sgresham

Subwoofer recommendations

Hey guys,

I just finished installing a new system in my 08 Infiniti G37 Coupe, and it sounds great. I will upload some pics later, but I installed a cleansweep, a Sundown 100.2, a Sundown 1500d, phoenix gold rsd components in the front, and an RE SE 10. The RE 10 sounds good, but I know that the 1500 can do alot more than it is currently doing, and I would like to get a new 10 inch that would take 1000-1500 @ one ohm. I listen to mostly rock music, but I really listen to everything. I am not looking for huge numbers, but I do like alot of bass. I know it is a tall order to get a 10 incher to pressurize well, especially in a trunk. As far as box size, I can probably do up to about 1.5 cubes, and I would even do a 12, but my trunk doesn't really permit it, unless I have someone with more expertise than me design me a box with the ability to accomodate a 12 in my trunk. I only have a height of about 11 inches in my trunk.

Is this your trunk?

infiniti_g37_coupe_sport_6mt_2008_other_trunk.jpg

Is this your trunk?

infiniti_g37_coupe_sport_6mt_2008_other_trunk.jpg

That is the one. Thanks for finding that, and that is even the same color car! The only difference is mine is full of amps and a subwoofer box at the moment.

u could do sub up port back.

Yes, I could do that. I've always heard that trunks sound the best sub facing the rear. Is that not always true? Also, when you say port back, do you mean back towards the trunk lid, or back towards the rear seats?

nope.....

Port back means it will face the hatch

nope.....

Explain the nope? I'm confused...

nope.....

Care to explain?

Edited by stefanhinote

nope.....

i too am confused. and to the op, there is no universal way to direct a sub, but im guessing sub up and port towards the trunk lid would be fine. some people put them facing the backseat and some people take the back seat out and face the subs right into the cabin.

nope.....

i too am confused. and to the op, there is no universal way to direct a sub, but im guessing sub up and port towards the trunk lid would be fine. some people put them facing the backseat and some people take the back seat out and face the subs right into the cabin.

I guess that does make sense.

yea it really just depends on what you want to do...as long as the air gets into the cabin and your not looking to get crazy high tl scores, you should be fine doing whatever u want.

Ok, knowing the max box size I could probably do with that being the case is about 2 cubes before displacement. Now if I moved my amps from where they currently are, I could get alot more than that, probably even up to about 3.5 cubes, then I don't know where I sould put the amps though. I will take some pics of the trunk tomorrow with the way I have everything mounted.

There is an Fi BL 10 in the classifieds section that could take that power.

hell if u can get 3.5 after displacement and port, you could do a 15" nightshade...they like smaller boxes...3.5 is their maximum recommended.

To give you a better response instead of just giving you shitty recommendations, go measure your trunk with the room you have available with the amps where you want them (height x width x depth). Once you give us your measurements and budget for subs then we can give you some suggestions on subs.

To give you a better response instead of just giving you shitty recommendations, go measure your trunk with the room you have available with the amps where you want them (height x width x depth). Once you give us your measurements and budget for subs then we can give you some suggestions on subs.

I'm at work right now, but I will try to do that when I get home. As far as the 15 inch NS is concerned, I could possibly fit it, but it would for sure take up the whole trunk, and I'm not sure if I'm ready to do that. As it is, my box and amps are taking up the whole trunk.

Ok, first of all, here is a pic of my trunk now. The pic is not the best, as I took it with my cellphone. The two amps are a Sundown 100.4 and a Sundown 1500d. The sub is a 10 inch RE SE. This sub is in a sealed box @ .76 cubes before displacement.

E420.jpg

As far as space for a box, I have as much as 31x10x24 for a volume, before port and sub displacement of about 3.2 cubes. This would allow me to keep the amps basically where they are, and I could also fit the box in the car without building the box in the car. As far as the bass goes, I like the way the RE sounds, but I would like more bass. I used to have 4 15s walled off in a 1994 Camaro, and I know I cannot get this type of bass in a trunk car, expecially a car with such a small trunk, but that amount of bass literally made my eyeballs shake. It was nice. I'd like to at least feel the bass well in this car.

nope.....

okasshat.gif

Why not try a ported design? If that doesn't satisfy you then upgrade to another SE 10" or look at upgrading to a biger size.

You could run 2 10" icons ported in a little over 2cf after sub and port displacement tuned to about 33hz.

That would be a nice set set up and would sound good on anything you throw at it.

You could run 2 10" icons ported in a little over 2cf after sub and port displacement tuned to about 33hz.

That would be a nice set set up and would sound good on anything you throw at it.

yep that wat i was gonna say or you could do a pair of 8's if you wanna keep the box small.

I may look into that. As far as the RE ported. I have already done that. I built a box at about 1.25 after displacement tuned to 32 hz. It sounded ok, and was definitely louder, but it was sloppy as hell, imo. I've thought about trying 2 or 3 of the SA-8s as well.