Sign in to follow this  
Dpaw37

I am so tempted to grab these babies...

Found a deal for 2 great condition AA Avalanche 15's with the xbl^2 technology motors. Both for $500 plus shipping. Sound like a deal or what? I was planning on using my 15" Q for a budget setup but from what I know about the old avalanches I want them so bad...even though I'd have to get a better amp, bigger box and upgrade my electrical I can just imagine how worth it it would be.

Ideas?

Btw they are both dual 2 ohm subs so I'd be looking at what options as far as amp load and such? And by that I mean that I know what loads are possible but what could be the best way to go about it?

Edited by Dpaw37

Found a deal for 2 great condition AA Avalanche 15's with the xbl^2 technology motors. Both for $500 plus shipping. Sound like a deal or what? I was planning on using my 15" Q for a budget setup but from what I know about the old avalanches I want them so bad...even though I'd have to get a better amp, bigger box and upgrade my electrical I can just imagine how worth it it would be.

Ideas?

Btw they are both dual 2 ohm subs so I'd be looking at what options as far as amp load and such? And by that I mean that I know what loads are possible but what could be the best way to go about it?

ohhh, that'd be sick....get them here is the plan...

The final impedance load you can achieve with those two subs while having the most amplifier options is 2 ohms. Wire each sub's voice coils in series, then the two subs in parallel.

Amps that put out 2000 watts at 2 ohms are pretty damn expensive...Wish they were both dual 4 ohm. Asked if I could get one he said if someone else wants just one he'd work something out. How much louder would one get than my 15" Q?

Amps that put out 2000 watts at 2 ohms are pretty damn expensive...Wish they were both dual 4 ohm. Asked if I could get one he said if someone else wants just one he'd work something out. How much louder would one get than my 15" Q?

Dude, just get an amp that is .5 ohm stable or get two smaller amps that are 1 ohm stable and preferably daisy chainable. :)

Dude, just get an amp that is .5 ohm stable or get two smaller amps that are 1 ohm stable and preferably daisy chainable. :)

Don't have the electrical atm to support .5 ohms really. And how would I go about using 2 amps? Never researched into it I've only ever used one amp.

What is your budget for an amp?

Research "strapping" or "daisy chaining" amps. Both the same thing. Many 1,000 watt @ 1 ohm amps can do it, and they'll end up giving you 2,000 @ 2 ohms.

Research "strapping" or "daisy chaining" amps. Both the same thing. Many 1,000 watt @ 1 ohm amps can do it, and they'll end up giving you 2,000 @ 2 ohms.

Any idea if the RD 1000.1D can do it? If that's the case I'd be in good shape would just have to grab another one.

If anyone knows of any good amps that are linkable let me know.

Edit: Answered my own question the amp I have DOES have that capability which is awesome. Looks like I would just need another RD 1000.1D, if I were to go with the Avalanches.

Anyone got any info on how EXACTLY to do this? I see you chain the amps through the rca's in turn sending the exact same signal to both, but what about power etc? Also, I imagine setting the gains perfectly to match would be difficult? What of all the options on the amps?

Edited by Dpaw37

Any idea if the RD 1000.1D can do it? If that's the case I'd be in good shape would just have to grab another one.

Edit: Answered my own question the amp I have DOES have that capability which is awesome. Looks like I would just need another RD 1000.1D, if I were to go with the Avalanches.

Anyone got any info on how EXACTLY to do this? I see you chain the amps through the rca's in turn sending the exact same signal to both, but what about power etc? Also, I imagine setting the gains perfectly to match would be difficult? What of all the options on the amps?

why not keep it simple and run 1 amp to 1 sub?

why not keep it simple and run 1 amp to 1 sub?

How would that work exactly?

if each sub is dual 2 ohm then wire each wire to 1 ohm (separately) so all you need is 2 amps ( 1 for each sub) that make power at 1 ohm..

again you would just take sub number 1, wire it in parallel to 1 ohm and hook that up to amp number 1.. and repeat for sub 2 and amp 2.

And for rca's? What about gain/other settings like filters? Wouldn't it be better to use the second amp as a slave basically creating one big amp? Then again, I've never done either.

Each amp may be different in how they strap amps. Your best bet would be to look in the owner's manual. But you hook up power and grounds the same, those never change. The only difference is usually in RCAs in that you wire from the head unit to the master amp, then output from the master to the slave. Then there should be a master/slave switch on each amp that you will have to have on the correct setting. Then you can use only the master's gain and control both amps. The ability to only use one amp's gain is the most helpful in this process, since if you wire up each amp to one sub individually you'll have to gain match the amps.