur heat. its just not worth it...just lift it or go with a smaller rim.

air ride is not difficult but u will never tuck and lay 26s or 28s with air ride on that truck. ur best bet is to lift it.

why not?

he was talking about laying your truck and having it tuck 26s. it would take alot of frame work and moving around engine bay parts to have the room to even get 26s to fit. and even once you get them in, the size of the entire wheel will be around 30 or so inches. you would have the top of your tire rubbing your hood. so you would have to cut the hood in order to tuck the tires. ill find a picture to show you what i mean

he was talking about laying your truck and having it tuck 26s. it would take alot of frame work and moving around engine bay parts to have the room to even get 26s to fit. and even once you get them in, the size of the entire wheel will be around 30 or so inches. you would have the top of your tire rubbing your hood. so you would have to cut the hood in order to tuck the tires. ill find a picture to show you what i mean

this.

OH! Okay thank you for looking for a picture.

i'm going to look for a picture to show you guys what i want, because then you will see what i am actually wanting to do.

smsemashow2006021.jpg

donk2.jpg

donk.jpg

Edited by BanginGMC

if your wanting to put bags to lift it, thats even more aggravating to deal with. thats a good bit more money then just a normal lift kit. but if a lifted bagged truck is done right, it looks extremely good. it basically all comes down to how much money you are wanting to put into the setup

if your wanting to put bags to lift it, thats even more aggravating to deal with. thats a good bit more money then just a normal lift kit. but if a lifted bagged truck is done right, it looks extremely good. it basically all comes down to how much money you are wanting to put into the setup

If i can get the same thing done with a lift kit.. and it'll be fine, i'm good with that.

How much money would it be to make my truck a lifted bagged truck? Around 4k?

honestly it all depends on what you want. it can start from 2 and go up to like 6. it all goes down to the fabrication, time and equipment used.

honestly it all depends on what you want. it can start from 2 and go up to like 6. it all goes down to the fabrication, time and equipment used.

Would a lift kit without air bags be a lot cheaper? more then 1k? -* I will not be buying poor, decent/bad equipment.*

My budget for rims+tires and lift is roughly 10k ( *Rims will be bought used* )

$4k lol. Going to need more than half of that for brakes alone if this is truly a DD. I wouldn't bag for what you are doing unless you want to adjust the height.

Yes i would highly suggest a good big brake kit if you are wanting to do anything more than the 20's that you have now. Forgot to tell you about that yesterday!

Would a lift kit without air bags be a lot cheaper? more then 1k? -* I will not be buying poor, decent/bad equipment.*

My budget for rims+tires and lift is roughly 10k ( *Rims will be bought used* )

My buddy just put 26s on his 69 buick and paid around 2k for the lift (no bags) and some misc. body work.

Plan on spending a good chunk of money. You're looking at a lot of shit to lift it to fit that big of a wheel. Personally I don't understand the fad, but one will do what one wants to do. Nevermind the fact that I assume this is a 4.3 truck with stock gearing in the rear end. It's gonna be slow as shit too.

I agree with Mr. Holmes. That 4.3 Is not going to like that transition. Neither is the stock rearend. I could be wrong, But I don't think they drive those showcars every day. Best of luck to ya sir ... :popcorn: