antonmiller

12" BTL Motor without rubber boot ok?

so i went to put the sub in the box i made for it and it didnt fit in the hole. lol. so i got to sanding the hole out (left my jigsaw at a buddies house) and i soon realize that after about 45 min of sandin the hole out that if i take the rubber boot off it will go in the hole. and the sub basket must be smaller than the magnet itself cause after getting it in the hole there is alot of play. so one of my question is can i put the sub in without the rubber cover? logic says yes, but i dont know if there is a function to the boot or not. and how do people hook up the terminals? lol. seeing as the magnet is the same size as the hole i have for it how do you get your hands down to get the wire and hook it up? i might have to mount a little terminal plate on the back of the box to get my hand in there to hook it up. but for now without another way to access the sub from behind or the side how do you do it?

thanks,

If the baffle is only 3/4" thick you could put the sub in slanted and wired. If not, you will probably have to connect the wires after the sub is in the box.

Another option is to have somebody hold the sub, magnet in the box and wire it then.

I dont think the boot has a purpose, besides just eye candy :shrug:

If the baffle is only 3/4" thick you could put the sub in slanted and wired. If not, you will probably have to connect the wires after the sub is in the box.

Another option is to have somebody hold the sub, magnet in the box and wire it then.

nope, baffle is 1.5" thick. and the biggest issue is getting the magnet in and out! i mean the magnet is so damn big that i cant really got that big with the hole. the magnet has to be about an 1/8" bigger per side so a total of .25 on the diameter compared to the basket. thats huge! on there website it says the sub cutout hole should be 11.125 but that cant be right. cause i built it to that maybe even a little bigger and i still had to sand it down. IDK, i can get the sub in now, but its very difficult to get it out. the magnet gets cocked any you need to push it back in then come out as straight as possible. IDK maybe im just ranting and little frustrated from a day wasted trying to get the damn thing to fit into the box i already made.

That's what you get for buying a btl 12 :P

I'm struggling the same every time but I'm lucky to have the port opening right next to the sub.

That's what you get for buying a btl 12 :P

I'm struggling the same every time but I'm lucky to have the port opening right next to the sub.

yea i finally got it in and all is good. lol. but its gunna be a nightmare getting it out. haha, oh well like you say thats what i get. haha.

It's easiest to just take the boot off..its just for looks anyhow.

The cutout diameter is nearly the same as the magnet diameter (11.25")

Just imagine if you had the LV510.. :suicide-santa: the mag. is bigger then the fuckin mug shot! haha good luck bro

Edited by BanginGMC

Just imagine if you had the LV510.. :suicide-santa: the mag. is bigger then the fuckin mug shot! haha good luck bro

...which is why we won't make a BTL 10...because the cone geometry sucks and it's just..dumb.. :)

...which is why we won't make a BTL 10...because the cone geometry sucks and it's just..dumb.. :)

but it looks kewl.....

btl10.png

So how would you even go about mounting something like that?

So how would you even go about mounting something like that?

Well they say they have a "Mounting System" but people i know just cut the baffle in half then glued it back together.

"Only issue was the motor is larger than the cut-out for the basket. This is why we developed the LV510 Mounting System. It allows you to over-size the cutout to allow the motor to pass through but still be able to mount the driver without needing a split baffle or inverted sub" - DCsoundlab.com

EDIT: Can you imagine though? "Okay guys we have the prototype ready, lets put this sucker in a box and start pounding... mike go grab that box.... oh fuck..."

Edited by BanginGMC