Sign in to follow this  
streetbeater07

help with deciding on dual 1's or dual 2's

Im getting ready to order three fi ssd with bp option, but i want to make sure i get the right ones for my application. I will be running 3 of the 12 inch ssd's off of 2500 watts at 1 ohm. my question is, do i need dual 1 ohm or dual 2 ohm subs?

What is the actual coil impedance? Are they dead on 1 or 2 ohm, or are the impedances actually lower or higher?? I want to do 3 dual 1's ran in series and then paralleled all together at .67 ohm, but if the actual driver impedance is lower than 1 ohm per coil, the total impedance may be a lot lower and i don't want to risk burning up my amp. Now, on the other hand, if i go with dual 2's and wire them in series then paralleled all together, i would be looking at around 1.3 ohms. I want to get as close to 1 ohm as possible so if i go with d2's and they are actually higher than 2 ohms each coil, my final impedance will come out closer to 2 ohms.. So basically what i need to know is do the coil configurations normally run higher or lower impedances from the factory?

i prefer someone from FI answer this question. i emailed nick yesterday but haven"t gotten any response yet...

im not from fi but this is what it says on the SSD page for the 12

Dual 1 Dual 2

Re: 0.7 Ohms/coil | 1.4 Ohms/coil

I would suggest getting the dual 2's for a few reasons. First of all, .67 is quite close to .5 ohm which is fairly hard on an amplifier and requires a very reinforced electrical to run it. Second of all, music is dynamic and the impedance actually changes with the frequency that's played, continuously. It's NEVER the same impedance due to that AND heat which causes impedance rise in the first place. IMO unless you're doing this install to burp and get #'s on the TL you won't notice that much of a difference between the power output from 1.333 to .67, it will be easier on your amp and help it live longer, and easier on your electrical. I believe there's a topic on here on just that subject. Just my .02

i talked to scott last week... get three dual 2's there actuall load will be .93

Thanks guys i really appreciate your help..thats exactly what i wanted to know. You saved me some time and money...

Don't confuse impedance and resistance. They are not the same thing and it happens quite often. The impedance is a nominal number and will constantly fluctuate when playing. When in doubt always go higher than the amp's lowest rated impedance.

Don't confuse impedance and resistance. They are not the same thing and it happens quite often. The impedance is a nominal number and will constantly fluctuate when playing. When in doubt always go higher than the amp's lowest rated impedance.

ok thanks for clearing that up. one more question for you, if i go with the ssd's do i need to get the bp power options and flatwind coils? what do these actually mean? It will only be a daily driver setup with 2500 watts. I wanted to get the bp power option because of the extra cooling it adds but dont really know if i should get the flatwind coil?? I hate to spend the extra money on options if i really dont need them> thanks guys for your help

There is an explanation of the flatwind coil on Fi's site, I believe in the tech section.

Sign in to follow this