Sign in to follow this  
Life Of Infamy

Good or bad?

i got a pair of Obcon 12" shark tooth basket subs for free. i looked them up and they sell for $150.00 each. they came in an R/T labyrinth slot ported box that sells for $130.00, i was just wondering if these are any good unsure.gif

looks like this:

9d84_2.JPG

i was thinking about getting a 1200watt pioneer amp for em'

Edited by Life Of Infamy

hey man, i cant tell you if this is any good for you... how much do you like your bass? is this a hobby to you like it is for me?

well i LOVE my bass, but im strapped on cash. actually i love my bass soo much that it got my butt threatened of getting kicked by some 40yr old guy. ohnoes9.gif

p.s. by good or bad, i mean are these subs quality or not, will they last or won't they. asically are they just cheap no-names or not?

Edited by Life Of Infamy

well i cant say because ive never heard of them. what would be best is to ask a friend with a system in their car and ask to hook it up to his amp. then use your judgement as to how they sound. personally they look a lil generic but i cant really say. i know for a fact their are better options.

my friend has 2 of these 12's in his s-10 in some prefab box and they don't sound very good. if u build ur own box they could possibly sound better, but not much is going to sound good in a prefab box.

Sounding good will come down to the box and install, possibly with the box they came in it wont sound good. If not then just get a box built for them, this will be the cheapest route since your strapped for cash.

just because people on a website say they may not/dont sound good doesnt mean you will think the same as them. you may love them :)

but i would def. build/get a box built to their specs.

or you could try and sell them as a package deal for a couple hundred and get a sub you would feel more confident in.

thanks for all the replies guys, ill probably see if i can get a box made or, i just might sell them.

out of curiosity, how did you end up with them for free? Anything for free sounds good to me :fing34:

If you already have the subs and box, why not just hook it up to figure out if they sound good for yourself? Though chances are that box is tuned to like 42 hz so that will severely limit how good they can sound. But as far as I knew before this, Obcon just made boxes. I doubt they're anything special, but I'm sure they'll play music. Whether they last depends on how you use the volume knob and power on tap.

@frostedflahejake

i got them for free from a friend bcuz he bought a single cab truck, so the subs were of no use to him

@KU40

i had a 130watt JVC amp laying around so i hooked one sub up to it. i can say that one sub shook all my mirrors and a full powerade off of the trunk, so i guess they'll do till i can upgrade

I agree with KU40. Find out about the drivers, and then build an enclosure for them and then for an opinion on them if you want to keep them. :)

ill see if i can come up wit some cash to build a box. i have never built one before so this is gonna' be funtrippy.gif

ill see if i can come up wit some cash to build a box. i have never built one before so this is gonna' be funtrippy.gif

I would suggest building a simple and strong sealed enclosure first. :)

if i can sell my bike, ill have a lil' extra $$$ just incase i screw up

@frostedflahejake

i got them for free from a friend bcuz he bought a single cab truck, so the subs were of no use to him

@KU40

i had a 130watt JVC amp laying around so i hooked one sub up to it. i can say that one sub shook all my mirrors and a full powerade off of the trunk, so i guess they'll do till i can upgrade

If those subs are in a shared chamber, do not hook only one up at a time. Very easy way to kill a sub mechanically.

they're in separate chambers.

but to be safe i could always take the unused sub out right?

by the way, KU..

this is probably a dumb question, but how does running 1 sub in a shared chamber ruin their mechanics.

im not trying to chalenge your inteligence because u know 100% more than i do. i'm just curious.

hows anyone supposed to learn if they dont ask questions :)

If they're in separate chambers then you're fine and don't need to take the second sub out.

And I don't take offense, I probably should have elaborated in my last post. Basically with only one sub hooked up in a chamber meant for two subs, that one sub is seeing twice the volume of the box that it should. Even though you may have a (example) 2 cube box with 2 subs, when both subs are playing, each sub only "sees" 1 cube itself. However, if only one sub is playing, it "sees" all 2 cubes. Mechanical power handling decreases as box size increases because the air spring behind the sub is not as tight. As a sub plays and the cone moves, it compresses the air within the box. The more air that's in the box, the more the cone of the sub has to move to compress the air to the same pressure. Does that make sense? The compressed air within the box is acting against the cone of the sub as it moves inwards, towards the inside of the box, therefore helping to limit the excursion of the sub. Likewise, when the cone moves outwards, there is actually less pressure within the box than there is in the outside world, so that helps to suck the cone back in. However, if there is more air within the box, the sub can move farther because the pressure within the box is not building as high on the instroke and does not put as much counteracting force on the back side of the cone.

To view an easy example of this take a sub out of a box and play it free air and note how high you can turn the volume knob before the sub has reached full excursion (warning, be careful as this will be with very little power). Then place the sub into the box and notice how much higher you can turn the volume knob (power) before the sub reaches full excursion. The free aired sub is the extreme of having no back pressure on the cone at all, so it moves very easily and is only dependent on the surround and spider of the sub to keep the cone from just flying off.