jkcummi

Fi Q vs. Fi BL

Hello everyone I'm Jesse. I was wondering what kinda sound differentiality may come between the BL vs. the Q. I know the xmax plays a big part in the sound of a woofer. Honestly, I'm inexperienced with many other brands aside from kicker. My main question is, Why does a BL get louder with only 18mm xmax, while the Q has a whopping 28mm xmax (same as the btl)? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that the Q can play a wider variety of lower bass than the BL? Or can the BL kill the lows in the same fashion? Thanks!

Edited by Kingpin808

I'm sure this question must come up often, but my real question would be, is the xmax that allows a sub to either play low vice versa? or can a sub with high xmax also play higher range of notes well?

Hello everyone I'm Jesse. I was wondering what kinda sound differentiality may come between the BL vs. the Q. I know the xmax plays a big part in the sound of a woofer. Honestly, I'm inexperienced with many other brands aside from kicker. My main question is, Why does a BL get louder with only 18mm xmax, while the Q has a whopping 28mm xmax (same as the btl)? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that the Q can play a wider variety of lower bass than the BL? Or can the BL kill the lows in the same fashion? Thanks!

xmax is only one number of many, it is pointless to compare drivers based on only one spec. The BL gets louder than the Q, it is that simple, and it will have no problem with the "lows" if your idea of lows is what rap has in it, what will you be listening to and what are your goals?

Edited by ScreamBloodyGorguts

I listen to a wide variety of music...rap, techno, local, Oldies, RnB, alternative, rock....pretty much everything, but MOSTLY Rap, Hip Hop and Rnb. I guess its kinda hard to filter out what kinda bass a like. I love killin the lows, for example, Late Nite Tip by Three Six Mafia. Or some I love ur girl by The Dream. But when it comes to other music like mainstream Hip hop and RnB stuff, Hittin those beats is crucial for me.

Edited by Kingpin808

Don't worry about it, the BL will slay stuff like that, rap "lows" aren't really all that low when you compare it to say, pipe organ music, which will be too low for you to actually hear anyways lol..........

another thing... when I had my 15" kicker CVXs in a ported box, tuned @ 34hz, it kinda hit late...Or in another words, the bass didnt hit the notes on que...sounded kinda sloppy. I dont want that anymore. I want the bass to hit properly! lol. What makes bass hit a little late like that?

the BL has more motor force than the Q so it has more SPL per stroke than the Q.

Higher Xmax allows you to play lower freq. at high Db. You can see that the Q has lower Fs than the BL.

get the bl, tune low, and put it in a box in fi's recommendations...more towards the higher end of their recommendation. u will love it.

the Q has a lower frequency response. the bl is more of a daily spl type sub, the q is more of a daily ""SQL"" type sub.... bl will get louder.... in optimal conditions, the q will have a flatter response and not as peaky, will drop lower and imo be more transient.... as for sloppy bass, throw the Q in a sealed enclosure and your substage will be right behind if not on par with your midstage.

the Q has a lower frequency response. the bl is more of a daily spl type sub, the q is more of a daily ""SQL"" type sub.... bl will get louder.... in optimal conditions, the q will have a flatter response and not as peaky, will drop lower and imo be more transient.... as for sloppy bass, throw the Q in a sealed enclosure and your substage will be right behind if not on par with your midstage.

the q is not an ""SQL"" subwoofer, it is a sq subwoofer. it was not at all intended to get loud. to the o.p. get the bl, tune low and build a good box inside fi's recommendations

thanks for all the help guys. i was hoping that the Q was better for me because its cheaper., but now Im gonna sit back and think about the pros and cons before any drastic changes in my wallet.

the Q has a lower frequency response. the bl is more of a daily spl type sub, the q is more of a daily """"SQL"""" type sub.... bl will get louder.... in optimal conditions, the q will have a flatter response and not as peaky, will drop lower and imo be more transient.... as for sloppy bass, throw the Q in a sealed enclosure and your substage will be right behind if not on par with your midstage.

the q is not an """"SQL"""" subwoofer, it is a sq subwoofer. it was not at all intended to get loud. to the o.p. get the bl, tune low and build a good box inside fi's recommendations

shut up idiot. it aint a true sq sub you dumbass...... when have you ever heard of a true sq woofer with an rms rating of 1000. get real. dont correct me.

fyi when have you heard a sub off of 1000 watts that didnt get loud. just because you whore this forum doesnt mean you know shit.....

Definitely not a true SQ sub, but also definitely not what the OP wants either. For his listening preferences the BL will be way better.

Ok, i also forgot to mention that im plannin on gettin two 12s. Would that change any opinions?

Not sure why that would make a difference.

The question whether 2 12's or 1 of something else might be worth looking into, but not knowing the space etc... it is pretty hard to tell.

and how much power are you planing on running? because you said you hoped the q was a better choice cuz it fit your budget more.. have you looked at the SSD? entry level... yes but a hell of a sub. very very under rated

i have a kicker KX2500 that I was using for my 2 15 cvx's. sold those. it was loud but no where near what I wanted it to sound like. I wanted to try something completely different, and pray to god I make the right decision lol. It's gonna go into a 4runner 98'. Once again, thanks to all of u who are trying to help me decide. Makes it more worthwhile lol.

Was gonna do 4 12s. But i decided that i wanted the box to get smaller than wat it was with the 15s in order to save some space. Plus ive never had 12s. In my life. Ive always stuck with 15s. Maybe 12s r somethin i would love that ive been deprived of all my life? LOL

Perhaps you should focus on your needs and goals instead of just trying something new. We could recommend something that will fit your needs, but need you to share them first.

LOL, the 2 12" BL's in proper enclosure will make you shit yourslef compared to the Kicker. hahahahaa...

definitely want to save space. the two 12s max dims would be 5 cubes or so, which is perfect. I use to have a total of over 8.5 cubes taken up my trunk, but that was too much for me. I want to enjoy listening to all genres of music, but at the same time keeping up with my previous set up. it would be kinda disappointing if what I buy doesnt compare to the cvxs.

I did have a 15" RE MX before, but I wasnt impressed by the sound. It played real low, but the midrange was crap. The way i feel now, it seems as if 15s dont play in the midrange too well, unless u tune high. But from what ive heard of 12s, even if you tune lower, the midrange can still be audible, in a sense that it blends in with the overall sound of the system. This is why I wanted to try 12s instead.

Ive had experience with RE SE 12s, it was in my friends car. I really liked how it sounded. It was tuned to 3hz, but it had a flat response, and played low for a 12. Im kinda lookin for something similiar, and at the same time adding a lot more power. I was actually planning on buying the 4 12 se's, but I switched over to doin some research on Fi subs. It felt rediculous to buy 4 12's. it would just take up too much space. So instead, I want to get 2 monster twelves. I've thought about the RE SX cuz I was impressed with what 1 12 sounded like. pretty much blew away my 2 15s in the low bass department. But im really interested in the Fi's because it looks nicer IMO. And with all the options, especially customized colors, it reeled me in. I know that Fi has some awesome subs, which is why im not afraid to take the Fi route. I hope all of my thoughts help!!!

You can have 5 cu ft gross for the box, and you want to be louder than your cvx's ?

It sounds like a btl on 2000 watts.

The size of the sub should depend only on the size of the box.

It's something I learned on this forum ! :) :)