Robertw813

RL-i 10 Box Design

Everything I have heard about these subs so far has been positive. I want to give them a go in my new setup, but I might have a problem. Tell me what you think.

I have a regular cab 1999 F-150 so I am limited on space. With the area I have to work with I can build a box that has an internal volume of just under .83 ft^3. Im not sure how much of that is taken up by the sub itself.

Do I need more airspace or is this enough? I prefer SQ to SPL so I was planning on building a sealed enclosure, but am open to a vented enclosure if the sound would be better overall.

I will most likely be using a Mono Block Memphis amp pushing around 500W @ 2ohms if that helps any.

Thanks in advance.

-Rob

well, two issues...

first, unless mike still has some single 4s available, the amp ur using (i'm thing the mclass 500d?) isn't going to work. u can however use either the m class 1000d(which i'd recommend) or the pr series 500d or 1000d..all three are stable to one ohm, which is what u'll need with a pair of dual 4 subs. or maybe a regulated amp (like the jl 500/1 or 1000/1, there are others, like pg) that will give u the power at 4 ohm, which ur vehicle will love ya for!

second, .83ft^3, is that net before sub displacement, and per sub? if so, that'll give ya around .75ft^3 net per sub sealed and that's sweet! if that's not enough,u can do some loose polyfill and that'll help "gain" some internal volume. also, a low tuned ported box would be awesome. of course to me, that's about 36-38hz, and would require about 1ft^3 per sub after port and sub displacment.

now for ur truck, if u don't mind losing a lil legroom, i know 2.5ft^3 ported can be attained, but u have to build up over the trim piece. so ported can be done. but it's not an easy box... f150 box i just completed thread

but if ur after more sq then spl...do the sealed box and 1000wrms for the pair....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Thanks for the reply. It was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Couple things to add/ask.

1) That .83ft^3 is indeed the net box volume. I figured with a sub in there it would work out close to .75ft^3, but wasn't for sure.

2) I am planning on just using a single RL-i 10 for the time being. I plan on using the MCD-500 amp. I'm was pretty sure that I can wire a single 4ohm DVC sub up for 2ohms. If not, I guess now is the time to know :)

3) Forgot to mention that I listen to pretty much EVERYTHING music wise. From Stevie Ray Vaughn to Snoop Dogg. Do you think a sealed box would work better, or a low tuned ported one?

Part of my box building trouble is that I have a split bench seat which has a folding center console. It does partially limit me on how the box can be constructed, without losing its functionality.

-Rob

yep, if you're only going to run one rl-i, teh mc500d will be perfect! (dunno where i got you were going to run a pair of them?? :Doh: )

that box (.75ft^3 net sealed) should work wonderfully in your situation. however, a ported one will give more output with a slight loss of sq. if you can squeeze jsut a bit more airspace, i'd suggest about 1ft^3 tuned mid to high 30's (35-38hz) with roughly 15-20in^2 of port (if u go slot) or 4" round. you can always run the port almost entirely outside the enclosure if it will help ya get the space ya need.

it sounds like you've got a good plan going and don't forget...we're suckas for pics!!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I've got a 98 reg cab f150 and fit 2.5 cubes tuned to 34hz behind my seats. I wouldn't mind giving you the plans if you want to take a look. I've got 2 rl-i 10"s in it running off my 1200w Viper amp. Just send me a pm.

Thanks Kuijo. PM sent.

What is the general consensus on fiberglass enclosures? Don't think I have ever heard a sub in one. Anyone out there have experience with these things? I think it would be fun to build and great for saving some space as well as just cool looking.

-Rob

Nothing wrong with FG enclosures.

They offer some advantages over MDF.

Main one beight weight

Others are that you are able to use all of your available space, and can be very creative.