Sign in to follow this  
cjj2d

My Mag is gonna cost me $400....

well not really funny but the guys at the tire shop got one hell of a laugh out of my visit.

So I went to get my tire patched do to a nail. No biggie right? well after they patch it they call me out there and show me my back tire how it is worn badly on the insides. And they are less than a year old. So we start talking about what caused it, and they say it is probably the alignment since they were just rotated and use to be on the front and the front ones show a little wear also.

Well they throw it up and put the machine on it to align it. They then come back inside and he asks me "Do you tend to carry a heavy load around often? cause your back end is really low."

Well it turns out that my Mag is what is causing the wear on the tires do to the weight of the Box and speaker it is causing the tires to wear on the inside walls. So when I tell them I have a large box and speaker in the back they pop the trunk and start laughing. It was funny cause the tires were aligned just fine and this is what was the cause. They said this was a first time that they had a problem like this.

SO to prevent me from having to replace my tires every year I need new stronger Struts.... which are going to be about $350-400!!!!!

But the guy told me since I do all my business there he will work that price down some for me.

So My Mag is now costing me an additional $400.... oh well its better than replacing $125 tires every year.

Just thought you all would get a kick out of this story.

well not really funny but the guys at the tire shop got one hell of a laugh out of my visit.

So I went to get my tire patched do to a nail. No biggie right? well after they patch it they call me out there and show me my back tire how it is worn badly on the insides. And they are less than a year old. So we start talking about what caused it, and they say it is probably the alignment since they were just rotated and use to be on the front and the front ones show a little wear also.

Well they throw it up and put the machine on it to align it. They then come back inside and he asks me "Do you tend to carry a heavy load around often? cause your back end is really low."

Well it turns out that my Mag is what is causing the wear on the tires do to the weight of the Box and speaker it is causing the tires to wear on the inside walls. So when I tell them I have a large box and speaker in the back they pop the trunk and start laughing. It was funny cause the tires were aligned just fine and this is what was the cause. They said this was a first time that they had a problem like this.

SO to prevent me from having to replace my tires every year I need new stronger Struts.... which are going to be about $350-400!!!!!

But the guy told me since I do all my business there he will work that price down some for me.

So My Mag is now costing me an additional $400.... oh well its better than replacing  $125 tires every year.

Just thought you all would get a kick out of this story.

That shop is full of idiots. Don't ever go back there again! If they even think that that small amount of weight is causing the uneven tire wear, they should not be in the business.

Keep in mind, that 99% of all vehicles are over-engineered. Meaning, the vehicle was designed to carry an extra load, such as groceries, anything in the trunk, etc. . . . You can pretty much bet your simple system is not taxing the suspension much atall.

Now, one thing that crosses my mind is the load rating on the tires. Could be that you have cheaper tires not designed for the load capacity of your particular vehicle. Now, this is not too common anymore, unless you are trying to put a sport-compact designed tire on a truck or something like that, but it is a possibility.

The largest cause of eneven tire wear in the rear of a vehicle is over/underinflation. Add to that fact the tires were rotated from the front, where the wear obviously occurred first and youre asking for increased wear in a shorter time spand.

Also keep in mind, ride height will be determined by the springs and not the shocks/struts. The shock/strut is there to control vibration and movement along with the spring. Just for chits and giggles, remove the rear shock/strut. I'll bet you don't lose or gain any clearance.

Besides incorrect tire pressure, incorrect toe alignment will also cause pre-mature wear.

Besides incorrect tire pressure, incorrect toe alignment will also cause pre-mature wear.

I was speaking about the rear only. ;) Toe will not be adjustable on the rear unless it's 4WD/AWD, or rear steering.

ahh, wasn't sure what was adjustable on that thing :)

Well, everything's adjustable with a torch and hammer. :P

Okay, back on-topic.

The damaging effects of the almighty Magnum D2! :P

PartII: The NEW AND IMPROVED SID2 now with twice the damaging power!

yeah, I have been thinking about this alot today. And since my left rear tire was low for almost a week I am sure that had some to do with the wear on the inside of the right rear tire. I am going to keep an eye on it closer.

As far as load limit on the tires they are Kelly Navigator Platinum tires. Their were two other types of tires that were cheaper when I got these but I didn't want to go for the cheap ones and have to replace them sooner, or have problems. I like these tires alot.

And if you were to look at my car you would definatly say that yes the system is putting quite a load on the suspension. There is only about an inch and a half between my back tires and fenders. I have always thought it was real low.

Anyways I will keep a close eye on it. And this weekend when I take out my box, amps, and sub I will be able to tell just how much load it is on the car.

I was speaking about the rear only.  ;)  Toe will not be adjustable on the rear unless it's 4WD/AWD, or rear steering.

Not so, my car has rear toe adjustment. :P

I was speaking about the rear only.

I have no rear toe adjustments......

so I will definatly be check all cheaper solutions first. I am not in a hurry to put new struts on a practically brand new car.

and on a side note: customs sucks!!! :finger:

An inch of clearance? Is your box made of concrete? How old is the car....maybe the struts are just old and that is why? And a week with low air is not gonna do that kinda damage.

my box and mag together probably weighed 70 lbs, I didn't have problems like that...

Again... struts have no bearing on ride height (unless they are air or coilover-type). Springs are what keep the vehicle suspended, and struts/shocks are what keeps the springs from bouncing all over the place.

I am not going to even guess what my H2 and the double layered and supported box weights

yeah, this is really starting to bother me. Cause if the low tire pressure on the left side was not enough to do this to my right side tire, and the weight is not it, then what the hell is wrong here.

I have never had a problem with the weight of my box + etc be a problem. Hell I use to have 3 12s, 3 amps, amp rack, plexiglass, and more in my trunk of my old Maxima and never had a problem at all.

yeah, this is really starting to bother me. Cause if the low tire pressure on the left side was not enough to do this to my right side tire, and the weight is not it, then what the hell is wrong here.

I have never had a problem with the weight of my box + etc be a problem. Hell I use to have 3 12s, 3 amps, amp rack, plexiglass, and more in my trunk of my old Maxima and never had a problem at all.

Could be that your suspension is simply fudgeed. :(

I've never had problems with my 15" D2 causing tire wear, nor have i heard of it. however you should get your vehicle aligned with the amount of weight you normally carry in there, so if you aligned it before you put the box in there it may be a tad off, although if they say they checked it and it's fine......

a worn part on the front end can cause uneven tire wear. usually underinflated tires wear on both the inside and the outside, and with it only being underinflated for a week, that's not long enough to cause serious damage, unless it was severely underinflated and it damaged the tire when you drove on it, then after it was fully aired up again the damaged tire wore on the inside. but again, you just got it fixed, and if the tire was damaged the tech wouldnt' have fixed it.

i'd wonder about worn parts on the front end. worn shocks will normally cause uneven wear across the whole tread, not just on the inside. i wouldn't have them put on new shocks until they check other parts, because i have a feeling that's not going to fix it.