deernet

Got my second DMCA notice from my ISP today...

Yup, got the second one today. Starting to get a little worried they might finally cut me off. I've got cable internet through Charter now, I'm glad that our power company offers fiber optic internet, I'm just not sure if its available here yet. I'm hoping I won't end up getting kicked off. I haven't downloaded anything in awhile. The DMCA notices were for "The Crazies", and "Repo Men". I always run PeerBlock 1.0, and I'm sure it was running when I downloaded those titles, because I've got it set to run at startup. I'm not sure what else I could do, other than find some more lists for PeerBlock. I think on the DMCA notices it lists the IP numbers of who identified me, I'll be sure to add them to my PeerBlock list.

When I lived with my dad I used the fiber optic internet from the power company, and never had any problems. I might just switch to them anyways. I'm also planning on calling the cable company and denying everything and saying some must have been stealing my wireless internets! :ohnoes9:

Any other ideas on what I can do to protect myself?

Buy movies.

Can't buy them until they come out on DVD.

Wait for them to come out on DVD? The Crazies was terribly awful anyways.

Get netflix or just stream the movies you try to "download" that aren't out on dvd yet.

Either do what they say, or win the lottery :ehh: or just risk it, all they will do is shut off your internet, and you have to switch company's.

I dont know why i never got a DMCA notice lol. i download movies and games all day with issues

I dont know why i never got a DMCA notice lol. i download movies and games all day with issues

I've never had any issues before, and I used to download a LOT of movies. I think its just the really new ones they keep an eye on. I had "The Lovely Bones" before it was even in theaters, and it was a DVD quality copy. I thought that movie was awesome BTW. I don't get why my PeerBlock didn't catch it unless the IPs just aren't known yet.

Buy movies.

Can't buy them until they come out on DVD.

Wait for them to come out on DVD? The Crazies was terribly awful anyways.

I thought it was pretty good personally. Just me though.

Theatres are always an option. Don't think SSA wants to be affiliated with illegal downloading. though, no offense. I mean I was caught by the RIAA and US district court for music 4 years ago. It was a hefty fee. Now I buy everything. Sure ways around it, but not sure if this forum is right for that question.

x2. I only had one problem with Qwest then I switched to comcast.

Theatres are always an option. Don't think SSA wants to be affiliated with illegal downloading. though, no offense. I mean I was caught by the RIAA and US district court for music 4 years ago. It was a hefty fee. Now I buy everything. Sure ways around it, but not sure if this forum is right for that question.

Umm... Its not like I'm giving out links or anything. I'm not affiliating anyone with anything.

Wow... I've heard of this happening but never had anyone confirm it... was it a threat of legal action or just a cease-and-desist letter?

And what I've heard about PeerBlock TBH is that it's really false security, the only tried and true way to stay completely anonymous is to go through a proxy, and even then I would still have my doubts.

Edited by CadillacMatt

Wow... I've heard of this happening but never had anyone confirm it... was it a threat of legal action or just a cease-and-desist letter?

And what I've heard about PeerBlock TBH is that it's really false security, the only tried and true way to stay completely anonymous is to go through a proxy, and even then I would still have my doubts.

I just read the same thing on a few places. And I was just suggesting it may not be suitable, not everyone wants to be affiliated with illegal ripping, I mean I have done it and gotten caught, and paid a lot to get out of it, just looking out so no need to be defensive.

Nope, no threats of legal action. Basically, it just says if it continues they will suspend or terminate my internet service.

I just read the same thing on a few places. And I was just suggesting it may not be suitable, not everyone wants to be affiliated with illegal ripping, I mean I have done it and gotten caught, and paid a lot to get out of it, just looking out so no need to be defensive.

Not getting defensive at all. People talk about a lot of stuff other than car audio. There is a thread about liquor above mine, does that mean SSA is affiliated with booze? As stated before, I'm not recommending anyone take part in anything, or aiding them in doing so. Just telling people about a letter I got in the mail.

Edit: This is also on the front page, guess that means SSA is affiliated with anorexia.

gallery_9_9175.jpg

:drink40:

Edited by deernet

Stop downloading from public trackers. Peerblock only blocks IPs from connecting to you. They can still see your IP listed on the tracker. ;)

Stop downloading from public trackers. Peerblock only blocks IPs from connecting to you. They can still see your IP listed on the tracker. ;)

I'd never thought about that, but your 100% right. I guess if you didn't seed it would reduce your chances of being logged, wouldn't it?

I'd never thought about that, but your 100% right. I guess if you didn't seed it would reduce your chances of being logged, wouldn't it?

They really don't give a damn. If you're connected to the tracker, they'll go after you.

Not getting defensive at all. People talk about a lot of stuff other than car audio. There is a thread about liquor above mine, does that mean SSA is affiliated with booze? As stated before, I'm not recommending anyone take part in anything, or aiding them in doing so. Just telling people about a letter I got in the mail.

Edit: This is also on the front page, guess that means SSA is affiliated with anorexia.

gallery_9_9175.jpg

:drink40:

#1: Alcohol is not illegal.

#2: That girl does not look very anorexic to me. I think her abs are just defined a little differently. Her legs look nice.

#3: You asked for other ways to keep from getting caught in your very first post "Any other ideas on what I can do to protect myself?" SSA does not condone this practice.