Sign in to follow this  
abmoore

Box for 2 XCON 18s

So I don't have the programs required to design a superb box, so I was hoping for some help, even if it requires some sort of payment, because it seems like an intense build to me. I am going with 2 18 inch XCONs and will use a SAZ-3500d. It will be the toughest build I have done due to the size and I want it to turn out great because I have decided to use a theme. I have been deciding on subs and amps forever it seems, so I said why not just represent the forum that has helped me through all of my indecisiveness and taught me so much (tears lol). I want to paint it in a color scheme to match my school colors, so red and white, probably with the emblem on one side, and the SSA logo on the other (already matches). I want the subs to fire up and a center rounded, flared port in the back. For tuning around 30 Hz should do the trick. My goal is to reach 150 dB, but if I come up short that will be fine, I am sure it will be up around there. I don't care about weight, and want it braced sufficiently. There needs to be room for my batteries (probably 2 XS Power 3100s or 2700s, or I will just stick with Deka 2 g31s) behind the back seat, as well as the amps, I may even do an amp rack above them or floating above the box to the sides (hope to use all sundown amps). I have a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe, and my dimensions are H 22.5" x W 49.5" x D1 (from bottom of seat) 46" x D2 (top of seat) 41.5". There seems to be enough room to do optiomal enclosure sizes for the subs. And I guess the subs will be D2s so I can get .5 ohm from the 3500d, unless 1 ohm seems better. So if anyone has any free designs or charges for in depth designs, just let me know. Hope I can get a few people to join after seeing and hearing this creation! Thanks.

Take a look at the Box designs under the XCON technical section ... Sound Solutions Audio - 18" XCON Optimal Ported Enclosure

Saw that, I am not sure how to incorporate a center flared port by using that. I want this to be a challenge where I can work on my woodworking skills, probably with some help from my uncle, woodworking is his hobby. I have built boxes before, just not this size or difficulty level.

Check out my build on page 3. Shoot me your email if that one will work.

Sounds fucking great and was designed by one of the best around.

Contact JBLCamry on here. Also the SSA store offers box designs.

Sounds pucking great and was designed by one of the best around.

Similar, except with a vertical port, although if that sounds good its probably worth a try. You have an XL though, whats the depth of the box? And I forgot SSA does designs haha.

You don't need to run your saz 3500 at 0.5 ohm to have enough power !

Get 2 D1 subs to reach a final load of 1 ohm for the amplifier. It will be safer !!!

3500/2=1750 : it's exactly what the Xcon is rated for. Don't need to give them more.

Good luck on your build !

Great choice of equipments !!!

You don't need to run your saz 3500 at 0.5 ohm to have enough power !

Get 2 D1 subs to reach a final load of 1 ohm for the amplifier. It will be safer !!!

3500/2=1750 : it's exactly what the Xcon is rated for. Don't need to give them more.

Good luck on your build !

Great choice of equipments !!!

I wouldn't mind giving them a little extra, I don't like pushing amps all the way, I like headroom :) also just wanting to see what they do at .5, there are some results out there just wanted to verify.

My electrical wouldn't like that very much, one ohm sounds good.

Edited by NCSU ECE

Your build log is amazing!!! It is really going to help with all of the detailed, quality, step by step pictures and descriptions. I wanted to see someone fiberglass those doors and fit an 8 in there ::): That box does look really good, do the ports along the bottom affect the sound since it is so close to the back, it almost seems like it would act as another port lol. What are the dimensions of that box again? 49.5 x looks to be 28 x whats the depth, yes that was an odd way of asking. The reason I ask is because I would need to fit my batts in front of the box, behind the seat, as well as my amps, unless I use the space to the sides to hold some of that. Wonder if I could just slightly change it by changing the horizontal to vertical slot ports and what effect that would have, I would at least have a spot for my amp rack and batteries.

Your build log is amazing!!! It is really going to help with all of the detailed, quality, step by step pictures and descriptions. I wanted to see someone fiberglass those doors and fit an 8 in there ::): That box does look really good, do the ports along the bottom affect the sound since it is so close to the back, it almost seems like it would act as another port lol. What are the dimensions of that box again? 49.5 x looks to be 28 x whats the depth, yes that was an odd way of asking. The reason I ask is because I would need to fit my batts in front of the box, behind the seat, as well as my amps, unless I use the space to the sides to hold some of that. Wonder if I could just slightly change it by changing the horizontal to vertical slot ports and what effect that would have, I would at least have a spot for my amp rack and batteries.

Thank you for the kind words.

The ports are fine, no chuffing at all. Looks closer in the pics then it really is. The hatch slants so it's closer at the top than the bottom. One thing I did but didn't take pics of on my build was adding deadener to the hatch and a layer of 1/2" dynaliner foam between the hatch and the plastic trim. That helped out a bunch.

The box is 49.5w x 27.25h x 28.5d. Ports are 4 x 22.5 90sq" each. Box is double walled everywhere except the bottom. Each sub has it's own chamber.

I don't know how much room is behind the rear seats on yours, sorry. If I took out the third row, I could add 2 more 18's in mine and dont think the thought has not crossed my mind. lol

The box has a nice flat response, moves a good bit of air, and it gets loud. It is a very nice ground pounder set up. Very musical.

Ohhh you have your third seat in. I have 41.5" basically depth wise. What is yours tuned to. I was thinking 30 Hz with more on the large side of port area.

Tuned to around 33hz, 6cf per.

You have plenty of space for your batts and amps. Might could even go a little bigger on the enclosure too if you wanted too.

That was all I could get with the 3rd row in there, but I am VERY happy with the results.

18's in a proper enclosure and still have room for 7, life is good.

Tuned to around 33hz, 6cf per.

You have plenty of space for your batts and amps. Might could even go a little bigger on the enclosure too if you wanted too.

That was all I could get with the 3rd row in there, but I am VERY happy with the results.

18's in a proper enclosure and still have room for 7, life is good.

9 if you count the seat for your twin babies in the back. I checked I have a little more space right now than the XL with the third row in, so I should be able to decrease the height and increase the depth, then do vertical slots, or one center vertical slot with more square port area, tune it to 30 Hz, and still have room for batts and amps!!!! Now for a design....