mkellypc

Info on 50.4

Hi all,

New to this forum, veteran of Car Audio. I just purchased a new SAX50.4 to run my front stage active (6.5" Silver Flutes and Vifa Vifa NE19VTC ). I know next to nothing about the Sundown amplifiers, but like what I have read. I would like to have as much insight on this amplifier as possible. I mainly bought it for the flexible crossover section, and the good things I've read about it's quality and customer support. I have a RF Punch 200.2 I plant to run mono on a single eD 11kv2. I'm concerned about the two amplifiers being a good match. What kind of real power can I expect from the 50.4? I'm not looking for extreme volumes, but of course want good sound quality at a pretty good volume. Please give me any info on this amp and opinions my set-up. Thanks in advance!

umm you can expect what it is rated for...

Rated power output

----RMS power, 4 ohm stereo

50W x 4CH

----RMS power, 2 ohm stereo

80W x 4CH

----RMS power, 4 ohm bridged

160W x 2CH

Sundown Audio - SAX-50.4

your setup options for comps are either passive or active...but you stated you want to run active?

you seem to know that the amp is very flexible and versile...

so i ask what do you really wnat to know?

expect rated at 12v with a littlebit more at 12+v

and when he says a little he means not a whole lot! (noticable amount)

Yes, I am going to run my comps active. I realize what the rated power is, but know that some amps are rated conservatively (as well as low end amps being vice versa). I'm replacing an eD Nine.4 with the 50.4 due to it's x-over mainly. The eD is rated at 65x4 and most claim it does a bit more. I'm hoping the Sundown will have compareable output, especially with no passive x-overs in line. Is this amp widely used for this application? I see alot of people use the 100.4 for this but not alot of info on the 50.4. I have space limitations (install is in an '09 Silverado crew cab). Maybe some input from people using this amp in a similiar set-up could chime in? Also, for those of you familiar with the Punch p200.2, will it be adequate to run with the 50.4? Also, the 2 amps will share 4 ga power, a 3 farad cap, and the big 3 has been done as well.

Thanks for the responses.

Edited by mine

many ppl like to do what you wnat to do with the 100.4 due to the extra power the 100.4 outputs!

keep in mind the 50.4 is no light weight what you wnat to do can be done and in my opion should out shine the eD nine.4 i have heard a direct comparison so this is how I knwo. but then agian my ears also jacked and sq isn't what i am gunning for any more lol! more spl now.

at any rate welcome to the world of sundown audio you will love there products and awesome customer supportt!and also you get the ability to speaker (emial or post) directly to the owner of sundown who actually knows a whole lot about his product since he designs it i beleive!

the 50.4 is a great little amp and with space requirement in mind they amp will do the trick! the 100.4 just can do it better due to being able to have doulbe the output!

i also believe the 50.4 is discontinued now to be replaced with another amp with less feature due to what the customres what. i guess at 50rms ppl don't wnat or need all the bells in whislte the 100.4 offers lol. also in the works is a dumbed down 100.4..seach the threads in the sundown section and see if you can find it!

you say will share a 4awg cable? what do you mean by this? have 2-runs of 4awg going to each amp or one run of 1/0 going to a distro block iwth 2-4awg outs?

you say will share a 4awg cable? what do you mean by this? have 2-runs of 4awg going to each amp or one run of 1/0 going to a distro block iwth 2-4awg outs?

They will share one feed of 4 ga, spit to 2 very short runs of 8ga thru fused distribution.

I would say you should expect anywhere between 60+ watts rms per channel. The amp is a great amp with a lot of crossover flexibility, which of course you already know!

I had one one in my 06 silverado, I just replaced it yesterday with the 100.4. Both are great amps, I just wanted more power for my components. I love the xover flexibility it works great with my head unit for a active setup.